Gun Show Background Check Act (S-843)

This is a discussion on Gun Show Background Check Act (S-843) within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Read this summary CAREFULLY....... I got this from my Senator ; it is not just about gun show promoters and dealers, but..... this appears more ...

Read this summary CAREFULLY....... I got this from my Senator ; it is not just about gun show promoters and dealers, but..... this appears more to stop gun show sales (since they consider the major retailer of guns) & / or backdoor registration of guns.

From our other Senator, he stated that "it is so unlicensed dealers cannot sell guns without background checks". His staff and I had correspondence that this is illegal anyway, and they didn't understand the present Federal laws. Now, personal sales can occur, but they are not a dealer. He has changed his stance now to one against this bill.

This bill would amend the Brady Hangun Violence Prevention Act to require the registration of gun show promoters. It would also require each licensed importer, manufacturer, and dealer who transfers a firarm to an unlicensed individual during a gun show to submit, within ten days, a report to the Attorny General. Additionally, S.843 would give the Attorney General authority to enter the place of business of any gun show promoter or any place where a gun show is held, during business hours and without a warrant or reasonable cause, in order to examine records to determine compliance with this act. S.843 would also increase penalties for serious record-keeping violations by licensees and violations of criminal background check requirements.

Read the bill; http://www.govtrack.us/congress/bill...?bill=s111-843

here are some of their "assumptions" on the need for the bill ;
    (5) gun shows, flea markets, and other organized events at which firearms are exhibited or offered for sale or exchange, provide a convenient and centralized commercial location at which firearms may be bought and sold anonymously, often without background checks and without records that enable gun tracing;

(6) at gun shows, flea markets, and other organized events at which guns are exhibited or offered for sale or exchange, criminals and other prohibited persons obtain guns without background checks and frequently use guns that cannot be traced to later commit crimes;

8) many persons who buy and sell firearms at gun shows, flea markets, and other organized events cross State lines to attend these events and engage in the interstate transportation of firearms obtained at these events;

This is also, already illegal except for rifles, yet background checks on rifles & shotguns, are conducted on any sale. Handguns, have to be transferred to an FFL of the state in which the person lives, who must verify all info and do another background check as well. NO PERSON, can buy and transfer them across state lines by present laws just willy-nilly.

Distinguished Member Array tangoseal's Avatar
    sigh
    "I believe that the right of the citizen to keep and bear arms must not be infringed if liberty in America is to survive." - Ronald Reagan

If it's not already hidden in there some where, next it will be that any individual can't sell or give a firearm to another individual with out going through an FFL/background check... This would include inheritance. This is their ultimate goal and that IMO is infringement!
    “Most people do not really want freedom, because freedom involves responsibility, and most people are frightened of responsibility.”

“A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity”

Sigmund Freud

The bill has 16 co-sponsors. 15 if you count only the live ones: Kennedy died since co-sponsoring this sorry bill. This bill is much like the one sponsored by Lieberman and John McCain several years ago. It will not pass the US house, especially since 2010 is an election year.

Links