Before a standing army can rule, the people must be disarmed

This is a discussion on Before a standing army can rule, the people must be disarmed within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; "Before a standing army can rule, the people must be disarmed; as they are in almost every kingdom of Europe. The supreme power in America ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Before a standing army can rule, the people must be disarmed

Before a standing army can rule, the people must be disarmed

"Before a standing army can rule, the people must be disarmed; as they are in almost every kingdom of Europe. The supreme power in America cannot enforce unjust laws by the sword; because the whole body of the people are armed, and constitute a force superior to any band of regular troops that can be, on any pretense, raised in the United States." --Noah Webster, An Examination of the Leading Principles of the Federal Constitution, 1787
    What’s your thoughts?

2. Remove Ads

I hope that it never comes down to the government trying to disarm the American people.

This could cause trouble in America as has never been seen before.

Even 1860-1865 would pale in comparison to the carnage that could take place on our soil.

Just my opinion YMMV
    NOT LIVING IN FEAR, JUST READY!!!
    I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness,
    nor the arrow for its swiftness,
    nor the warrior for his glory.
    I love only that which they defend.
    -J.R.R. Tolkien

Searcher45...U are so true. America would dissolve from the inside out and become a wasteland of death I THINK.
    The words can't and impossible are honey only to lips of losers. "Keith Matt(Me)"

Ruger KP95
    Glock 22/ PT145/ Pardner Pump Tactical/ Century AK-74

Distinguished Member Array jumpwing's Avatar
    I don't expect to see our government forcibly disarm all citizens in a sweeping, monumental effort or by nationwide, forcible confrontation. They will continue to work toward it the way they always have, by slowly eroding liberty in the name of [insert cause-of-the-month here].

Think of it as "gosling steps" instead of "goose steps."
    "The flock sleep peaceably in their pasture at night because Sheepdogs stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
    cafepress.com/bgstudios

Senior Member Array xsigma40cal's Avatar
    Even Tojo knew this back in WW2. I think the quote was "It is foolish to invade the U.S., behind every blade of grass stands a rifle.'' Having said that, yeah, the way the a standing army would prevail in the U.S is if we were all unarmed. And even if that happened, I imagine a there would be a flourishing black market of guns for us to re-arm with.
    I thought about this quite extensively as Obama was first coming into office and how he would bring Chicago politics to the forefront of his policy. As the months progressed, this was very evident as he's taking over the Auto, Banking, and Healthcare industry like he thinks he skim off the top of all the extra tax revenue that he thinks will come to the gov't. Everyone's aware of his position on gun control, thus his cover is blown. This leads me to believe that if any sort of all-out gun ban is coming, its going to happen at the state level as he appoints all the judges he needs to make it happen. Im sure we all have our own individual examples of attempted gun confiscation, I know for a fact that its happening in Minnesota as we speak. Last spring I got a DWI (d'oh) which didnt nearly concern as much as the weapons charge I was facing for carrying at the time. Im sure you all will be chiding me for my lack good judgment, I assure you I learned my lesson. But the point is that as apart of my sentence, the prosecutor demanded I forfiet my gun. Lucky me, I know my way around westlaw and found the statutes forbidding gun confiscation when not used as a part of a violent crime. This statute, coupled with the 2nd that I cited in my affirmative defense made him drop the charge all together. He had no interest in serving any sort of justice as it was supposed to be prescribed. To him, Im a another gun-toting conservative that'll vote him out of office, and needed to be made an example of.

It has already begun ladies and gents. Know your laws, and fight tooth and nail for your rights. For every citizen that wins a battle, whether its in court or for the safety of yourself, friends, and family, we win for many more others.

Yamamoto Quote

Quote Originally Posted by xsigma40cal View Post
    Even Tojo knew this back in WW2. I think the quote was "It is foolish to invade the U.S., behind every blade of grass stands a rifle.''...
    I believe this was supposed to be a quote from Admiral Isoroku Yamamoto of now defunct Japanese Imperial Navy. The quote isn't generally considered authentic.

The quote mentioned was never officially attributed to Yamamoto; Yamamoto was, however one of the most vocal critics of attacking the United States because of his experience touring our country and seeing for himself America's industrial might. He knew that there was no way Japan could win an extended war against the United States because of our vast natural resources and population.

