Defensive Carry banner

New Mexico concealed carry in Liquor-serving restaurants

2K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  nmcolt45 
#1 ·
According to the NRA-ILA site there is a bill before the New Mexico senate that would lift the prohibition on carrying a firearm in a restaurant that serves beer and wine. NM legislators have until January 15 to sign on as co-sponsors.

I sent the following email to my senator and representative, which I offer as a model should you wish to send your own:

--------------------
"Subject: Please support SB-40 (concealed handguns guns in restaurants)

Dear (name):

I urge you to support SB-40, which would amend the criminal code to allow holders of concealed handgun licenses to carry their concealed handguns into restaurants with liquor licenses.

I carry a concealed handgun from time to time for the protection of my family, but under current law am not able to carry in most family restaurants: such as Flying Star, Applebee's, Red Robin and Garcia's Kitchen (among many others). Thus, in the parking lot, I have to disarm and hide my handgun in my car (which can be particularly problematic when there are non-family members in the car) before going in to eat. And of course I am precluded from walking or jogging to such a restaurant with my wife because I'd have no place to hide my gun.

I do not drink alcohol at all. I'm XX years old, have passed an FBI background check, have filed my fingerprints, and signed documents surrendering various privacy rights to get my license. I've been trained in the legal aspects of self defense and have demonstrated safe and effective handling of my handgun.

I recognize that alcohol-related crimes are a big problem in New Mexico, but I submit that those who have passed the concealed handgun licensing requirements have proven that they are NOT part of that problem -- and I don't think it's fair for them to be penalized by the existence of other citizens who are.

Thank you for your consideration,
(my name)"
--------------------

The NRA-ILA link:
NRA-ILA :: Pro-Gun Bill Pre-Filed in New Mexico for 2010 Session!

Where to find your legislators:
New Mexico Legislature.

Where to find the bill:
http://www.nmlegis.gov/Sessions/10 Regular/bills/senate/SB0040.pdf

See less See more
#2 ·
Good luck. We passed a similar law in Tennessee and a court decision shot it down. As the judge used the very wording of the law itself to defeat it, we will probably have to go through the whole process again, with a better worded law.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.