Where do you see the 2nd amendment in 10-20 years down the road?

This is a discussion on Where do you see the 2nd amendment in 10-20 years down the road? within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Reading about FLA making it legal to carry in State Parks got me to thinking. We have scored some big victories recently. With Ohio passing ...

Distinguished Member Array Doc Holliday's Avatar

Reading about FLA making it legal to carry in State Parks got me to thinking. We have scored some big victories recently. With Ohio passing the CCW, the AWB sunset, and most states allowing CC. Now is not the time to rest on our laurels. We need to continue to lobby congress (national/state) join the NRA (or other pro gun groups) and try to turn others on to shooting. I just don't want to see things get like they were say around 1994 or so. I am curious though, what do you guys think gunrights will be like in America in the next 10-20 years?
    Why Ike, whatever do you mean? Maybe poker's just not your game Ike. I know! Let's have a spelling contest!

VIP Member
    I really don't know. I'm almost afraid to look out that far. The Republicans have screwed up so badly, I'm almost afraid they'll lose many of the upcoming elections and we will end up with a load of gun hating liberals at the helm. I don't want to have to deal with that.
    eschew obfuscation

The only thing that stops bad guys with guns is good guys with guns. SgtD

Senior Moderator
    It'll alwyas be an uphil battle.

As long as we have legislaters that put the wishes of the UN ahead of the intrests of the citizens, our guns and rights will NEVER be safe.

As it stands now, there are precious few countries left that even "allow" private ownership of weapons by the citizens. Its just a matter of time till it happens here...whether it be 10,20 or even 50 years wont matter.

Assistant Administrator
    Sadly the die is cast - in essence. Fighting tho (peaceably!) will help delay what may be the inevitable.

This last few months has seen great strides but OTOH it will only take one major political change to enhance the anti's agenda - and as HG says it is and will remain a very uphill struggle. We cannot rest on laurels.

I am sad for the young folks growing up now and what they may face. In the end of course who wins? Yep the bad guys, no one else.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

1943 - 2009
    Basically, the future of the 2nd Amendment is up to the USSC. We need a ruling from the black robes that the 2A is in fact an individual right to keep and bear arms, as opposed to the liberal view that it is a collective (militia) right.

The Court could do this by overruling the 7th or 9th Circuit Courts of Appeals, which have both ruled that the 2A does not guarantee an individual RKBA, but someone (a person or a pro-rights group like the NRA) would have to petition the Court to hear the case. So far, nobody wants to climb that mountain.

It would also help if the Court incorporated the 2A to the states via the 14th Amendment.

When you’re wounded and left on Afghanistan’s plains,
    And the women come out to cut up what remains,
    Just roll to your rifle and blow out your brains,
    And go to your God like a soldier.

Rudyard Kipling

Terry

Senior Moderator
    Where the 2nd Amendment stands in the future is up to us. We as gun owners must remain politically active, and always remember what the opposition truly wants:

"If I could have gotten 51 votes in the Senate of the United States for an out right ban,
    picking up every one of them... "Mr. and Mrs. America, turn 'em all in,
    "I would have done it. I could not do that. The votes weren't here."

--U.S. Senator Dianne Feinstein (D-CA), CBS-TV's "60 Minutes," 2/5/95
    The easiest way for them to get there will be for us to get complacent and apathetic.

Matt

Heck, I might not even be around. I'm struggling to just stay sane, healthy and enjoy life. But to quote Han Solo: I've got a B-A-D feeling about this.....
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

great things have been accomplished for our 2nd amendment rights lately. How long they will last worries me.
    Continue to improve your knife collection...
    " Refuse to be a victim, make sure there is a round chambered ! "

Just call me a pessimistic optimist !

U.S. Navy vet 1981-1992

I think the 2A will still be in the Bill of Rights. I think our rights in 10 years will largely be what they are, now, unless somebody pulls something really outrageous like another Columbine or another Beltway Sniper. More than anything, our freedoms depend on our collective behavior, and one really bad apple can spoil the barrel. We are ultimately responsible for accepting bad legislation and tolerating infringements on our freedoms. The people who want to take away our freedoms aren't playing by rules and their truth is relative to the moment. It isn't a fair fight. That's why I think it is important to have groups like SAF and GoA to buttress the arguments made by the NRA, as well as individuals willing to speak out and take action. I am one voice, but I raise it, both alone and as part of a larger group.
    - Tom
    You have the power to donate life.

Links