Email from Va. Tech. Pres. Steger and my response

This is a discussion on Email from Va. Tech. Pres. Steger and my response within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I got a "Dear Virginia Tech friends and family" email from president@vt.edu telling me about how Va. Tech. is "inventing the future", and inviting me ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Email from Va. Tech. Pres. Steger and my response

Northern Piedmont of Va. & Middle of Nowhere, W.Va.

I got a "Dear Virginia Tech friends and family" email from president@vt.edu telling me about how Va. Tech. is "inventing the future", and inviting me to look at their flash video at 2009 Message from President Charles Steger | Virginia Tech; here's the response I emailed back:
    Is the University still maintaining a policy that prohibits properly qualified adult students, staff members, and professors from lawfully defending themselves against armed assailants? I take the position that if the University is requiring that persons legitimately on campus be defenseless, then the University has actively assumed an absolute duty to protect all such persons. Aside from the moral issue of causing the death and injury of defenseless people whom one has assumed a duty to protect, I observe that any negligent breach of that duty resulting in actual damages will, of course, be actionable.
    Daniel L. Hawes - 540 347 2430 - HTTP://www.VirginiaLegalDefense.com

Nothing I say as "user" should be taken as either advertising for attorney services or legal advice. Legal questions should be presented to a competent attorney licensed to practice in the relevant state.

Good job. If any college wants my kid to attend, they will NOT have a draconian gun rule in effect.
    We are going to have to hit them where it hurts, in the pocket book.
    “Most people do not really want freedom, because freedom involves responsibility, and most people are frightened of responsibility.”

“A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity”

Sigmund Freud

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DBRideout View Post
    Good job. If any college wants my kid to attend, they will NOT have a draconian gun rule in effect.
    What makes them different from any other gun free/defenseless victim zone college? Obviously they were the victim of an attack, but 90% of colleges and universities are no gun. Why single them out for protest? Why not KU,UNC,Duke,PSU...and on and on.
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

Northern Piedmont of Va. & Middle of Nowhere, W.Va.
    Well, the president sent me the email. So I sent him one back.

What's funny is that there's a statute in Virginia that prevents any "locality" from enacting any rules or ordinances relating to the ownership, use, or possession of firearms. And all Va. agencies are included in the definition of "locality". Thus, it's actually illegal for a Virginia state college or university to have such rules. I'd say that turns it into "negligence per se."
    Daniel L. Hawes - 540 347 2430 - HTTP://www.VirginiaLegalDefense.com

Nothing I say as "user" should be taken as either advertising for attorney services or legal advice. Legal questions should be presented to a competent attorney licensed to practice in the relevant state.

As an alum I'd like to see VT take the lead on allowing CC permit holders to carry on campus whether it be student, teacher, or visitor. Of course that will never happen.
    G23 w/GTL21, G27, Ruger LCP, & Taurus 617 SS
    NRA Life Member
    GOA Member
    VT Class of '96

VIP Member
    Good response. It's great to live in such a free state as Utah.

The U of U fought in court for several years to become a gun free zone. They lost and are required to allow both CC and OC on campus. Some violent crime still happens here, but our VC rates on campus are much lower than nearly all other Universities in the country.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
    Thomas Jefferson

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by purwater View Post
    As an alum I'd like to see VT take the lead on allowing CC permit holders to carry on campus whether it be student, teacher, or visitor.
    ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑

Absolutely

BTW -- a minor point:

A visitor can carry -- CC or OC.

I do. I have carried at anti-RKBAs events and made sure the Campus LEOs knew. Never a hassle.

Albeit, there is a bad AG opinion the supports no carry at some events / in some situations, such as sports events.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

BAC
    Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    What makes them different from any other gun free/defenseless victim zone college? Obviously they were the victim of an attack, but 90% of colleges and universities are no gun. Why single them out for protest? Why not KU,UNC,Duke,PSU...and on and on.
    Because most universities don't have a say in the matter where Virginia Tech does. Most states prohibit carry onto campuses. If memory serves, Virginia the state/commonwealth permits it and V-T the university does not.

-B
    RIP, Jeff Dorr: 1964 - July 17, 2009. You will be missed.

Defensive Carry Search Tips

Step 1 - Choose a subforum on right side under "Search in Forum(s)"
    Step 2 - Type general topic of interest in "Search by Keyword" textbox.
    Step 3 - Read results and refine/repeat as necessary.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by user View Post
    Well, the president sent me the email. So I sent him one back.

What's funny is that there's a statute in Virginia that prevents any "locality" from enacting any rules or ordinances relating to the ownership, use, or possession of firearms. And all Va. agencies are included in the definition of "locality". Thus, it's actually illegal for a Virginia state college or university to have such rules. I'd say that turns it into "negligence per se."
    Sorry about the confusion. My comment was meant for the guy in post #2. He was takling about punishing VT with a boycott. I liked your email just fine.

Quote Originally Posted by BAC View Post
    Because most universities don't have a say in the matter where Virginia Tech does. Most states prohibit carry onto campuses. If memory serves, Virginia the state/commonwealth permits it and V-T the university does not.

-B
    I didn't know that. Thank you, I understand now.
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

Quote Originally Posted by BAC View Post
    Most states prohibit carry onto campuses. If memory serves, Virginia the state/commonwealth permits it and V-T the university does not.
    -B
    That is my understanding of Virginia law, which in effect gives local option to each university. Compare that to Texas where the legislature forbids concealed carry on all university campuses.

And I always thought that Texas was a pro gun state. Actually it is, except for these important absurd exceptions.
    Live every day so that you can, with a clear conscience, look all men in their eyes and tell them to go to hell.

Distinguished Member Array BigStick's Avatar
    Is there a list somewhere of what universities/colleges do/don't allow cc or possesion of firearms by their students/staff? That would be something usefull as parents prepare their kids for what colleges to apply to.
    Walk softly ...

VIP Member
    All (public) colleges/universities in Utah are required to allow carry by students/staff/visitors (who legally can). Only private colleges/universities can forbid carry (BYU forbids). Not sure if any others do, but I don't think so.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
    Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by DBRideout View Post
    The options as to what college they attend will be severely limited unless things change a lot, which I doubt.

Regards,
    Jerry

Quote Originally Posted by cwblanco View Post
    That is my understanding of Virginia law, which in effect gives local option to each university.
    Actually, this isn't correct (at least my understanding and I am not a lawyer).. College carry is perfectly legal in every college in Virginia EXCEPT VCU, which is covered under VA Admin Code, not Criminal Code.. It is not "illegal" for ANYONE (student, teacher, or visitor) to carry on any other campus.. The problem is that Colleges in VA think they are "private" and thus can ban carry like a private business.. So they made a "rule" that their students/faculty can't carry.. So if they do, they will be expelled or fired.. As a visitor, you can do it and they can't do anything about it (I have done it MANY a time at UVA, but not at Tech)..

Now, with that being said, I wouldn't do it anyway if I was a student just based on the crazies in office right now.. With my luck, I would get kicked out of school, plus arrested and have to go to court, just to get let off.. I can't go through that right now.. :) someone else can be the test case.. Kindda like the church no carry without a "good and sufficient reason".. that is another one that ticks me off, but that is for another thread..

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by baloo10 View Post
    So they made a "rule" that their students/faculty can't carry.. So if they do, they will be expelled or fired.. As a visitor, you can do it and they can't do anything about it (I have done it MANY a time at UVA, but not at Tech)...

FWIIW -- I have heard that a student/teacher/employee of UVa can carry at VT and a student/teacher/employee of VT can carry at UVa.

Wonder if there has ever been a test case.

Maybe it is time for someone to
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links