Should LEOs disarm you when they perform a "non-felony traffic stop"?

This is a discussion on Should LEOs disarm you when they perform a "non-felony traffic stop"? within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Some members have been posting their interactions with Law Enforcement Officers (LEOs) and sometimes they get disarmed, while other times they are left armed during ...

View Poll Results: Should LEOs disarm you when they perform a "non-felony traffic stop"?

Voters
202. You may not vote on this poll
  • LEOs should disarm me immediately upon knowing I am legally carrying arms openly, but they should not disarm me when I am legally carrying concealed.

3 1.49%
  • LEOs should disarm me immediately upon knowing I am legally carrying arms concealed, but they should not disarm me when I am legally carrying openly.

0 0%
  • LEOs should disarm me immediately upon knowing I am legally carrying arms, either openly or concealed.

9 4.46%
  • LEOs should not disarm me immediately upon knowing I am legally carrying arms, either openly or concealed.

190 94.06%
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Should LEOs disarm you when they perform a "non-felony traffic stop"?

Should LEOs disarm you when they perform a "non-felony traffic stop"?

Some members have been posting their interactions with Law Enforcement Officers (LEOs) and sometimes they get disarmed, while other times they are left armed during the stop. I searched around and saw no poll on the matter, even though opinions vary, so here goes the question…

Should LEOs disarm you when they perform a "non-felony traffic stop"? Examples of this type of traffic stop would be speeding 5-10mph over, broken tail light, expired tags, performing a rolling stop, etc. Bottom line is you are legally armed and the LEO becomes aware of the matter because you presented your carry permit, the LEO saw you openly carrying a firearm legally, he ran your plate and your “armed legally status” came up on screen, etc. Please read the options before answering. Limit your answers to being in a traffic stop, as I will post a separate poll for being approached by LEOs while you are on foot/not in a vehicle.
    I can no longer keep track of threads as I used to. If you need to contact me, PM me instead of asking me something in the thread. Disclaimer - No legal advice issued anywhere. Take care.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Are you really surprised at the answers you're getting...
    "Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas!".... Sam Houston

Retired LEO
    Firearms Instructor
    NRA Life Member

If your legal they should leave you alone, but your not they should face plant you.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

USN 78-82/USAF 82-93 Medically Retired
    Desert Shield/Desert Storm
    DAV Life Member
    NRA Life Member

Administrator
    It depends on the situation, and everyone is different. I think they should be able too, but most of the time its not necessary.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Quote Originally Posted by TX-JB View Post
    Are you really surprised at the answers you're getting...
    I would hope they stay like that during the poll's life, we'll see if every one posting about their good experiences while being disarmed by LEOs actually come here and vote.
    I can no longer keep track of threads as I used to. If you need to contact me, PM me instead of asking me something in the thread. Disclaimer - No legal advice issued anywhere. Take care.

Quote Originally Posted by PatrioticRick View Post
    If your legal they should leave you alone, but your not they should face plant you.
    Then life in hard labor after you are convicted sounds nice.

Distinguished Member
    If that what it takes for the officer to feel safe then so be it.

However if it's just one officer I would request his supervisor be on scene before I start unholstering and handing a loaded gun out the window. God forbid something happens I'd want another witness on scene.

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    It depends on the situation, and everyone is different. I think they should be able too, but most of the time its not necessary.
    If they are doing the shaky jake while the car reeks of pot smell, I can see the disarming. But I'm more interested in a simple stop, like 5mph over, that sometimes has people disarmed in the back of a cruiser, while others just go on their way with a warning.

Senior Moderator
    I have yet to see the need to disarm anyone on a "routine" traffic stop.
    When I run the DL, the CHL status will come up.

However, I do understand that things are different from one place to the next, so there could be many different answers.
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

I have thought about this and I understand both views. I think that the LEO after learning I am carrying either way concealed or open carry should ask where my gun is being carried and if he can hold it until he runs my DL or CCW license and finds out I am a good guy. All I ask is to be treated with respect. I see the other side of safety for the LEO since there is lots of BGs out there. I don't believe I should be yanked out my truck and slammed to the ground after identifying I have a CCW!
    God Bless the troops...especially the snipers!
    -LaRue Tactical -

no brainer
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

In NC we must inform. However, I've never had one even ask where I was carrying the pistol. Did have one guy ask what I had, but he just was bored and wanted to talk guns.
    "If we loose Freedom here, there's no place to escape to. This is the Last Place on Earth!" Ronald Reagan

I say "No!", but the young rookie cop may think differently...but for a routine, simple traffic stop where I offer my CCW permit and the stop is for 10 over...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member Array Rugergirl's Avatar
    It seems to me the simple answer is "Don't get pulled over".
    That said I haven't been stopped while driving since I got my MI CPL, and the way I tend to drive, well lets just say I've been lucky.
    Should the officer disarm someone? For me that varies by each officer and the shift he's had, and the person he's stopped. If he's had a bad evening, adreniline ramped up, and the person he stopped is a rude dude with an attitude, sure he should. An officer on a quiet shift stops someone who is mature and polite, probably not.
    LEO's tend to meet all kinds of people and very often a simple traffic stop can be anything but simple. To me I don't care if I'm disarmed, as long as I am treated with the same respect I will show any officer who stops me.
    Disclaimer: The posts made by this member are only the members opinion, not a reflection on anyone else, nor the group, and should not be cause for anyone to get their undergarments wedged in an uncomfortable position.

Per Oklahoma Law.

E. Nothing in this section shall be construed to authorize a law
    enforcement officer to inspect any weapon properly concealed without
    probable cause that a crime has been committed.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links