Defensive Carry banner

Washington State lawmakers to seek ban on "military-style" weapons!!!!

7K views 83 replies 49 participants last post by  Cold Warrior 
#1 · (Edited)
State lawmakers to seek ban on sales of semi-automatic weapons

In response to recent shooting deaths, three state lawmakers say they want to ban the sale of military-style semi-automatic weapons in Washington.

By Molly Rosbach

Seattle Times staff reporter

In response to recent shooting deaths, three state lawmakers say they want to ban the sale of military-style semi-automatic weapons in Washington.

The lawmakers intend to propose the ban in the state legislative session that begins next month.

The legislation, called the Aaron Sullivan Public Safety and Police Protection Bill, would prohibit the sale of such weapons to private citizens and require current owners to pass background checks.

It is named for Aaron Sullivan, 18, who was fatally shot last July in Seattle's Leschi neighborhood, allegedly with an assault-style weapon.

Supporters say they also are motivated by the Oct. 31 slaying of Seattle Police Officer Timothy Brenton and the wounding of his partner. Police believe a .223-caliber semi-automatic rifle was used then.

The bill is backed by Seattle's police department, spokeswoman Renee Witt said. Also pushing it is Washington Ceasefire, a nonprofit that seeks to reduce gun violence. The group plans a news conference today to announce the proposal.

The lawmakers who plan to sponsor the bill are Rep. Ross Hunter, D-Medina; Sen. Adam Kline, D-Seattle; and Sen. Jeanne Kohl-Welles, D-Seattle.

The ban would cover semiautomatics designed for military use that are capable of rapid-fire and can hold more than 10 rounds. Semiautomatics designed for sporting or hunting purposes wouldn't be banned.

"If they're used in the army, used in the war — that's what this ban is about," said Ralph Fascitelli, the board president of Washington Ceasefire.

Dave Workman, senior editor of Gun Week, a publication of the Second Amendment Foundation in Bellevue, said such a ban would punish law-abiding citizens who own such guns.

"I don't care if my neighbor has a dozen of the things; ... as long as he's not hurting anyone or breaking any laws, leave him alone," Workman said.

He also said he doesn't consider the gun police say was used to kill Brenton an assault rifle.

advertising

Hunter knows getting the bill through the Legislature would be difficult, because of concerns about limits on gun ownership. However, he thinks the ban is necessary.

"We don't allow people to own tanks or bazookas or machine guns, and very few people think that that's an unreasonable restriction," he said.

Kohl-Welles said the lawmakers are trying to be practical and aren't suggesting guns be taken from current owners.

"What we're trying to get at is there's no place to have sales of military assault rifles or weapons in this state," she said.

She also said she doesn't believe such a ban would violate the Second Amendment, the right to bear arms.

"Did the framers of our Constitution ever envision something like a semi-automatic weapon?" she asked.
Local News | State lawmakers to seek ban on sales of semi-automatic weapons | Seattle Times Newspaper

Contact Rep. Hunter:
District office:
1611 116th Ave NE
Suite 206
Bellevue, WA 98004
(425) 453-3064

Olympia office:
PO Box 40600
330 John L. O'Brien Bldg.
Olympia, WA 98504-0600
(360) 786-7936

Toll-free Hotline: 1-800-562-6000
TTY (hearing impaired): 1-800-635-9993
hunter.ross@leg.wa.gov

-----------------------------------------------

Contacting Sen. Adam Kline
By Phone:
Olympia Office: (360) 786-7688

By E-Mail
kline.adam@leg.wa.gov

By Postal Mail
Sen. Adam Kline
PO Box 40437
Olympia, WA 98504-0437

-----------------------------------------------

Contacting Sen. Jeanne Kohl-Welles
By Phone:
Olympia Office: (360) 786-7670
Seattle Office: (206) 281-6854
Fax: (206) 216-3182

By E-mail:
kohl-welles.jeanne@leg.wa.gov

By Postal Mail
Sen. Jeanne Kohl-Welles
PO Box 40436
Olympia, WA 98504-0436

I called the NRA-ILA and the rep who I spoke to told me that they are fully aware of what is going on with this proposed ban. He also mentioned that at the moment, everything that can be done is spread the word about how this bill is going to affect gun owners.

We all need to send off emails to the legislators and/or call them up and let them know that we will not back down. We will not allow the government to further regulate our right to own firearms. That assault weapons are not sold to any civilians. That the AR-15 and AK-47 rifles are not used by the military and are not automatic, and are not more lethal than any other gun. And that if we want to put 5, 10, 30, 100 bullets into a magazine and attach that to our firearm, that they will not stop us from doing so and they have no right to stop us.

