Should LEOs disarm you during a non-violent misdemeanor or a "civil penalty" stop?

Should LEOs disarm you during a non-violent misdemeanor or a "civil penalty" stop?

This is a discussion on Should LEOs disarm you during a non-violent misdemeanor or a "civil penalty" stop? within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Some members have been posting their interactions with Law Enforcement Officers (LEOs) and sometimes they get disarmed, while other times they are left armed during ...

View Poll Results: Should LEOs disarm you during a non-violent misdemeanor or a "civil penalty" stop?

Voters
43. You may not vote on this poll
  • LEOs should disarm me immediately upon knowing I am legally carrying arms openly, but they should not disarm me when I am legally carrying concealed.

2 4.65%
  • LEOs should disarm me immediately upon knowing I am legally carrying arms concealed, but they should not disarm me when I am legally carrying openly.

0 0%
  • LEOs should disarm me immediately upon knowing I am legally carrying arms, either openly or concealed.

3 6.98%
  • LEOs should not disarm me immediately upon knowing I am legally carrying arms, either openly or concealed.

38 88.37%

Thread: Should LEOs disarm you during a non-violent misdemeanor or a "civil penalty" stop?

Some members have been posting their interactions with Law Enforcement Officers (LEOs) and sometimes they get disarmed, while other times they are left armed during the stop. I searched around and saw no poll on the matter, even though opinions vary, so here goes the question…

Should LEOs disarm you when you are stopped for questioning in relation to a non-violent misdemeanor, a civil penalty/fine, etc? Examples of this type of stop would be you were littering, you were openly carrying arms on public, you happen to walk up to your vehicle as a parking ticket was being placed in your windshield wiper while you were not around, you called the LEOs to file an incident report/file a complaint against someone else, etc. Bottom line is you are legally armed and the LEO becomes aware of the matter because you presented your carry permit, the LEO saw you openly carrying a firearm legally, he ran your ID/plate and your “armed legally status” came up on screen, etc. Please read the options before answering. Limit your answers to being approached by LEOs while being in public and you are on foot/not in a vehicle, as I will post a separate poll for being in a traffic stop.
    Last edited by cagueits; January 26th, 2010 at 12:23 AM.
    I can no longer keep track of threads as I used to. If you need to contact me, PM me instead of asking me something in the thread. Disclaimer - No legal advice issued anywhere. Take care.

I voted "LEO should not disarm me." I don't see the benefit for disarmament of a licensed individual under these circumstances.
    Duty, Honor, Country...MEDIC!!!
    ¡Cuánto duele crecer, cuan hondo es el dolor de alzarse en puntillas y observar con temblores de angustia, esa cosa tremenda, que es la vida del hombre! - René Marqués

In the State of Louisiana, a CCW holder is required to advise the officer that they are carrying if the conversation goes beyond anything more than an tip of the hat or a "weather sure is nice out." It is up to the officer after that how they handle it. I have had one disarm me at a traffic stop, and 2 or 3 on other occasions nod, shrug, and thank me for letting them know. It's usually all about circumstance (context) and attitude. Older, more experienced officers actually seem far less concerned than some of the younger new officers. I believe that once the wave of CCW / open carry reform becomes a daily occurrence for them, it won't be such an issue.

*stating this as a civilian but am sworn reserve officer with the city I live in*

innocent until proven guilty
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

Not now-a-days...it's guilty until proven innocent. I also voted no for this type of scenario.

I couldn't vote "depends". For me it depends on the LEO's comfort level. It wouldn't bother me to be temporarily disarmed to make that person more comfortable, they have a stressful enough job as it is. I'd have to draw the line on getting handcuffed for the duration of the stop, however

Of course, seeing that the last time I was pulled over was 22 years ago (I am a boring, lawful driver) I don't see this happening any time soon.

Distinguished Member Array Spec's Avatar
    There is NO let me repeat myself NO reason should a LEO disarm a LEGALLY carried firearm by an American citizen, OC or CC.
    NRA Certified Rifle/Pistol Instructor
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G18CFw0lnD8

Accuracy ALWAYS WINS! So carry what you can hit with.

If you find yourself in a fair fight your tactics stink.

Quote Originally Posted by OngngFreedom View Post
    I couldn't vote "depends". For me it depends on the LEO's comfort level. It wouldn't bother me to be temporarily disarmed to make that person more comfortable, they have a stressful enough job as it is. I'd have to draw the line on getting handcuffed for the duration of the stop, however

Of course, seeing that the last time I was pulled over was 22 years ago (I am a boring, lawful driver) I don't see this happening any time soon.
    Heres a response on the other poll as to why I left the "depends"part out.
    I can no longer keep track of threads as I used to. If you need to contact me, PM me instead of asking me something in the thread. Disclaimer - No legal advice issued anywhere. Take care.

Short answer..."No!"...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Sponsored Links