OSU's Second Amendment Center Runs Out of Ammo

This is a discussion on OSU's Second Amendment Center Runs Out of Ammo within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Wednesday, November 25, 2009 OSU's Second Amendment Center Runs Out of Ammo [Robert VerBruggen] Ohio State University's Second Amendment Center, funded largely by the anti-gun ...

Thread: OSU's Second Amendment Center Runs Out of Ammo

Wednesday, November 25, 2009

OSU's Second Amendment Center Runs Out of Ammo [Robert VerBruggen]

Ohio State University's Second Amendment Center, funded largely by the anti-gun Joyce Foundation, has called it quits. Randy Barnett has details over at the Volokh Conspiracy.

Barnett argues that the Center closed because its purpose — to argue against an individual-right interpretation of the Second Amendment — was rendered moot by Heller. In NR last year, I detailed how the Joyce Foundation funded law-review symposia on the Second Amendment (subscribers can read my piece here).

Whatever the Foundation and Center's problems, I found the Center's head, Prof. Saul Cornell, very sincere in his Second Amendment beliefs and very willing to speak about the controversial law reviews. Even if Barnett is correct in his reasoning of why the center closed, I'm not sure it's all that sinister — my piece was before Heller, and I remember Cornell telling me something to the effect that he'd just as soon the Supreme Court resolve the issue so he could move on to other things.

After Heller, there isn't a whole lot to be accomplished, practically speaking, from studying the history of the Second Amendment (unless you think you can prevent the Amendment's incorporation or dramatically impact its scope). I don't think an academic institution should try to push the debate in a specific direction, but I do think such institutions should focus on topics on which the debate has somewhere to go.

11/25 07:57 PMShare
    And for this, I give thanks.
    Duty, Honor, Country...MEDIC!!!
    ¡Cuánto duele crecer, cuan hondo es el dolor de alzarse en puntillas y observar con temblores de angustia, esa cosa tremenda, que es la vida del hombre! - René Marqués

Well, three cheers for the Buckeyes! I knew there was a reason I liked that state.....
    "Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined". - Patrick Henry

Gives hope that maybe there IS a God.

I always hated Ohio State University, Only because I am a Wolverine Fan and Lived in Ann Arbor Michigan for 10 years.
    "When the people fear the government you have tyranny...when the government fears the people you have liberty."

--Thomas Jefferson --

Me guesses that them thar college fellas is pretty smart after all...they done knows a dead horse when they sees one...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

How Long After McDonald v City of Chicago Will It Be For The Brady Bunch

Assuming that the 2nd is incorporated with Strict Scrutiny, any guesses on when Brady will close their doors?

Remember that both Brady's are getting up in years. Jim is 69 (and still seriously injured by Hinkley, being partially paralyzed, and in a wheel chair), and Sarah will be 68 (and a cancer survivor) around the time of the Oral Arguments (Tuesday, 2 February).
    George H. Foster
    Orlando, Florida

Ah, some good news for a change. Thanks for sharing!
    "In America, freedom and justice have always come from the ballot box, the jury box, and when that fails, the cartridge box."
    -- Steve Symms, US Senator from Idaho, 1990

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    I predict the Brady Center will slowly wither into obscurity as the years pass, but they won't up and quit, as they attempt to redefine, fine tune, and pare the right. There will always be loonies and extremists who can't read the writing on the wall.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

VIP Member
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

Senior Member Array highvoltage's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mi2az View Post
    I always hated Ohio State University, Only because I am a Wolverine Fan and Lived in Ann Arbor Michigan for 10 years.
    Why, because Ohio State's won the last six in a row? It's just a football game.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by paramedic70002 View Post
    I predict the Brady Center will slowly wither into obscurity as the years pass, but they won't up and quit, as they attempt to redefine, fine tune, and pare the right. There will always be loonies and extremists who can't read the writing on the wall.

Hopefully you are wrong, and they will slide under a gas truck and tast,.,.,.,.,.,., Well never mind

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    Me guesses that them thar college fellas is pretty smart after all...they done knows a dead horse when they sees one...

Good one^^^^^^^^^

Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death! Patrick Henry
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

Links