If there are any town-hall meetings going on in Seattle or Olympia about this ban, ALL gun owners alike, CC or OC need to be contacted and need to show up to defend our right to own ALL rifles, pistols and any other firearms that are currently legal to own.

See less See more
#2 ·
There are WAY to many idiots in Olympia! The "hippie-larvie, tree-hugging, coffee-culture" people who have managed to get elected do everything they can to keep up, or surpass, thier brothers and sisters in Cali and Washington D.C.

There are a few there (in Oly) who have a clue. I believe they're the one's who need to be contacted.

I love Olympia, and Wa. state, but those dufesses need to find another place to live and try to change into 'thier' idea of a 'liberal paradise'.

#70 ·
It's not really the "Hippi- larvie, tree-hugging, coffee-culture"people in Oly, its actually mainly the stuck up rich pr!@ks in Seattle aka nichols (thats one out of office) and mcdermott who almost seem to have a personal vendetta against anyone who has any type of gun heaven forbid it be a semi-auto, those are 2 big names who are the problem.

#3 ·
Bathtubs!!!

Recently I slipped getting out of the tub....no, I wasn't soaking, just showering......no friggin' mat! Do you believe that the gov't would allow me to breath? I take the mat out, to remind myself to get a new one...I forget...I get into a potentially dangerous situation that hasn't been regulated or legislated to death!!! How am I supposed to know what to do if there's no sign on it??!! :22a:

Don't get me started on my home cutlery.....

#4 ·
Correct me if I'm wrong but there is a big difference between AR15 and M16, M4... the AR platform is a civilian version of the M4 or M16.

Same deal with FN's P90... the PS90 is the civilian version.

many others too. It is a lot of handholding in the bill. It seems it may be for a select few that want to punish all potential buyers of AR, AK, FN, etc. It makes no sense. Current owners get background checks? How are they going to know? Are they going to start a tracking system like they have for class 3 firearms?

#5 ·
If something like this were to pass, the Eastern side of Washington would separate into their own State. The East side of the Cascades has completely different views than the left side of the Cascades...It'll never pass.

#16 ·
Since I know nothing about the demographics of Washington, are you sure about this?

Are there more reasonable level headed people in washington then idots like the ones proposing this? Which group holds the majority in your state legislature? Would this law need to be voted on by the general public, 1/2 of which could easily be swayed by fancy deceptive advertising campaigns?

Think about it.

#6 ·
"Did the framers of our Constitution ever envision something like a semi-automatic weapon?" she asked.
Sure they did, They would line up in rows and shoot in vollies, Effectively making a hundred guns into a line "semi auto's". 1st row shoots, 2nd row shoots etc.

Rmember this quote; " Don't shoot till you see the whites of their eyes". You could take this and run with it 2 ways. Insurgent Rebal activity,(which effectivly they were.) Or for the time an IED, An explosive device placed to maximize damage to the unsuppecting advancing troops.

Just because it happened 200 + years ago, don't discount the thought process because something didn't exsist.

#7 ·
Once again, the actions of a few bad apples ruin it for everyone else. :mad:

Good luck with your legislation, scumbags. :hand1:

#8 ·
So if they ban assualt weapons they'll have to been all types of hunting rifles too, right, they're basically the same thing, so they'll have to ban all hunting rifles too :confused: When are the going to realize that the majority of gun crimes are by cititzens (sometimes illegals) that don't have a firearm permit and commit the crime with a stolen gun. Why make us, the law abiding citizens who legally own guns and have perimts suffer. :rolleyes:

I'm awed that WA honors the UT permit, that just amazes me :blink:

#9 ·
Why make us, the law abiding citizens who legally own guns and have perimts suffer. :rolleyes:
cause its the easiest and cheapest way for them to push off a problem.

They don't give a **** about whether or not the citizen can protect themselves or not.

Hiring more LEO or doing a guns for cash program takes money and time. Time they could be spending on the golf course or binging on steak on the tax payer's dime. If they ban guns then they can say they did all they could to reduce gun crime. Its discusting :hand1:

#10 ·
Great idea... take the guns away from the law abiding citizens. I'm sure that'll stop all of the criminals too. I'm sure it'll stop them from committing crimes with guns.

#11 ·
Law abiding citizens buy there guns legally through an FFL. Criminals aqiure guns by stealing or buying them on the black market. If you ban guns then only the law abiding citizens won't be able to buy guns. The criminals will still aquire guns illegaly as they are right now, they're just taking guns away from the law abiding citzens, stupid. :rolleyes:

#13 ·
Well all you WA gun owners need to pack up your evil black "assult:hand5:" rifles and move here. We like armed citizens in Wyoming.
BTW one other thing is that do you sorta see a trend when it comes to anti gun legislation. They almost always without fail have a D after their name. As Earl Pitts would say "Wake Up America".

