TN: Idiot Judge strikes down restaurant carry law

This is a discussion on TN: Idiot Judge strikes down restaurant carry law within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Nashville Tenn. (AP) - A judge ruled Friday that a new law allowing handguns in Tennessee bars and restaurants is unconstitutional. Chancellor Claudia Bonnyman said ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: TN: Idiot Judge strikes down restaurant carry law

Nashville Tenn. (AP) - A judge ruled Friday that a new law allowing handguns in Tennessee bars and restaurants is unconstitutional.

Chancellor Claudia Bonnyman said the law, enacted earlier this year over the veto of Gov. Phil Bredesen, is "fraught with ambiguity."

She ruled after an hour of arguments in a suit brought by a group of Tennesseans, many of then restaurant owners. The law allowed handgun permit holders to take their weapons into places serving alcohol, providing the establishment makes more than 50% of its profits from food.

There was no immediate word from attorneys for the state about an appeal.

The measure took effect July 14. Thirty-seven states had similar legislation at the time.
    http://www.tennessean.com/article/D4...w+struck+down+

Once again, Tennessee shows its stupidity when it comes to common sense.

I would like to ask the morons who brought the suit, "Where are the drunk permit holders who have shot up all these bars and restaurants since the law went into effect July 14th? Where are these streets that would run red with blood?
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

2 things.

One is that the State should appeal based upon clear state pre-emption.

Second is that the State should petition the State's highest court for removal of this judge from the bench.

One step forward two steps backward.

It really amazes me the idiots that the media can find to put on T.V. In Knoxville they interviewed two BAR owners, that were obviously Anti 2-A. The PEOPLE on the street interviews where colledge age kids that equate smoking in bars with guns in bars.
    CCRIDER
    Kimber Compact CDP II, Sig 220 Carry Elite, Colt New Agent,

Sig Customer Service, Stinks!

"The more I know about people the more I like my dog."

VIP Member
    Since the governor originally vetoed the bill and had his veto over ridden, I doubt he'll push the AG too hard to try and get the judges ruling overturned. Sorry situation, but we've had it pass here in Virginia twice, both times vetoed by the governor and unable to override him.

What is it that is confusing Judge Bonnyman? The Constitution?
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

A judge ruled Friday that a new law allowing handguns in Tennessee bars and restaurants is unconstitutional.

The whole UNCONSTITUTIONAL part throws me for a loop. I mean I guess somewhere in The right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed it is somewhere coded to read "The right to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed unless you happen to be a restaurant that serves alcohol...."

Gotta love the people who are so anti-2A. Like Mike said, and I would like to hear and see the same proof -
    "I would like to ask the morons who brought the suit, "Where are the drunk permit holders who have shot up all these bars and restaurants since the law went into effect July 14th? Where are these streets that would run red with blood?"
    ~Steve
    BETTER TO BE TRIED BY 12 THAN CARRIED BY 6
    Hesitation kills faster than a bullet.
    If your head is up your *$$ you are unaware of danger. You are in the perfect position to kiss it goodbye.
    Open Carry LAW for Pennsylvania
    http://www.thecrimsonpirate.com/rtkb...pdate_2009.pdf

A judge ruled Friday that a new law allowing handguns in Tennessee bars and restaurants is unconstitutional.
    Hm.

Per the Tennessee state Constitution:

2. Doctrine of non-resistance

That government being instituted for the common benefit, the doctrine of non-resistance against arbitrary power and oppression is absurd, slavish, and destructive of the good and happiness of mankind.
    There's a lesson, here, somewhere.

Tennessee citizens, are you listening?
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

You need a law like we have, it is legal to carry in bars, restaurants, etc..... unless they post an approved Atty Gen "no CCW " sign. You cannot be intoxicated or under the influence of alcohol while carrying. We had the same issue in the first law.... could if over 50% of the business was due to food purchases.... and it was "vague" , so they simplified it and said... OK, you can carry in any of them unless there is a sign posted by the business owner.

Keeps it simple... although I would prefer we didn't need a law at all.

The restaurant owners went berserk over this as soon as it was passed. Another example of business (political contributions) over riding citizen rights. There is a very valid sign law in effect in Tennessee and all the owners had to do was properly post if they didn't want CCW in their establishment. They don't want to be the one to say that they are willing to turn down business. they want the law to do it for them.

BTW, for you out of staters, the law did not make it legal to carry into bars, only restaurants that have bars in them.
    Retired Marine, Retired School Teacher, Independent voter, Goldwater Conservative.

Quote Originally Posted by Eagleks View Post
    You need a law like we have, it is legal to ...
    Y'all need a law like in Oregon: with respect to alcoholic drinks, you're not a criminal unless you engage in criminal actions while under the influence.

IMO, THAT is what's needed. Nothing more. Why? 'Cause upstanding people are not criminals, not looking to get on a bender while attempting to responsibly protect one's family, not looking to harm anyone. The upstanding won't be a threat. They never were. Only the criminals will be. They were the threat before, and they'll continue to be long after this silly statute is dead and buried. And, as is clear in every other state where such "lax" laws exist regarding alcohol, blood is not running in the streets like the fearful ninnies claim it will. It simply has not happened that way. It is, quite literally, an irrelevancy, since upstanding folks are not threatening, even if alcohol is around.

Said another way ...

Q: Who in the world does such a statute actually protect?

A: Nobody, really, other than the business owner who would prefer not to refuse business outright and be seen for what he really is (a hater of people who dare defend their families).

Said simply: It's not about guns, or even alcohol. It's about control.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

I remember when this passed and the restaurant owners were complaining they couldn't enforce the signs they were still allowed to hang up...... are these people really that dumb?

What did they do when someone was in their restaurant with a gun and refused to leave?

call the police obviously.

So what would they do if they had a no-ccw sign hung in the window and someone has a gun in their restaurant and refuses to leave.

call the police.

not really seeing any difference for them. Maybe the media should have brought that up while they were interviewing them, it might have solved this whole problem before all the money was spent for this court case and the ones to come

Distinguished Member Array Arko's Avatar
    This is all getting very frustrating, and may take some time to sort out. For now I'll be avoiding establishments that serve, as they obviously don't want my money.
    "Don't Tread on Me"

Angry

Thats about all I can say right now without my account being ....
    "Stand your ground, don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here!" - John Parker April 19th, 1775 Lexington, MA

Μολών λαβέ!

Quote Originally Posted by Eagleks View Post
    You need a law like we have, it is legal to carry in bars, restaurants, etc..... unless they post an approved Atty Gen "no CCW " sign. You cannot be intoxicated or under the influence of alcohol while carrying. We had the same issue in the first law.... could if over 50% of the business was due to food purchases.... and it was "vague" , so they simplified it and said... OK, you can carry in any of them unless there is a sign posted by the business owner.

Keeps it simple... although I would prefer we didn't need a law at all.
    That is what we had that's what makes this so stupid.

You ELECTED the judge Tennessee so you got what you voted for! Vote them out next election!

BTW, for you out of staters, the law did not make it legal to carry into bars, only restaurants that have bars in them.
    You know that sucks when you're visit Broadway late at night visiting the honky tonks and you have to do it naked with all those homeless beggers on the street.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links