As far as the standing Army scenario, that would only be an endgame option; as previously said, the freedoms we enjoy will be eroded away little by little over time, even if it takes them a hundred years. That is why President Reagan had it right when he said that the loss of our freedoms was only a generation away....
    "Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined". - Patrick Henry

Distinguished Member Array GunGeezer's Avatar
    Making private ownership of guns illegal in the UK, Australia, Canada, etc. has not stopped crimes perpetrated by the use of firearms. It probably hasn't even lessened them. Outlawing guns in the kommunist state of IL., particularly Chicago, has given Chi-Town the the dubious distinction of "the murder capital of the nation". The proliferation of firearms in this country since Obama's election, I believe has actually lowered crimes of violence. How then do the liberal, anti-gun, rectal-visionaries defend their anti-gun agenda's? The same thing happened with Prohibition. One would think they'd learn.

If it can happen outside our boarders, it can hapen here. Maybe not today, or next week, but in time, people would come around. Those that would not, would be taken care of.

I'm not suggesting it should happen, I'm not stating it will happen. Only that it can.
    Last edited by Thanis; December 17th, 2009 at 05:58 AM.
    NRA Member
    S&W 642 (no-lock) with .38 Spl +P 135 GR Gold GDHP
    Glock G31 & G33 with .357 Sig 125 GR. SXT Winchester Ranger

VIP Member

re: Thanis

Quote Originally Posted by Thanis View Post
    If it can happen outside our boarders, it can hapen here. Maybe not today, or next week, but in time, people would come around. Those that would not, would be taken care of.

I'm not suggesting it should happen, I'm not stating it will happen. Only that it can.
    It can happen. But it probably won't happen.

There are more pressing things to worry about. On the "odds of it happening scale" getting nuked seems to me higher than revolt by the generals.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by searcher 45 View Post
    I hope that it never comes down to the government trying to disarm the American people.

This could cause trouble in America as has never been seen before.

Even 1860-1865 would pale in comparison to the carnage that could take place on our soil.

Just my opinion YMMV
    Quote Originally Posted by jumpwing View Post
    I don't expect to see our government forcibly disarm all citizens in a sweeping, monumental effort or by nationwide, forcible confrontation. They will continue to work toward it the way they always have, by slowly eroding liberty in the name of [insert cause-of-the-month here].

Think of it as "gosling steps" instead of "goose steps."

I'm thinking its going to be the all consuming , slowly chipping away the rights bit,
    But then I see other elements coming into play, and I sometimes have to wonder??

Notice how your local PD's are constantly up n down as far as funding for officers and such, BUT around here the Dept . of Homeland security/Border Patrol, seem to have an endless supply of funding???
    Just my observation

"I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them, it is not to inaugurate new programs, but to cancel old ones that do violence to the Constitution, or that have failed in their purpose, or that impose on the people an unwarranted financial burden. I will not attempt to discover whether legislation is ‘needed’ before I have first determined whether it is constitutionally permissible. And if I should later be attacked for neglecting my constituents’ interests, I shall reply that I was informed their main interest is liberty and that in that cause I am doing the very best I can." Barry Goldwater
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

I posted this because I found it interesting just how valuable our founding father’s believed citizen’s ownership of firearms was, and how ridiculous it is for lawyers to argue over camas in the 2nd amendment.

I for one do not believe our current President will try to outright push his anti gun values through the Congress, but I do believe, he will make “key” appointments, that over the years, will have inroads to changing the way our constitution is interpreted.

*A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.*

Notice the comma after the word "State" in the 2 Amendment? The comma defines, supports, and reinforces various grammatical structures and grammatical units. Meaning, the second part of the statement is used to define the first part.

What's so hard to understand about a comma?
    “Most people do not really want freedom, because freedom involves responsibility, and most people are frightened of responsibility.”

“A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity”

Sigmund Freud

Quote Originally Posted by DBRideout View Post
    *A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.*

Notice the comma after the word "State" in the 2 Amendment? The comma defines, supports, and reinforces various grammatical structures and grammatical units. Meaning, the second part of the statement is used to define the first part.

What's so hard to understand about a comma?
    My thoughts exactly

Although I hope that all gun owners would fight tooth and nail for their RKBA, I'm afraid most would roll over and submit to the will of the State. There will be very few who actually "fight" for this right if it ever comes to that.

JMHO of course,
    MT
    "Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." Benjamin Franklin

Steps in the stripping of State's Rights/Sovereignty
    1. War of Northern Agression 2. Coersion to ratify the 14th Amendment 3. Ratified 17th Amendment

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links