#14 ·
Excuse me, BUT I have owned a tank, I own a Cannon, I have owned a machine gun. All legally.....

Now what......

#15 ·
.......INCOMING!!!!!!

:soapbox:
It is named for Aaron Sullivan, 18, who was fatally shot last July in Seattle's Leschi neighborhood, allegedly with an assault-style weapon.
Police believe a .223-caliber semi-automatic rifle was used then.
oh, by all means, lets enact knee-jerk legislation based on what we ALLEGEDLY think was used in the event
while we're at it, let me ban all 10 year old kids from my neighborhood since I THINK it was a 10 year old that threw the rock over my back fence last summer and broke one of my bedroom windows

The bill is backed by Seattle's police department, spokeswoman Renee Witt said.
really? the whole department.....or the talking head making press releases or maybe the chief and those that currently have their head up....er....I mean kiss up to him

Also pushing it is Washington Ceasefire, a nonprofit that seeks to reduce gun violence.
how about quit tying the hands of the LEOs and let them do their jobs to get the dirtbags off the streets, and how about not reduce what the good guys can use to defend themselves/families/homes

The ban would cover semiautomatics designed for military use that are capable of rapid-fire and can hold more than 10 rounds. Semiautomatics designed for sporting or hunting purposes wouldn't be banned.
oh good, we all know how the Clinton ban reduced crime rates so effectively; I'm so glad all the dirbags said: "well crap, I can only have 10 rounds now so I can't murder anyone or rob that bank I was wanting to hit next month"
hmmmm....tell me.....what AR in the hands of a civilian was designed for military use.........NONE!!!! they are not assault rifles....they are not select fire like the military uses.....they don't fire burst or full auto, these people are morons
my AR is used to shoot coyotes, rabbits, prarie dogs, hogs, etc....so is it not designed for sporting or hunting?
"If they're used in the army, used in the war — that's what this ban is about," said Ralph Fascitelli, the board president of Washington Ceasefire.
refer to my bolded statement above

"We don't allow people to own tanks or bazookas or machine guns, and very few people think that that's an unreasonable restriction," he said.
hmmm tanks....let me see.....hmmmmm....dang I'm trying to think of all the times citizens have used their tanks to go on a killing spree.....hmmmm....the only thing I can think of close to that is the guy that broke in and stole one FROM THE MILITARY in San Diego
...and machine guns......the only reason we have restricted machine guns is because wackos like these convinced enough people in congress that they were a threat to society and we shouldn't have them.....even though they weren't used in shooting sprees but who cares about that little fact, lets just enact laws to make it look like they're looking out for us
very few think its an unreasonable restriction....really.....you took a poll? I mean, a poll other than from your little communist thinking group in the legislature? I bet not

Kohl-Welles said the lawmakers are trying to be practical
practical :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl: yeah whatever

"What we're trying to get at is there's no place to have sales of military assault rifles or weapons in this state," she said.
no, what you're trying to get at is this is a stepping stone to get rid of all citizen gun ownership since you and your pansy groups think we are not capable of owning guns, defending ourselves, and would rather limit our gun ownership than actually taking care of the dirtbags and getting them off the streets

She also said she doesn't believe such a ban would violate the Second Amendment, the right to bear arms.
then she obviously hasn't actually READ the 2nd Amendment

ummmmm......no, I bet not.....but so what? how is that relevant?
oh, I can make it relevant.....the framers also didn't envision judges/courts/legislatures attempting to make the Constitution a historical document locked away in some museum but not adhered to any longer, the framers didn't envision our laws restricting a citizen's right to defend themselves rather than restricting the dirtbag ability to get out of prison early and commit more crimes, or sue the homeowner for defending his property/lives/family
the framers didn't envision these pansy groups and communist-thinking lawmakers from dumbing down our society into ignorant :sheep: that believe we should depend on the government for guidance in all aspects of our lives and to take care of us like a nanny, the framers didn't envision our last 2 generations being brainwashed that guns are evil and should only be had by military/LE and having so many people scared of guns

ok, getting off the soapbox
haven't had my first cup of java:coffee: :haus7:

#48 ·
.......INCOMING!!!!!!

.....the framers also didn't envision judges/courts/legislatures attempting to make the Constitution a historical document locked away in some museum but not adhered to any longer, the framers didn't envision our laws restricting a citizen's right to defend themselves rather than restricting the dirtbag ability to get out of prison early and commit more crimes, or sue the homeowner for defending his property/lives/family
the framers didn't envision these pansy groups and communist-thinking lawmakers from dumbing down our society into ignorant :sheep: that believe we should depend on the government for guidance in all aspects of our lives and to take care of us like a nanny, the framers didn't envision our last 2 generations being brainwashed that guns are evil and should only be had by military/LE and having so many people scared of guns

Actually, they did envision exactly these things. That is why they wrote in the right to keep and bear arms as a last defense against exactly this kind of tyrany!!!

