Firearms obsolete?

This is a discussion on Firearms obsolete? within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Yep. - :|...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Firearms obsolete?

Yep.

- :|
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

2. Remove Ads

Administrator
    Ditto that some of the most ancient weapons ever used are still being made today.

Quote Originally Posted by 10thmtn View Post
    You can make a good argument that "arms" refers to the same basic type of weapon used by the average infantryman of the day.

So, if in the future our infantry are armed with Star-trek style phasers, we get to have 'em too! Of course, they'll probably cost a zillion dollars, but whatever...
    I suspect that such future weapons will be considered too powerful for commoners to possess - only officers of the State and standing military will be allowed to have them. We'll be stuck with what we have, now, unless we do something about it, in the meantime. Revoking the NFA would be good.
    - Tom
    You have the power to donate life.

VIP Member

The right to carry a muzzle loaded flint lock

This thread brings to mind a letter to the editor I wrote some time back:

Mr xyz suggest that the Second Amendment should only apply to the guns in use at the time the Bill of Rights was adopted – e.g., muzzle loaded flint locks.

Let's look at the state of the weapons and conditions to which the framers were referring.

The citizens were armed with weapons as good as, and in many cases better than, those used by many of the standing armies of the world.

In fact, even state-of-the-art artillery pieces were privately own and/or owned by private organizations, such my gun club. Nearly all privately owned boats of any size carried some armament.

Moreover, these weapons required no registration, nor a license to own, nor permission to carry, etc. There were no background check. There were no government limits.

Whatever anyone afford to buy, at home or abroad, they could keep and bear.

If Mr xyz's logic requires only the “technology of the time” was approved by the Bill of Rights is right, under the First Amendment’s “freedom of the press” the Roanoke Times can not use high-speed presses, but rather must hand printing one-page-at-a-time, and under “freedom of speech” the politicians’’ can’t use amplification systems and radio/TV broadcast but must travel from town to town by horse and standing on a stump talking loudly, etc.

On the other hand, if we want to look at what was approved as a reflection of what was currently available, let's return the unregulated right to keep and bear arms.

Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    Ditto that some of the most ancient weapons ever used are still being made today.
    Tell us more about this interesting piece...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

a new 'laser' gun ?

Quote Originally Posted by Pro2A View Post
    Firearms made swords and bows obsolete.
    The more I think about this, it's clear: the only thing anyone in elected power till tolerate is a permitted item. Swords don't get permits issued for them. Firearms do, but not everywhere to anyone.

Unless things change, it's entirely possible this core problem will still exist. So long as it does, it's highly likely that the only permitted arms will be those specifically allowed under a license or permit issued by the State.

In practice, no judge applies the 2A to the states. So, realistically, changes in the 2A (to become something else, or to be erased) doesn't change much.

Or do you think firearms are like electricity, communications and transportation that can only get better and never be obsolete?
    I think each of these things (firearms, electricity, communications methods, transportation methods) are only temporarily and currently the best methods available. In time, they'll not be, at least not in their current forms.

Whether the 2A will roll with the punches and cover other forms of arms equally well remains to be seen. In practice, I don't think the 2A is doing much right now anyway. It's roundly ignored as a foundation principle, by those holding the reins of power. It's limited by judges to apply only to the federal governing putzes' wielding of threats against you for angering them, and even then not evenly or consistently.

IMO, unless the 2A becomes 2Aª, a core foundation principle that applies to everyone, everywhere, at all times, at the federal level and state level, and is worded differently and far more stiffly (with teeth), to read "You screw with the absolute right of the People to defend themselves against crime and criminals, you die!," then I don't see much changing from the current situation.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Some sort of focused energy weapon, like a phaser. However, regular firearms wills till be around; firearms aren't vulnerable to EMP type events, whereas something like a phaser would stop working in such circumstances. It's also a good reason to not come to depend on electronic sights too much on your weapons.

Senior Member Array Shadowsbane's Avatar
    So what do you think happens with the 2A if a future technology not yet envisioned or invented makes firearms obsolete? Firearms made swords and bows obsolete. Swords and bows made sticks and stones obsolete...

Or do you think firearms are like electricity, communications and transportation that can only get better and never be obsolete?

Thoughts?
    The internet, e-mail and television are not listed in the constitution, but are still protected under the First Admendment. So likewise the same should apply to weaponry.
    Now, we must all fear evil men. But there is another kind of evil which we must fear most, and that is the indifference of good men.

www.Lonelymountainleather.com

Distinguished Member Array Guardian's Avatar
    So what do you think happens with the 2A if a future technology not yet envisioned or invented makes firearms obsolete? Firearms made swords and bows obsolete. Swords and bows made sticks and stones obsolete...

Thoughts?
    As pointed out, Swords and bows are not obsolete, just not used as much, I know some folks that are more dangerous with these weapons in hand then guns for they are silent.

I do envision the day when lasers or simular will take the place overall of bullets, it's aways off though
    "I dislike death, however, there are some things I dislike more than death. Therefore, there are times when I will not avoid danger" Mencius"

Quote Originally Posted by hudsonvalley View Post
    Hey....is that a 45 caliber rock you got there? Okay, 'cause you can't shoot 'Magnum' rocks in this range......
    Now you've done it... Here comes the 9mm rocks vs .45 rocks debate and of course the .357 rock guys won't join in, they will jut sit back and feel superior...

Quote Originally Posted by 10thmtn View Post
    You can make a good argument that "arms" refers to the same basic type of weapon used by the average infantryman of the day.

So, if in the future our infantry are armed with Star-trek style phasers, we get to have 'em too! Of course, they'll probably cost a zillion dollars, but whatever...
    The "civilian" models just won't be able to go all the way to "full desintegrate"...

I think if you would have said 50 years ago, in the 2000s guns would be made of plastic, most would have chuckled.

So, Now I'm sure in some secret DOD lab, scientist are reading treads like this and chuckling.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

Thoughts?
    Firearms will become obsolete like food, water, and toilet paper.

We will have phasers but civilian models will only be set to stun,Military and LEO will have a stun or kill switch
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links