NRA: Pro 2nd or government lapdog?

This is a discussion on NRA: Pro 2nd or government lapdog? within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Just came across this article NRA: Pro Second or Government Lapdogs? Price of Liberty I was wondering what everyone's thoughts are....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NRA: Pro 2nd or government lapdog?

Just came across this article

NRA: Pro Second or Government Lapdogs? Price of Liberty

I was wondering what everyone's thoughts are.

2. Remove Ads

an interesting analysis, the guy does make some good points
    HAPPY NEW YEAR
    INFIDELS

Senior Moderator
    They are only good points because they are true.

On some issues the NRA does good, on other issues they play dead.

The NRA is an organization with over 4 million members, there is no other gun rights group with the clout that they have.

That makes it the target to shoot at. If the enemy cannot make a frontal attack then they will make an internal attack from within. I have thought that some of the NRA has been subverted for years. For them to back legislation that would remove legal rights to anything is wrong. They compromise too much and they say that it is needed. I call BS on that.

As far as I am concerned, it has come to the point that it is no more than a list of people that are concerned about their gun rights enough to act on them or do something about them.

This current administration has even called the members "subversive"and "right wing" and not representative of the population.

I wonder if it's all just a show and if they really do fear them that work in their favor,while those that oppose it secretly smile and pat each other on the back for a job well done because they have them right where they want them.

Like any other country in history, we don't lose all of our rights at once. We lose them a bit here and a bit there, not so much at once that you might take notice, and then one day you wake up and wonder where they all went.

The NRA is like two different organizations at times. They do very well when it comes to training. On political matters they act too much like politicians and they give up too much ground.
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Distinguished Member Array nutz4utwo's Avatar
    GOA is gaining popularity.:

Gun Owners of America
    "a reminder that no law can replace personal responsibility" - Bill Clinton 2010.

We could probably find fault with any organization representing us, but the NRA does do a LOT of good for us all.
    If you think that you can apply the pressure that the NRA does...go for it.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member Array P7fanatic's Avatar
    Good question.

There should be no compromise.

"The price of freedom is eternal vigilance." -Thomas Jefferson

"Liberalism is a Mental Disorder." -Michael Savage

GOOD Gun Control is being able to hit your target! -Myself

Convinced me to join GOA 5 minutes ago.
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

Distinguished Member Array sniper58's Avatar
    I agree the NRA sometimes plays both sides of the fence. With 4 million members (out of how many gun owners?), it has much more clout than GOA which boasts over 300k members. I like GOA, but the NRA wields a bigger stick. Unfortunately, the NRA, like much of the GOP has worms eating it from the inside out. If left unchecked, the whole tree could die.
    Tim
    BE PREPARED - Noah didn't build the Ark when it was raining!
    Si vis pacem, para bellum
    ________
    NRA Life Member

I have stayed away from the NRA for quite some time after reading the stuff about the 'brady bill'. the are a self proliferating group, if they don't scare the hell out of us that 'they' are trying to take our guns away, then they don't have the $$$ to pay their high ups.
    I prefer to support more grass root orgs. I beleive in the beginning nra was on the right track, but I believe now they are just crooked politicians themselves...

I go back and forth on the NRA. Unfortunately, they are the largest lobbying group we have. Sometimes they are OK and other times, well. That being said I am a member.

I am also a member of GOA. They seem to be gaining momentum like others have said in this post but I think reading some of their stuff they are near the fringe at times.

Be Safe,

NosaM
    "In a crisis, you will not rise to the occasion, but you will default to the level of your training."

Yes, a bit of both!
    "If we loose Freedom here, there's no place to escape to. This is the Last Place on Earth!" Ronald Reagan

Obligation of Carry by Nutnfancy
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6gIHDHZf1TA

I have fielded phone calls from this organization and they have been crying the sky is falling, the sky is falling. I also came to realize that they have been pulling on the rope too many times.

They are in business to sell memberships and magazines in my mind, and their track record of turning blind eye proves it. I no longer see the NRA as anything other than a money maker and they'll not get mine.

I will support GOA and the Jews for firearms.

EDIT: I sent the link to the article referenced by the OP with a request for them to send me factual proof that the author is wrong. I'll see if they man up!
    “The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government.”

Patrick Henry
    Quote Originally Posted by UnklFungus
    If it is ok to disarm legal citizens to reduce crime, then doesn't it stand to disband the military to prevent war?

Distinguished Member Array Colin's Avatar
    From a Canadian perspective I find the comments funny, up here the anti-gun people think the US government is the NRA's lapdog! I have no doubt they make a risk benefit analysis of each issue and focus on those they can win, while trying to limit the damage of those they think they can’t win. Bismarck once said: “Those that love law and sausages should never watch either being made”

I think it’s ok to have more than one pro-gun organization, it means more people attacking the issue and more resources, the key of course is not to squabble amongst themselves and not to rehash the same ground. We have 2 major pro-gun rights organizations up here, National Firearms Association (NFA) and the Canadian Shooting Sports Association (CSSA) they generally work together on major issues, kind of like tag team wrestling! Both organizations want to achieve the same goals but take slightly different paths to get there, as long as you are not tripping over the other guy and impeding their efforts, it’s all good.
    The NRA warts and all is better than no NRA

Senior Moderator
    The NRA warts and all is better than no NRA
    That is a fact.

Still...its not all that it could be.
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links