Liberals and Gun Control?

This is a discussion on Liberals and Gun Control? within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I understand what the arguments for gun control are and I don’t agree with them but what I don’t understand is why these arguments are ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Liberals and Gun Control?

Liberals and Gun Control?

I understand what the arguments for gun control are and I don’t agree with them but what I don’t understand is why these arguments are a part of the liberal mindset. It’s easy with issues like welfare. Liberals are bleeding hearts so they think the strong should carry the lazy but with gun control I don’t get it. I understand the liberal philosophy and don’t see how gun control ties into it.

Post edited in hopes of staying on topic.
    Last edited by jimtem; January 23rd, 2010 at 04:14 AM.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array tangoseal's Avatar
    Not to make this a political thread in anyway but before I or we can answer your question you need to first understand why your question is un-answerable and that you have to ask it here.

The first problem, not being mean, is that you clearly seem to not truly understand the constitution and especially the founding fathers. What they envisioned was the absolute opposite of some of your 1-9's listed.

In addition I will challenge you with this in order to help you on your quest to find the answer to the gun question posed above.

If Global Warming is real how do "YOU" prove it? Not someone else, media, govt, and others.

How do we take care of health care to prevent the so called backend 10 fold disaster? I bet the founding fathers had an answer for that and they didnt even have to think hard on the subject.

There is already an ironclad wall separating church and state and its in our constitution. Can you find out why it appears now there isn't? Or is it not being enforced because people stopped believing in our beloved document?

#8 above - If you want peace prepare for war!
    We make war that we may live in peace. - Aristotle

It is an unfortunate fact that we can secure peace only by preparing for war.
    -John F. Kennedy

Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." -Ben Franklin

-Off Topic
    Why should gay marriage be legal? Where is that even biologically compatible? I dont understand how babies can be made if everyone is married to the same sex variety? --dont drag this topic out on this question... but hey you volunteered it :-P It's like trying to shoot arrows out of a gun, they are not compatible.
    "I believe that the right of the citizen to keep and bear arms must not be infringed if liberty in America is to survive." - Ronald Reagan

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jimtem View Post
    The only rational I can see is that many liberals believe the government should take care of them and its possible that they apply that rational to the idea that government can ensure their safety 24/7.
    That's the the rationale for liberals... you said it, I didn't... you should know that if you're a liberal...
    "Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas!".... Sam Houston

Retired LEO
    Firearms Instructor
    NRA Life Member

Thanks for the reply Tangoseal. I suppose I should have just asked the question: Why is gun control a part of the liberal view and not the conservative view?

I'll try to edit my post so the thread doesn't get off track.

VIP Member
    Why is gun control a part of the liberal view and not the conservative view?
    Well, if someone takes care of you and makes all your decisions for you, you don't need to protect yourself... That same someone will protect you... They control your life, you don't...

Conservatives would rather be left alone to take care of themselves and make their own decisions...
    "Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas!".... Sam Houston

Retired LEO
    Firearms Instructor
    NRA Life Member

Thanks for the reply Tangoseal. I suppose I should have just asked the question: Why is gun control a part of the liberal view and not the conservative view?

I'll try to edit my post so the thread doesn't get off track.
    The answer is all about control. The liberal agenda, run by those in power, is to control your life. They want the say for what you see, hear, eat, think, do. They want control over what you drive, how much you make, how much you give to the gubmint.

For some, it really is about their concern for the downtrodden. For most, it is all about their concern that they be in charge.

JMO.
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliott

The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

Ron
    Quote Originally Posted by miklcolt45 View Post
    The answer is all about control. The liberal agenda, run by those in power, is to control your life. They want the say for what you see, hear, eat, think, do. They want control over what you drive, how much you make, how much you give to the gubmint.

For some, it really is about their concern for the downtrodden. For most, it is all about their concern that they be in charge.

JMO.
    Mike has it right on. That is the answer that explains the thinking of most "Liberals."
    "It does not do to leave a dragon out of your calculations, if you live near him."

J. R. R. Tolkien

Distinguished Member Array Guardian's Avatar
    I understand what the arguments for gun control are and I donít agree with them but what I donít understand is why these arguments are a part of the liberal mindset. Itís easy with issues like welfare. Liberals are bleeding hearts so they think the strong should carry the lazy but with gun control I donít get it. I understand the liberal philosophy and donít see how gun control ties into it.

Post edited in hopes of staying on topic.
    Lord, we could make this one long thread, I just like to think of it as some people, because I know a lot of people who vote liberal that own guns thus making them pro-gun making your theory that liberals are anti-gun and conservatives are pro-gun. You need to get out of that mind set. It's people, not necessary a political classification by itself.

