Support 2nd Amendment outside NRA?

This is a discussion on Support 2nd Amendment outside NRA? within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; What is the best action for a pro2a advocate if they disagree with a lot of what the NRA does? I am new to guns, ...

Thread: Support 2nd Amendment outside NRA?

Support 2nd Amendment outside NRA?

What is the best action for a pro2a advocate if they disagree with a lot of what the NRA does? I am new to guns, new to politics and have just started researching the NRA. So far I don't agree with a lot of what they do but I want to start campaigning immediately for the right to carry and bare arms.

I want to support the 2nd amendment specifically and not just "blanket" support republicans.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    While you're figuring it out, write a letter to your Senators and Congressmen.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
    Thomas Jefferson

Most states have a pro 2A organization you can join. They tend to address states particular 2A issues.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

I can no longer keep track of threads as I used to. If you need to contact me, PM me instead of asking me something in the thread. Disclaimer - No legal advice issued anywhere. Take care.

Distinguished Member Array TerriLi's Avatar
    I know not what this "overkill" means.

Honing the knives, Cleaning the longguns, Stocking up ammo.

Join the NRA. Support other worthwhile pro-2A organizations like the SAF and JPFO as well, but support the NRA first. The NRA is the big dog, the one with the money and membership numbers to make a real difference in Washington. No other pro-2A organization comes close. I don't agree with everything the NRA does, but not supporting them risks dividing our efforts. We must all hang together, or surely we will all hang separately.

Quote Originally Posted by cagueits View Post
    +1.

Quote Originally Posted by Blackeagle View Post
    Join the NRA. Support other worthwhile pro-2A organizations like the SAF and JPFO as well, but support the NRA first. The NRA is the big dog, the one with the money and membership numbers to make a real difference in Washington. No other pro-2A organization comes close. I don't agree with everything the NRA does, but not supporting them risks dividing our efforts. We must all hang together, or surely we will all hang separately.
    This is a reasonable argument, but there is also a reasonable argument that the NRA is at times counter productive. I am sympathetic to the OP and think that he has two rational approaches.

If you don't join, take the other suggestions and check out the other groups. But make sure you let the NRA know about your concerns. Don't be a jerk about it. Just write them a polite letter explaining your concerns. The point of your letter isn't to make them say, "Oh no, jimtem doesn't want to join, we have to change now!" The point is that your letter is a vote. If they get enough of those votes, they might actually consider changing, particularly if they determine that it would benefit them financially.

If you do join, be active in trying to change it from within. There is no shame in joining a group and having disagreements with it; I think I'd be safe in guessing that there isn't a single Republican or Democrat here that agrees with every single thing that their party does.

Regardless of which choice you make, you have opportunities to help. As sigmanluke said, writing to your representatives is critical (and real letters are better than emails). Again, calm and rational is far better than angry rants. Participate in online forums, write letters to the editor of your local paper, and overall, act as a goodwill ambassador for the 2A and gun owners. Whenever you get the chance, try to dispel the negative stereotypes attached to gun owners.

Distinguished Member Array Guardian's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jimtem View Post
    What is the best action for a pro2a advocate if they disagree with a lot of what the NRA does? I am new to guns, new to politics and have just started researching the NRA. So far I don't agree with a lot of what they do but I want to start campaigning immediately for the right to carry and bare arms.

I want to support the 2nd amendment specifically and not just "blanket" support republicans.
    Good for you, I am a member of the NRA and yet I don't agree with a lot of what they have done or probably what they will do in the future.

A lot of good responses here, check out those sites. You won't regret it and keep up the good fight.
    "I dislike death, however, there are some things I dislike more than death. Therefore, there are times when I will not avoid danger" Mencius"

For better or worst, the NRA is the organization that has the most clout to get things done in support of the 2nd. You might also want to try to find a local organization for your state. Right now just like gun owners, the NRA is sitting back licking it's wounds from the liberal media and administration. They are pretty much toothless right now but they still need our support. In this day and age the NRA is our best shot but the orgs listed above are also good.

Yeah, tell the SC residents that the NRA works for you and we'll poke you in the eye. The NRA tried to work directly AGAINST us when the SC CWP law was in legislation...

Look for a local grass roots gun rights organization that's working within your state.

Quote Originally Posted by Landor View Post
    For better or worst, the NRA is the organization that has the most clout to get things done in support of the 2nd. You might also want to try to find a local organization for your state. Right now just like gun owners, the NRA is sitting back licking it's wounds from the liberal media and administration. They are pretty much toothless right now but they still need our support. In this day and age the NRA is our best shot but the orgs listed above are also good.
    I disagree we have one of the biggest pro gun court cases coming up in February the NRA has also been proactive against MAIG and why do you think with a liberal majority we are not seeing a lot of anti-gun legislation because of the power the NRA has.
    Now don't misunderstand me I think the NRA screws up sometimes such as the NJ endorsement gets too political too willing to compromise and tends to think to much Macro and not concentrate on the Micro but it is still the biggest most powerful dog in the fight for our gun rights and we need to support it.

I suggest you get active with an active 2A group in your state, and with at least one national organization. Another national organization to consider is SAF. You should also be personally active. Write your own letters. Be active in your community. Exercise your rights and educate those you meet. Set a good example as someone who carries responsibly. There are many ways to be active - some require little or no additional effort.
    - Tom
    You have the power to donate life.

Links