That is why it is our duty to do everything we can to stop this insanity.

Walk softly...
should have said they didn't envision it the way things are happening now, they envisioned it being stopped by the checks and balances but our congress doesn't represent the people anymore

#18 · (Edited)
This is a battle forever

People shouldn't be upset by this. We are in conflict with the anti-gunners forever. We need to not be in a defensive posture. We should never agree to any of their demands and continue to fight forever. Like Patton said in effect, we should not be satisfied with our gains. Instead we should fight for more gun rights forever. Swing for the fence, i.e. repeal of all gun laws. Let the anti-gunners deal with that.

I never attempt to reason with anti-gunners as their views are orthogonal to mine. All I want to do is to defeat them, that's it. The anti-gunners are not our friends and the only thing they have in common with us is that at some point they evolved into humans too. There is no compromise.

More simply put, (as my wife summed it up), "FREIGHT TRAIN THEM."

Put another way: Would you let a BG who wants to assault you take your weapon away from you or convince you to put your weapon down? (Not Likely)

The antis use the same methods they have used since the Clinton administration. Times have changed and the rule book is different and we are much stronger.

On a humorous note, think of the antis as rectal hemorrhoids. They never get better on their own, i.e. they always get worse. If you don't do something about them they affect your daily activities. Preparation H just delays the inevitable. The solution is to have them removed and even then, they always come back.

#24 ·
This article is pathetic. I didn't think you could outdo Congresswoman Mckinney for gun ignorance, but I think they pulled it off.

Then by those standards, I think the only guns that will be banned are the M9 and maybe some sniper rifles. Idiot doesn't know what he's talking about.

Actually, all three are legal to own you moron. Easy? Common? No, but legal yes.

Of course they did! They had seen firearms advances within their own lifetimes. Repeating firearms, though not successful on a mass scale, had been designed and built prior to the Revolutionary War. Aside from that, these men weren't stupid. If you are fighting with a gun, what traits do you desire? Easy of loading, speed, and power. This woman is stupid enough to believe that these men either had never heard of the repeating arms that had already been built, or that they couldn't look forward beyond five minutes and deduce that guns would become more powerful, smaller, and easier to load.

#27 ·
Signs! We need more signs...:yup:
Take away all the citizens' guns and put up a lot of signs, then we'll all be really safe.:hand1::banned::blink::smoke23:

#29 ·
Washington State lawmakers seeking to ban semi-auto sales

Read the following with pure contempt this morning:

Local News | State lawmakers to seek ban on sales of semi-automatic weapons | Seattle Times Newspaper

State lawmakers to seek ban on sales of semi-automatic weapons

By Molly Rosbach

Seattle Times staff reporter

The lawmakers intend to propose the ban in the state legislative session that begins next month.

The legislation, called the Aaron Sullivan Public Safety and Police Protection Bill, would prohibit the sale of such weapons to private citizens and require current owners to pass background checks.

Supporters say they also are motivated by the Oct. 31 slaying of Seattle Police Officer Timothy Brenton and the wounding of his partner. Police believe a .223-caliber semi-automatic rifle was used then.

The bill is backed by Seattle's police department, spokeswoman Renee Witt said. Also pushing it is Washington Ceasefire, a nonprofit that seeks to reduce gun violence. The group plans a news conference today to announce the proposal.

The lawmakers who plan to sponsor the bill are Rep. Ross Hunter, D-Medina; Sen. Adam Kline, D-Seattle; and Sen. Jeanne Kohl-Welles, D-Seattle.

Dave Workman, senior editor of Gun Week, a publication of the Second Amendment Foundation in Bellevue, said such a ban would punish law-abiding citizens who own such guns.

"I don't care if my neighbor has a dozen of the things; ... as long as he's not hurting anyone or breaking any laws, leave him alone," Workman said.

He also said he doesn't consider the gun police say was used to kill Brenton an assault rifle.

Hunter knows getting the bill through the Legislature would be difficult, because of concerns about limits on gun ownership. However, he thinks the ban is necessary.

Kohl-Welles said the lawmakers are trying to be practical and aren't suggesting guns be taken from current owners.

Molly Rosbach: 206-464-2311 or mrosbach@seattletimes.com

================

Seems more than just the people from California are up here, now its their freaking politics!

My message to the lawmakers in Olympia: Hands Off My Guns!

#34 ·
My firstmost problem is the definition of "military-style" weapons. Does that make my WWII Garand or my Berretta illegal? How about a Replica semiauto Thompson? This is obviously too vague of a definition to hold up to any Supreme court test, if it even made it that far.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.