VA: Firearms Freedom Act

This is a discussion on VA: Firearms Freedom Act within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Help Virginia Throw off Unconstitutional Gun Control! Gun Owners of America E-Mail Alert 8001 Forbes Place, Suite 102, Springfield, VA 22151 Phone: 703-321-8585 / FAX: ...

Thread: VA: Firearms Freedom Act

VA: Firearms Freedom Act

Help Virginia Throw off Unconstitutional Gun Control!

Gun Owners of America E-Mail Alert
    8001 Forbes Place, Suite 102, Springfield, VA 22151
    Phone: 703-321-8585 / FAX: 703-321-8408
    Gun Owners of America

Tuesday, January 12, 2010

The 2010 session of the Virginia General Assembly convenes tomorrow at noon. While there are several good gun bills (and a handful of bad ones) already pre-filed, one bill in particular should be of great interest to the Commonwealth's gun owners.

The bill is HB 69, introduced by Delegate Charles Carrico (R-5). Known as the Firearms Freedom Act, the bill is modeled after similar legislation which has been successful in other states, including Montana -- the first state to pass such a law.

The Firearms Freedom Act has a simple concept. It states that if a gun was made in Virginia, and then stays in Virginia, then the federal government may not regulate it under the Interstate Commerce Cause. (Because, you see, the gun was never part of any interstate commerce.)

This is important because the Commerce Clause is the "hook" that Congress has used to justify almost every single federal gun control law. But with the passage of HB 69, the Commonwealth will take a stand that guns stamped with the words "Made in Virginia" are no business of the federal government.

The session is just now starting, and Del. Carrico is looking for other delegates to co-patron (cosponsor) his bill. The more co-patrons the bill has, the more difficult it will be for the leadership to pretend HB 69 doesn't exist by letting it languish in the Militia, Police and Public Safety Committee.

ACTION: Please urge your state delegate to become a co-patron of HB 69.

To identify and contact your delegate, go to Welcome to the Virginia General Assembly - Who's My Legislator? and enter your address in the form provided. When the results display, clicking on the "More about" link will lead you to your delegate's e-mail address. Note: using the "Send a message" link on the results page is not recommended, as that will automatically send the message to both your delegate and senator.

A pre-written letter is provided below so that you can copy-and-paste it into the e-mail message you send your delegate.

----- Pre-written letter -----

Dear Delegate:

Please co-patron HB 69, the Virginia Firearms Freedom Act. This bill states that if a gun is manufactured in the state -- and the firearm stays in the state -- it is exempt from federal gun control laws. HB 69 is modeled after the laws that were recently passed in Montana and Tennessee.

This is one of the most important bills that you will vote on in 2010. This is more than just a Tenth Amendment resolution -- it is a bill that has teeth!

It's time that we send a message to the U.S. Congress and tell them to start legislating within the authority given them by the Constitution. Please help continue the movement that began in Montana by becoming a co-patron of HB 69.

Sincerely,
    NRA Life Member
    VCDL Member

2. Remove Ads

Remember that Monday, January 18, 2010, is Lobby Day in Richmond. If you can make it to Richmond on the 18th, you have an opportunity to tell your representatives in the legislature, face-to-face, too! There are a number of bills that deserve your support!
    - Tom
    You have the power to donate life.

How many guns are made in Va?

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom357 View Post
    Remember that Monday, January 18, 2010, is Lobby Day in Richmond. If you can make it to Richmond on the 18th, you have an opportunity to tell your representatives in the legislature, face-to-face, too! There are a number of bills that deserve your support!
    ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑

Absolutely

See:
    http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...g-session.html

Also, from time to time check:

VCDL's 2010 Legislation Tracking Tool
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rmac58 View Post
    How many guns are made in Va?
    My thought too. Symbolic, or maybe some gun maker in an anti state would be looking to relocate?
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

Is there going to be a student carry bill?

VIP Member

Not yet

Quote Originally Posted by joe26 View Post
    Is there going to be a student carry bill?
    The deadline for pre-filing bills has passed and no one has stepped up to the plate on this one yet.

New bills now come out of the final quota of 8 bills, so it is harder now to find someone to carry such a bill.

You might try your senator or perhaps another local delegate. And even that clock will stop running soon.

Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

Links