Carry on plane.

This is a discussion on Carry on plane. within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Back in the day it was legal to fly and carry and how many aircraft were brought down then? I see no problem with carrying ...

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Carry on plane.

Back in the day it was legal to fly and carry and how many aircraft were brought down then? I see no problem with carrying on Airlines. And give me my fingernail clippers back.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

USN 78-82/USAF 82-93 Medically Retired
    Desert Shield/Desert Storm
    DAV Life Member
    NRA Life Member

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by kj5634 View Post
    I'm ok with no CC on a plane, just give me my pocket knife back.
    My thoughts exactly!!

MT
    "Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." Benjamin Franklin

Steps in the stripping of State's Rights/Sovereignty
    1. War of Northern Agression 2. Coersion to ratify the 14th Amendment 3. Ratified 17th Amendment

Quote Originally Posted by cliffyp View Post
    Considering that planes are private property, they shouldn't be regulated by the government. The operators/owners of planes should be able to decide what they think is best for their planes and their customers. People could choose to fly airlines that allowed licensed carry, or forbade weapons, or only allowed pilots to carry or whatever variant they thought best. Imagine that, let people decide what they think is best for themselves.
    Sounds a lot like capitalism. Do we still allow that here? [/SARCASM]

An armed society is a polite society, even at 35k feet.
    rolyat63
    NRA Certified Pistol Instructor

A gun in the hand is a million times more valuable than a cop on the phone!

FL Concealed Weapon or Firearm Program

Senior Member Array Daddy Warcrimes's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by cliffyp View Post
    Considering that planes are private property, they shouldn't be regulated by the government. The operators/owners of planes should be able to decide what they think is best for their planes and their customers.
    When there is a potential for that plane to be intentionally flown into a building that I (or someone I care about) might be standing in, I think a little oversight is not out of the question.

I'm perfectly OK with leaving my weapon behind if:
    1. All persons entering the location are screened for weapons
    2. Access is physically restricted to prevent circumventing the screening
    3. There are security personnel nearby at all times once in the secure area

Airplanes might not precisely meet that criteria, but they are the closest I have seen yet.
    "and suddenly I can not hold back my sword hand's anger"

DaddyWarcrimes.com

Distinguished Member Array BigStick's Avatar

I'm ok with it

The biggest problem I can think of with shooting on a plane is that you are in a very narrow tube with lots of innocents between and behind any terrorist. Having people start opening up could hit a lot of unintended targets. Granted, if you do nothing they might die anyway, but if the pilots are armed and know not to open the cockpit for a terrorist under any circumstances, hijacking shouldn't be a problem.
    Walk softly ...

Why is everyone suddenly okay with not carrying? The default is that you can carry. Some government agent is telling you that you can't carry. Why not? No good reason. If you can trust CCWs not to shoot people up in regular life, I'm pretty sure you can trust them in an airplane. The worry about depressurization is debunked by many sources, including mythbusters. MythBusters Episode 10: Explosive Decompression, Frog Giggin’, Rear Axle

The question I have is: why shouldn't I be allowed to carry on a plane? I want a positive reason. As long as I'm not hurting others in doing so, I don't have to justify exercising my rights as a free American. Other people have to justify restricting me from exercising them. I haven't heard that justification.

Senior Moderator
    Anyone have a problem with the rules that prevent your legal CC while a passenger on a commercial flight?
    Yep. You better beleive it. I have a real problem with it.

Target Rich Environments only benefit the aggressor.

No one else. It just about guarantees a win for the bad guy. Anyone that would assist one with winning should be held guilty of whatever crime they got away with. Including murder.
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

I have extensive experience with the FFDO program, and can tell you that a bullet hole that penetrates the skin of a civilian aircraft will not cause any sort of "catastrophic" decompression. Air Marshalls carry guns, FFDOs are similarly armed (and no, the ammo is not some super miraculous bullet)... law enforcement officers are commonly approved to fly armed... if it were a problem, none of these people would be armed on the plane. Like most of you, I have no problem not carrying on the plane. My plan centers on always taking an aisle seat and not fighting "fair"...

Senior Moderator
    Mindset. Its all about Mindset.

You go everywhere armed and you then all of a sudden you arent good enough to go armed. That annoys me to no end. Yeah, lots of LEO's go armed but it's not as easy as it's cracked up to be and its a pain in the butt.

Why should it be?

Why do terrorists and thugs bent on making a statement pick aircraft, schools, churches or even courthouses to do the deed?

Because all of them are target rich environments where they stand an excellent chance of killing a bunch of people before the LAW finally does get there to whack their sorry tails.

Why should it be so?

I expect Liberals to be stupid, but it dissapoints me greatly to see gun owners act like sheep.
    You might as well say baaaa....baaaa....baaaaaaaaa when getting on a plane.

It's all about Mindset. It's obvious that many here dont have it.
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL

There is no Constitutional right to fly.
    By purchasing a ticket you agree to certain rules.
    If you don't like the rules, drive.
    I have no problem with that.

Quote Originally Posted by Guns and more View Post
    There's also no constitutional right to drive. Indeed, there are many restrictions to who can drive. Would you roll over if the government made rules on carrying guns in cars, because there's no constitutional right to drive?

Think about why those rules exist. They're not because private property owners in a competitive free market all decided that the market demands such rules. They're there because the government made a decision and imposed it on airlines and citizens.

Distinguished Member Array nutz4utwo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 98LSWON View Post
    Personally, I don't think average Joe should be able to CC on a plane due to comparing the risk/reward, plus there are lots of other options for defense/offense.
    YupYupYupYup.

Besides, those seats are uncomfortable enough without having a pistol poking at me
    "a reminder that no law can replace personal responsibility" - Bill Clinton 2010.

Senior Moderator

There is no Constitutional right to live either or do anything else either.
    I do have a problem with that. Just like I have a problem with any place that makes it illegal for me to defend myself. Perhaps someday you will have the Mindset to understand.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL

Every car on the road could become a big bomb and driven into buildings. We don't screen who buys cars and only check to make sure you are capable of driving to get a license. No security checks. Most of us advocate carrying a weapon our cars to prevent carjacking. Government oversite is always backward looking. It is peoples responsibilty to defend themselves and their property.

Quote Originally Posted by Holger View Post
    The plane would not desintegrate, nor would anyone get sucked out of a bullet hole.
    Are you telling me that TV has been lying to me all this time?

I have many problems with the airliner industry, this is only one of them.
    Don't do things you don't want to explain to the Paramedics!

Stupidity should be painful.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links