NEWS FLASH city council voted on carrying gun

This is a discussion on NEWS FLASH city council voted on carrying gun within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; hope i put this in the right location. Dutch is an ex LEO and owns the gs that i visit frequently. its going to be ...

Thread: NEWS FLASH city council voted on carrying gun

NEWS FLASH city council voted on carrying gun

hope i put this in the right location.
    Dutch is an ex LEO and owns the gs that i visit frequently. its going to be interesting if the mayor allows or not.
    but below is where a video access is, dont know how long it will be on the site. but under the web site is the story.

Raymore City Hall Gearing Up for Fight Over Gun Ordinance - WDAF

RAYMORE, MO - The Raymore City Council voted this week to allow council members to carry a concealed weapon at their meetings, and increase the concealed carry permit rights for everyone in town. But those changes could be short-lived after the mayor promised to veto the ordinance, and a showdown could be looming at City Hall.

Raymore Mayor Juan Alonzo says that he plans on vetoing the ordinance, which passed by a 5-3 vote earlier this week. At this point, it appears that the measure does not have the six votes necessary to override the mayor's veto.

"The council back in 2004 elected to restrict concealed carry in city buildings," said Alonzo. "This bill overturns that and it allows concealed carry in every city building."

What bothers Alonzo more than allowing concealed weapons into city buildings is that it allows council members to carry weapons inside city buildings, but not citizens.

"If people stop and think about that, about what that is doing, it's completely opposite of what the Second Amendment is supposed to do," said Alonzo. "There's no interpretation for that, there's nothing in there that you can interpret to say, yeah the governing body can carry while the rest of us don't."

But some Raymore residents say that they are unhappy with Alonzo's quick veto trigger.

"If today's society was where we didn't need to carry guns, I would love that," said Raymore resident Dutch Becker, who also owns a gun store in the town. "But today's society is changing. Look at the crime rates in Kansas City, they're on the rise, and surrounding areas, we're not immune to anything."

Becker says that those opposed to the veto will be civil at the next council meeting, but that doesn't mean that they won't take action. Mayor Alonzo and several council members are up for re-election in April.

"I think we're going to show our power when it comes time to vote," said Becker. "I've already said, I have all respect for the mayor. I know him personally. But if he vetoes this, I will not vote to re-elect him."
    XD9sc
    Ruger LCP 380
    NAA 22 mini mag w/holster grip
    S&W 38 model 10
    NRA member

2. Remove Ads

Administrator
    I agree with the mayor on this one.
    "Just blame Sixto"

VIP Member
    I think I would have to agree with the Mayor also.

VIP Member
    The mayor should just tell the council to re-write it to include citizens, then he won't have to veto it.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
    Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    I agree with the mayor on this one.
    +1...
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sigmanluke View Post
    The mayor should just tell the council to re-write it to include citizens, then he won't have to veto it.

YEP!!!^^^^^^

Detroit city council members are allowed to carry,

Must be afeared'o' sumtin' Huh??

'Because that's all the ammunition we had.'
    Polk Co. Fla. Sheriff Grady Judd
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

Distinguished Member Array Guardian's Avatar
    The Mayor is right on this, all or nothing and Mr. Becker is an wrong in my view and not thinking about this rationally.
    "I dislike death, however, there are some things I dislike more than death. Therefore, there are times when I will not avoid danger" Mencius"

I agree with the Mayor... why are they being so selective on who can carry, anyone with a CCL should be able to.

VIP Member
    +1 on what the Mayor said. He isn't against guns, he's against the city council sitting themselves above the average citizen. Either everyone who can legally carry is allowed or no one is allowed.

Links