N. C. law?

N. C. law?

This is a discussion on N. C. law? within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; What are the laws pertaining to buying a handgun from an individual in N.C.? As I read them as long as the buyer has a ...

Thread: N. C. law?

N. C. law?

What are the laws pertaining to buying a handgun from an individual in N.C.? As I read them as long as the buyer has a permit or CCW an Individual can sell to that person, is that correct?
    Well You Boys Gonna Pull Them Pistols, Or Whistle Dixie.

for private sale, that is all that is required.
    I tend to include a Bill of Sale.
    Ritalin - So much easier than parenting.

Quote Originally Posted by rednecksport View Post
    What are the laws pertaining to buying a handgun from an individual in N.C.? As I read them as long as the buyer has a permit or CCW an Individual can sell to that person, is that correct?
    It's not required for even a private sale, however it is recommended to CYA. If they cannot come up with a permit then they probably arent allowed to have one to begin with. Definitely write up a bill of sale and both sign it also to CYA in case that gun is found used in a crime.
    Quote Originally Posted by rottkeeper View Post
    If you are living your life worried about being a victim all the time and not enjoying life to the fullest, you are already a victim...
    -You don't know what you don't see-

1*

NRA Member

Quote Originally Posted by LethalStang View Post
    It's not required for even a private sale, however it is recommended to CYA. If they cannot come up with a permit then they probably arent allowed to have one to begin with. Definitely write up a bill of sale and both sign it also to CYA in case that gun is found used in a crime.
    WRONG ! Please STOP giving out advice unless you know the statute.

Under North Carolina law, it is unlawful for any person, firm, or corporation to sell, give away, transfer, purchase, or receive, at any place in the state, any pistol, unless the purchaser or receiver has first obtained a license or permit to receive such a pistol by the sheriff of the county where the purchaser or receiver resides, or the purchaser or receiver possesses a valid North Carolina-issued concealed carry permit. This requirement to obtain a permit prior to the transfer of a pistol applies not only to a commercial transaction, typically at a sporting goods store, but also between private individuals or companies throughout North Carolina. N.C. Gen. Stat. 14-402(a)
    Ritalin - So much easier than parenting.

Quote Originally Posted by DblTap View Post
    WRONG ! Please STOP giving out advice unless you know the statute.

Under North Carolina law, it is unlawful for any person, firm, or corporation to sell, give away, transfer, purchase, or receive, at any place in the state, any pistol, unless the purchaser or receiver has first obtained a license or permit to receive such a pistol by the sheriff of the county where the purchaser or receiver resides, or the purchaser or receiver possesses a valid North Carolina-issued concealed carry permit. This requirement to obtain a permit prior to the transfer of a pistol applies not only to a commercial transaction, typically at a sporting goods store, but also between private individuals or companies throughout North Carolina. N.C. Gen. Stat. 14-402(a)
    Well i stand corrected SIR, and i havent been giving out bad advice (that im aware of). I called my County Sheriffs Dept years ago and asked them what was required for a private sale and they said nothing, but it is recommended to get the proper permits and BOS. Excuse me.
    If you are living your life worried about being a victim all the time and not enjoying life to the fullest, you are already a victim...

1*

NRA Member

Never true LEOs to know the law. Check for yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by tflhndn View Post
    Never true LEOs to know the law. Check for yourself.
    Yea, apparently that seems to be more and more the case lately.

1*

NRA Member

There may also be additional jurisdictional standards such as county or city ordinances that you may want to check. When in doubt, call the NC Attorney Generals Office.

Links