Great Quotes

This is a discussion on Great Quotes within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Laws that forbid the carrying of arms... disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes... Such laws make things worse for ...

Thread: Great Quotes

Great Quotes

Laws that forbid the carrying of arms... disarm only those who are neither
    inclined nor determined to commit crimes... Such laws make things worse for the
    assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to
    prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence
    than an armed man.
    Cesare Bonesana, marchese di Beccaria (1738-1794), Italian criminologist, Essay
    on Crimes and Punishments, quoted by Thomas Jefferson in The Commonplace Book

But to prohibit the citizen from wearing or carrying a war arm, except upon his
    own premises or when on a journey traveling through the country with baggage, or
    when acting as or in aid of an officer, is an unwarranted restriction upon his
    constitutional right to keep and bear arms. If cowardly and dishonorable men
    sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be
    prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a
    constitutional privilege.
    Wilson v. State, 33 Ark. 557, 560, 34 Am. Rep. 52 (1878)
    I suggest that if you can find in your inner self the will to inflict violence on someone who is trying to victimize you, and can back up that iron will with all the force that you can muster, you will most likely be successful.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Here's a few:
    Am I prejudiced? No. Prejudice is pre-judgment, without knowledge, experience or the application of reason. I have no prejudice against lions, lambs, llamas or rattlesnakes---- but I know them & their natures, & I would be a fool to pretend lions don’t eat meat or that vipers are non-venomous. I’ll leave that to cawing crows---- & be wary of pointed arrows.- John Connor

You need only reflect that one of the best ways to get yourself a reputation as a dangerous citizen these days is to go about repeating the very phrases which our founding fathers used in the struggle for independence. -- Charles Austin Beard, The Blue Press, June, 1994

When we get piled upon one another in large cities, as in Europe, we shall become as corrupt as Europe.-Thomas Jefferson

The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not. -Thomas Jefferson

"The great body of our citizens shoot less as times goes on. We should encourage rifle practice among schoolboys, and indeed among all classes, as well as in the military services by every means in our power. Thus, and not otherwise, may we be able to assist in preserving peace in the world... The first step — in the direction of preparation to avert war if possible, and to be fit for war if it should come — is to teach men to shoot!" -President Theodore Roosevelt's last message to Congress.

Are we at last brought to such humiliating and debasing degradation, that we cannot be trusted with arms for our defense? Where is the difference between having our arms in possession and under our direction, and having them under the management of Congress? If our defense be the real object of having those arms, in whose hands can they be trusted with more propriety, or equal safety to us, as in our own hands? -- Patrick Henry, 3 J. Elliot, Debates in the Several State Conventions 45, 2d ed. Philadelphia, 1836

How a politician stands on the Second Amendment tells you how he or she views you as an individual… as a trustworthy and productive citizen, or as part of an unruly crowd that needs to be lorded over, controlled, supervised, and taken care of.-Dr. Suzanna Gratia Hupp

"The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will loose." -James Earl Jones

The things that will destroy America are prosperity-at-any-price, peace-at-any-price, safety-first instead of duty-first, the love of soft living, and the get-rich-quick theory of life.-Theodore Roosevelt (1858-1919), letter, January 10, 1917

Jeff Cooper: "Hoplophobia is a mental disturbance characterized by irrational aversion to weapons, as opposed to justified apprehension about those who may wield them."
    I have saved hundreds of quotes over the years.......if interested PM me with an email address & I'll send them....
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.-Seneca

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. If I have a gun, what do I have to be paranoid about?" -Clint Smith

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Jeff Cooper

The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.
    Thomas Jefferson
    Always remember that others may hate you but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them. And then you destroy yourself.
    Richard M Nixon
    Owning a handgun doesn't make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician.
    Jeff Cooper

Links