Reciprocity questions

Reciprocity questions

This is a discussion on Reciprocity questions within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Background/situation #1: Citizen "A" has a resident Concealed Weapons Permit (by whatever name) in State "Y" -- which allows concealed carry of other weapons in ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    VIP Member

Question Reciprocity questions

Background/situation #1:

Citizen "A" has a resident Concealed Weapons Permit (by whatever name) in State "Y" -- which allows concealed carry of other weapons in addition to a handgun.

Citizen "B" has a resident Concealed Handgun Permit (by whatever name) in State "Z" -- which allows concealed carry of a handgun, but not other weapons.

State "Y" and "Z" have reciprocity.

Question #1:

If your State is one of these, what is legal for someone from the other State to carry in your State?

FWIIW -- Here in Virginia (which allows concealed carry of a handgun, but not other weapons) someone from a "Y" State (say Florida) can only carry of a handgun, but not other weapons -- regardless of what (s)he can carry at home. However, I am not sure if I can legally carry other weapons in Florida -- hence the question above.

Background/situation #2:

Citizen "C" has a resident Concealed Carry Permit (by whatever name) in State "W" -- which allows concealed carry of any Handgun and/or more that one Handgun at a time.

Citizen "D" has a resident Concealed Carry Permit (by whatever name) in State "X" -- which restricts the gun you can carry (e.g., by serial number, by specific type used to qualify, below a certain caliber, etc) or restricts carry to only one gun at a time

State "W" and "X" have reciprocity.

Question #2:

If your State is one of these, what is legal for someone from the other State to carry in your State?

FWIIW -- Here in Virginia (which allows concealed carry of any handgun that you can legally possess, and more that one at a time) someone from a State with reciprocity can also conceal carry any handgun that you can legally possess, and more that one at a time. In fact, anyone from any State can OC any handgun that you can legally possess, and OC more that one at a time.

However, I am not sure what I can legally carry in more restrictive States -- hence the second question above.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

Senior Moderator
    The laws of the state that you are in is what matters.

The laws of your state do not apply when you are in another state.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    Generally, I understand that.

However, if I am in a State which restricts the gun you can carry (e.g., by serial number, by specific type used to qualify, below a certain caliber, etc) and my permit has no such authorization, what can I carry?
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

Senior Moderator
    Good question.

To be safe, I would carry a gun that met the requirements of that law.

The thing is, the cop that gets you wont know what is legal in your state. He will only know what is legal in his state. If you have a gun that does not meet the criteria of that particular law, then that could be trouble for you.

When you go before a judge, he will say something like"ignorance of the law is no excuse".

In this case, its better to be safe than sorry.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL

The laws of your state do not apply when you are in another state.
    Just because it is that simple....it is worth repeating....

Know the laws of where you are visiting. That is, if you are from VA (where OC without a permit is legal) and visit FL, you cannot OC at all...
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Distinguished Member Array tangoseal's Avatar
    He will only know what is legal in his state.

You sure about that ??? HaHa
    "I believe that the right of the citizen to keep and bear arms must not be infringed if liberty in America is to survive." - Ronald Reagan

If the state you're carrying in has no requirement for a specific gun (like in your home state), you can carry anything you want...how could they require following a law that they do not have on the books?
    That would have to work the other way around, also.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Senior Moderator
    You sure about that ??? HaHa
    Theoretically.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL

I was told, You must abide by the host states laws. If I had questions, call state police/troopers of state I plan on visiting.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SIGguy229 View Post
    That is, if you are from VA (where OC without a permit is legal) and visit FL, you cannot OC at all...
    That is simple.

What I was trying to ask was, "Can I carry another weapon in FL?".
    Μολὼν λαβέ

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

Quote Originally Posted by DaveH View Post
    That is simple.

What I was trying to ask was, "Can I carry another weapon in FL?".
    State law allows you to carry other weapons with FL CWFL.
    I see no reason why reciprocity would not allow you to carry the same weapons we FL'ns can.
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliott

The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

A good resource on various state carry laws:

Handgunlaw.us

Sit 1 is somewhat easily resolved. You CAN carry the firearm, so you could go with that and not worry about the other weapons. Or find the states CC statute and see what it says.

Sit 2 may be as easily resolved. Would a state that has that much restriction in it's CC law even allow reciprocity with say, GA, where you can fill out paperwork to get a CCP? The states I can think of that are that anal do not have reciprocity with anyone. I could be missing a few though. I'm assuming that you checked to see if it is even possible. Or did the question just come to you? Not trying to be smart, I just wonder if the research turns that into a non issue, ie no reciprocity with anyone (NY, CA, etc)

As I understand it, recipitory honors the permit and the "laws" of the person's home state. It is definitely something you should be able to call or write the State Patrol of the state you plan on visiting for clarification on any issues you may have.

Senior Moderator
    As I understand it, recipitory honors the permit and the "laws" of the person's home state. It is definitely something you should be able to call or write the State Patrol of the state you plan on visiting for clarification on any issues you may have.
    Negative.

"Reciprocity"simply means that if your state recognizes another state's concealed handgun liscense, then that state will recognize yours.

In some states it is legal to carry a gun into a place that sells alcohol. In others is not.

If you carry in that state where it is not legal, just because it is legal in yours, you can and probably will get arrested.

An officer only enforces the laws of his state. He doesn't really care about the laws of yours.

Make sense?

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links