Is the War on Drugs turning into the War on Guns?

This is a discussion on Is the War on Drugs turning into the War on Guns? within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Targeting guns to reduce violent crime / The Christian Science Monitor - CSMonitor.com Heck, I sure hope not. On the one hand, properly targeted efforts ...

Distinguished Member Array randytulsa2's Avatar

Targeting guns to reduce violent crime / The Christian Science Monitor - CSMonitor.com

Heck, I sure hope not.

On the one hand, properly targeted efforts at BAD GUYS (emphasis added) who have guns could be highly useful.

On the other hand, I fear the "shorthand application" of the principle. I really do.
    "...bad decisions that turn out well often make heroes."

Gary D. Mitchell, A Sniper's Journey: The Truth About the Man and the Rifle, P. 103, NAL Caliber books, 2006, 1st Ed.

VIP Member
    The unfortunate truth of the matter is that illegal gun possession is rampant in the drug dealing community. It (illegal possession of guns) would likely continue as a problem even if there was considerable legalization of presently illegal drugs.

It is the character of some people to decide they will do what they want to do, whether legal or not, and the legality of possession and carry is of no concern to such people.

The "extreme" response might be to take a hands off approach on both issues. There is even a constitutional argument to be made for doing exactly that. But, we do live in a practical world.

I can't really advocate hands off because too many of those presently illegally carrying are extremely dangerous individuals.

So, these two issues (illegal drugs and illegal gun possession) are indeed intertwined in a way that makes developing a coherent policy very very difficult if not impossible. That of course is repeating the obvious, as it is the reason we are where we are on these two vexing problems.

It is a route that I fear the gov is attempting, they may also attempt the do the same thing through health care...stay tuned, read...vote!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    It is a route that I fear the gov is attempting, they may also attempt the do the same thing through health care...stay tuned, read...vote!

Yeah , something like , hey guns are dangerous/hazardous to the general publics well being and health, get rid of them!!!

The first panacea for a mismanaged nation is inflation of the currency; the second is war. Both bring a temporary prosperity; both bring a permanent ruin. But both are the refuge of political and economic opportunists. - Ernest Hemingway
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

We already have all the laws in place to get guns out of the hands of crimminals. Why not just enforce them?
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

Distinguished Member Array Guardian's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevew View Post
    We already have all the laws in place to get guns out of the hands of crimminals. Why not just enforce them?
    The way I see this and this is just my view is they can't enforce those laws on the criminals because they can't find those criminals to enforce those laws on. So, since they can't do that, they have to find someone to show that their laws are not weak and inefficient so they come after the law abiding and try and take ours knowing if they can, we will not become the criminals to counter them or most won't.

Does that make sense. I'm not gearing this to you Stevew. I'm just using your comments as a starting block my friend for my rant. Thanks for the loan of your comments.
    "I dislike death, however, there are some things I dislike more than death. Therefore, there are times when I will not avoid danger" Mencius"

Senior Member Array Shadowsbane's Avatar
    Something similar happened in Great Brition, so why not here?
    Now, we must all fear evil men. But there is another kind of evil which we must fear most, and that is the indifference of good men.

www.Lonelymountainleather.com

Legalizing drugs, and making guns illegal. The world upside down.

Distinguished Member Array tangoseal's Avatar
    Im moving to Montana very soon anyways...

Im going to build a escape camp deep in the mountains out there.... ill live for the rest of my life if I have to if it ever came down to the necessity sigh
    "I believe that the right of the citizen to keep and bear arms must not be infringed if liberty in America is to survive." - Ronald Reagan

It happened before. The failure that was Prohibition gave politicians the political footing to pass the NFA and we are still living with that today. The drug "war" is unfortunately very much so the same.

Any further discussion would delve into the topic of drug legalization, which is probably pretty political and I'm guessing would not be acceptable here.

First off, it's important to realize that a "war on guns" is part and parcel of every Western-style "democracy." Most "representative" governments have already succeeded in almost completely rendering their host populations defenseless.

Second, gun owners seem to have slightly more political pull than do illegal drug users.

Third, the "war on drugs" is an utter disaster on a scale only the government is capable of creating. It is a multi-billion dollar sinkhole that creates animosity toward the police and government in large groups of Americans. It also helps the gov't to imprison both a higher percentage and a higher number of people than anywhere else in the entire world. And still, just about any drug you might desire is available. Even in prisons. There is no reason to believe a "war on guns" would be any more successful on their part or palatable on ours.

Let's make both guns and drugs completely legal. I'd give the US about 6 months before armed citizens would have cleaned up all the violent drug crime.

Mel
    The Ethics of Liberty
    LewRockwell.com
    The Survival Podcast
    How long have we watered the Tree of Deceit with the blood of patriots?

Don't forget the how much the "war on drugs" has eroded our 4th amendment protections as well.

Also, ever wonder why a constitutional amendment was needed to prohibit alcohol, but wasn't needed to prohibit other drugs? Most of the American public doesn't, either.

The war on drugs is nothing more than a war on individual freedom. It should come as no surprise that the 2nd amendment would suffer along with other important liberties.

Quote Originally Posted by Stevew View Post
    I never understood the "the laws we have aren't working so let's make more" plan. They just don't get the fact, that no matter how many laws they make, [B]the crimminals are not going to follow them![B] That's why their called crimminals!
    "This country, with its institutions, belongs to the people who inhabit it. Whenever they shall grow weary of the existing Government, they can exercise their 'constitutional' right of amending it or their 'revolutionary' right to dismember or overthrow it." Abraham Lincoln

Links