And you think you have it bad (Scotland to Ban Airguns)

This is a discussion on And you think you have it bad (Scotland to Ban Airguns) within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; MSPs to get power to ban airguns | Scotland | STV News Powers to ban airguns in Scotland are expected to be handed over from ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: And you think you have it bad (Scotland to Ban Airguns)

Thumbs down And you think you have it bad (Scotland to Ban Airguns)

MSPs to get power to ban airguns | Scotland | STV News

Powers to ban airguns in Scotland are expected to be handed over from Westminster to Holyrood.

Firearms legislation is currently reserved to Westminster.

But the Scottish Government has argued that Scotland has a distinct problem with air weapons.

It was one of the recommendations of the Calman Commission review of devolution.

Scottish Secretary Jim Murphy is preparing to deliver his response to the Calman report, which made a series of recommendations on which powers should be devolved to Scotland.

A Scotland Office spokesman said that the UK Government would be setting out its response to Calman "very shortly" and that "air weapons will be dealt with as part of that".

The move has also been called for by the parents of two-year-old Andrew Morton, who died in 2005 after he was hit in the head by an airgun pellet in Easterhouse, Glasgow.

His parents, Sharon McMillan and Andy Morton, have campaigned tirelessly for a change in the law and welcomed the news.

Sharon said: "This is the best Christmas present we ever could have wished for.

"This might not be the end, but I feel we have turned a corner and it's certainly the beginning of the end.

"I feel we are fulfilling the promise to Andrew that we made at his graveside, and that is for a total ban on airguns in Scotland."

A spokesman for Michael Russell, minister for constitution, said: "The Scottish Government published the necessary Parliamentary Orders in the summer to transfer a range of key powers to Holyrood, as recommended by the Calman Commission - including over air weapons.

"These changes should be happening right now, but Labour have refused to support any action until after the next election, which is very disappointing.

"Bringing responsibility for firearms legislation to Holyrood will allow us to create a firearms regime that meets Scotland's needs, concerns and circumstances.

"Unfortunately, Jim Murphy and the Labour Party are trying to kick constitutional progress for Scotland into the long grass."

Tint Bob (UK)

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Siafu's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tint Bob View Post
    MSPs to get power to ban airguns | Scotland | STV News

Powers to ban airguns in Scotland are expected to be handed over from Westminster to Holyrood.

Firearms legislation is currently reserved to Westminster.

But the Scottish Government has argued that Scotland has a distinct problem with air weapons.

It was one of the recommendations of the Calman Commission review of devolution.

Scottish Secretary Jim Murphy is preparing to deliver his response to the Calman report, which made a series of recommendations on which powers should be devolved to Scotland.

A Scotland Office spokesman said that the UK Government would be setting out its response to Calman "very shortly" and that "air weapons will be dealt with as part of that".

The move has also been called for by the parents of two-year-old Andrew Morton, who died in 2005 after he was hit in the head by an airgun pellet in Easterhouse, Glasgow.

His parents, Sharon McMillan and Andy Morton, have campaigned tirelessly for a change in the law and welcomed the news.

Sharon said: "This is the best Christmas present we ever could have wished for.

"This might not be the end, but I feel we have turned a corner and it's certainly the beginning of the end.

"I feel we are fulfilling the promise to Andrew that we made at his graveside, and that is for a total ban on airguns in Scotland."

A spokesman for Michael Russell, minister for constitution, said: "The Scottish Government published the necessary Parliamentary Orders in the summer to transfer a range of key powers to Holyrood, as recommended by the Calman Commission - including over air weapons.

"These changes should be happening right now, but Labour have refused to support any action until after the next election, which is very disappointing.

"Bringing responsibility for firearms legislation to Holyrood will allow us to create a firearms regime that meets Scotland's needs, concerns and circumstances.

"Unfortunately, Jim Murphy and the Labour Party are trying to kick constitutional progress for Scotland into the long grass."

Tint Bob (UK)
    The once mighty British Empire has sunk into a quagmire of stupidity and obscurity. It is a husk of its former greatness. What a sad situation for this former global colonial giant.

And you think you have it bad (Scotland to Ban Airguns)
    I have heard the Glasgow Kiss can hurt. Scots better ban heads.

Administrator
    No problem at all.
    If any evil power is ever going to invade - they can just send another plea out to the U.S. and beg to be sent any and all available firearms and ammunition - just as was done before they thought invasion was imminent during World Way II when millions of U.S. citizens donated firearms to the cause of their homeland defense.
    That were ultimately destroyed and never returned...by the way.

Idiots!

Distinguished Member Array tiwee's Avatar
    Scottish Justice Secretary Kenny MacAskill ruined it for me when he sent the Lockerbie bomber back to Lybia. I think they should ban all weapons in Scotland. I will enjoy the spectacle of the crooks and Imams taking over. We need a spectacular failure of a western European country as an object lesson for the RKBA. I thought it was going to be the Netherlands, but it may as well be Scotland.

Next on the agenda they will be banning Air
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Administrator

Talking

yeah...ammunition.

Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    Next on the agenda they will be banning Air
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

I am not surprised. Sad, but not surprised.
    Spent a couple of weeks there back in 1979. Beautiful country.
    But after learning what haggis is, I do not put anything past people that willingly eat it!
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

But after learning what haggis is, I do not put anything past people that willingly eat it!

I hear you but a country that has produced the likes of Sean Connery, Billy Connolly, and Sheena Easton can't be all bad.

The problem they have over there are the "scroats" aka white trash, who have no respect for any law, live off the social and dont have any idea what the 12ft/lb rifle they swopped for 20 bensons can do.

But as usual the powers that be get the old "knee jerk" we are "tough on crime" dance going and in the process screw a large number of honest decent people who just wanna target shoot, or pop off a few rabbits!

Just make firing an air weapon deliberately at someone punishable by an automatic 10 year sentence......then enforce it!

.... cause it's worked soooooooo well in England

Scotland the brave.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Government, even in its best state, is but a necessary evil; in its worst state, an intolerable one.
    ― Thomas Paine

Banning air guns.... May as well ban all y shaped sticks,rubber bands and marbles...
    ~Steve
    BETTER TO BE TRIED BY 12 THAN CARRIED BY 6
    Hesitation kills faster than a bullet.
    If your head is up your *$$ you are unaware of danger. You are in the perfect position to kiss it goodbye.
    Open Carry LAW for Pennsylvania
    http://www.thecrimsonpirate.com/rtkb...pdate_2009.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by SteveinNEPA View Post
    Banning air guns.... May as well ban all y shaped sticks,rubber bands and marbles...
    ~Steve
    That will be next election cycle...
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the **** out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

Quote Originally Posted by mcp1810 View Post
    I am not surprised. Sad, but not surprised.
    Spent a couple of weeks there back in 1979. Beautiful country.
    Oh, come on, Haggis is not that bad. Had some back in May as a matter of fact.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links