California Mag Question

This is a discussion on California Mag Question within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; What's the law on an individual outside of California shipping a magazine with a capacity higher than 10 to another individual in California?...

Thread: California Mag Question

California Mag Question

What's the law on an individual outside of California shipping a magazine with a capacity higher than 10 to another individual in California?

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    As far as I understand, if you are in Ca, it is unlawful to posses a mag with capacity of more than 10 rounds.

From handgunlaw.us

Large Capacity Magazines
    With limited exceptions, California law prohibits any person from manufacturing, importing into the state,
    keeping for sale, offering or exposing for sale, giving, or lending any large capacity magazine. Cal. Penal
    Code 12020(a)(2), (b). A "large capacity magazine" is defined as any ammunition feeding device with the
    capacity to accept more than ten rounds, but does not include any .22 caliber tube ammunition feeding
    device, any feeding device that has been permanently altered so that it cannot accommodate more than ten
    rounds, or any tubular magazine that is contained in a lever-action firearm. Section 12020(c)(25). California
    does not ban the possession of large capacity magazines
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
    Thomas Jefferson

Distinguished Member Array tangoseal's Avatar
    I love california also. Oh my god the outdoors were amazing but I moved. I no longer live there.

Im starting to look at moving up to Missoula Montana in the next 2 years.

On topic: I believe you can own high cap but cannot sell them or buy them. Kinda pre-ban. You certainly cannot have them when and if you are lucky enough to CC. They do not want for you to be able to outshoot the cops. Thats the liberal mentality behind the law anyways.
    "I believe that the right of the citizen to keep and bear arms must not be infringed if liberty in America is to survive." - Ronald Reagan

You can have any capacity magazine IF you owned it prior to the 10 round limit. You can rebuild them with PARTS you purchase for that purpose.

You cannot "manufacture" or "import" or "sell" or "lend" any magazine that holds more than 10 rounds. Unless you are LEO with written OK from your boss.

BTW, You can carry them even if you have a CCW. I know. I do. Daily.

Distinguished Member Array MinistrMalic's Avatar
    I wouldn't do it. You'll be in a big bag of trouble, and CA isn't the place to have a firearms charge IMO.
    "...whoever has no sword is to sell his coat and buy one." (Luke 22:36)
    Christianity and Self Defense from a Biblical Perspective

Good question. Coming from there myself I suggest really getting a clear definition for what you are seeking, like state laws. Even then I would be careful just because it's on the books it don't mean everyone is on the same page, if you know what I mean? I know this is not much help, but best of luck.

Quote Originally Posted by MinistrMalic View Post
    I wouldn't do it. You'll be in a big bag of trouble, and CA isn't the place to have a firearms charge IMO.
    Yeah. Come on vacation, leave on probation is a pretty common saying around here. In case anyone misunderstood my other post: Leave your high cap mags at HOME. Buying a 10 round mag follower and spring kit is a ton simpler than anything else I can imagine.

Well, other than just carrying a revolver that is.

Distinguished Member Array PastorPack's Avatar
    It seems that you are asking if it is legal for you to ship them to someone in CA. IIRC, it is technically legal to ship parts of magazines to someone. (e.g., a floorplate, follower, spring and housing are legal, a fully-assembled hi-cap--not so much)
    God is love (1 John 4:8)

Links