Instead of saying Liberals, say what is it with the bleeding hearts in this country or the anti-gunners. Just my thoughts to you my friend.
    "I dislike death, however, there are some things I dislike more than death. Therefore, there are times when I will not avoid danger" Mencius"

Quote Originally Posted by Guardian View Post
    Instead of saying Liberals, say what is it with the bleeding hearts in this country or the anti-gunners. Just my thoughts to you my friend.
    I've found that lot of people who vote liberal have no idea what Liberalism stands for: big government and Big Brother. They may do well to visit the Libertarian Party website, figure out if they're really a libertarian, and start voting appropriately.
    NRA member
    Registered voter
    Make it take an army to back you down.

btw it took the wrong quote. it should have quoted: I know a lot of people who vote liberal that own guns thus making them pro-gun making your theory that liberals are anti-gun and conservatives are pro-gun.

my bad.
    NRA member
    Registered voter
    Make it take an army to back you down.

Quote Originally Posted by Guardian View Post
    Lord, we could make this one long thread, I just like to think of it as some people, because I know a lot of people who vote liberal that own guns thus making them pro-gun making your theory that liberals are anti-gun and conservatives are pro-gun. You need to get out of that mind set. It's people, not necessary a political classification by itself.

I think there are a lot of conservative Democrats "blue dogs" That own guns and still vote dem not relizing the party is in total control of libs or in denial ..lol
    My brother in law is a total liberal and owns a gun for the sake of argument I think, he never shoots it doesnt even tear down or clean it kind of like saying M.Moore is a member of the NRA just for sake of argument and my brother in law wants gun control or abolishment there of I have argued with him many times and as for my coservative view point i feel as Im carrying on and protecting the Constitution.
    "If you want peace, prepare for war." Si vis pacem, para bellum.

Old Paratroopers never die , we just regroup!!
    82nd ABN DIV.. GOD Bless our Troops!!
    Foward Observer 3/505thPIR - A/319thAFAR
    87-91 "Just Cause - Desert Sheild/Storm"

VIP Member
    Another political thread. Ugh.

There are plenty of centrist and liberal pro-2A folks. They pop up here with considerable regularity. Then, too often get run off by participants here with extremely intolerant right wing views.

I didn't see the list which was apparently appended to the first post in the thread. Tangoseal seems to have addressed it. Good for him.

I didn't get to see the numbered items. However, in answer to the OP's foremost question - the reason Democrats and liberals are anti-gun is because they look at the world in a specific way.

They see the world as a place where there are "father figures" and "children" who need to be guided and protected. Naturally they see themselves as the ones with the guiding hands. And, naturally, they see that "children" have no business being invested with personal responsibility and freedom to do what they want.

So, they make laws which restrict freedoms and take away liberties while usurping power to themselves. The easiest way to do this occurs whenever the populace becomes dependent upon those in power for even the smallest of life sustaining needs like food and water and the inability of anyone to defend themselves and be free from prosecution for it. Where everyone has rights greater than any individual and the assertion of those individual rights will result in punishment and public stigma.

Meanwhile, these "leaders" revel in debauchery and call it their "due, or reward, or compensation" for being our "leaders." They have STOLEN from us and blame us for complaining about it.

The liberal believes that the government is the answer to all your problems, therefore, you do not need a gun.

The conservative believes in individual responsibility, and freedom, therefore, he (or she) is prepared to defend himself. (and doesn't look to the government for help)

I've found that lot of people who vote liberal have no idea what Liberalism stands for: big government and Big Brother. They may do well to visit the Libertarian Party website, figure out if they're really a libertarian, and start voting appropriately.
    Well by todays standard the libertarian and the liberal are not the same. The term liberal now has been hijacked by the progressive movement or if you prefer the statist. This really started to take hold under Woodrow Wilson. The conservative or as I prefer the federalist believes that the goverment can only do what is enumerated in the constitution.

Any how to answer the original question. The liberal (progessive or statist) when in power wants gun control because that is the only way the population can be truly controlled, when they are disarmed. They promise their constituents safety by the goverment in return, plus a lot of supposedly free stuff to boot. So they capitulate to the goverment, but when they find out that they no longer protected from the goverment then it's too late.

"Experience hath shown, that even under the best form of goverment those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it to tyranny." -Thomas Jefferson-
    "Those who would give up essential liberties for a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty or safety" -Benjamin Franklin-

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links