Either I am Ignorant or Confused but..

This is a discussion on Either I am Ignorant or Confused but.. within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I have a problem believing that the Government is out to take (besides a minor majorityof politician wackos that think this way) or has the ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Either I am Ignorant or Confused but..

I have a problem believing that the Government is out to take (besides a minor majorityof politician wackos that think this way) or has the ability to take our weapons. Is this the same government that couldn't even organize a good relief effort in New Orleans (very tiny compared to taking guns) or the same country that thought that Saddam had WMD (that we are still looking for i suppose) right before we attacked it or the same country that can't find one man (Bin Laden) but we the people (some not all) believe that they can come and get our guns. I am not naive nor am I paranoid I just don't think it can happen and "no" the gun confiscation in Germany was not even close to what this task would be for a government that is in debt and would have a hard time justifying spending alot of money on gun confiscation to we the people. I think that the american people have learned from confiscations in history (Stalin/Hitler) and would never let it happen. Please help me understand?

I also do not think that there will ever be a national attempt to take our guns. There are too many lawmakers who would not go along with it.
    They will never get the votes to outlaw guns, although there are some who wish they could.

But one way we keep the border liners in line is to band together in organizations like the NRA. Although I do not believe confiscation will ever take place there could be repressive laws passed, such as ammunition ID or even outlandish taxes on guns and ammo.

I must admit that one of my worries is that one of the conservatives on the SCOTUS will die or have to retire while we have Obama or another liberal president. One more liberal justice would have changed the latest rulings in our favor.

Regards,
    Jerry

The one with extra butter is mine....
    For as the lightning comes from the east and flashes to the west, so also will the coming of the son of man be. Mathew 24:27

NRA Member

Quote Originally Posted by rottkeeper View Post

The one with extra butter is mine....
    Need anything to drink with that? I'll buy!
    “Owning a handgun doesn’t make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician.” Jeff Cooper

http://carniakcustom.com/

VIP Member
    It is a very interesting perspective, and one I would be inclined to agree with---except---most folks really are law abiding. So if there was some law passed requiring you to get rid of your guns, most (including many here who say they never would) would comply; because that is what law abiding folks do.

I consider myself to be law abiding (except for the occasional ticket) but there is no way I would turn my guns over to the government.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete14 View Post
    I consider myself to be law abiding (except for the occasional ticket) but there is no way I would turn my guns over to the government.
    They could tax ammo through the roof and turn your gun into a fancy club.
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

Good thing I have 20,000 rounds in my basement!

Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    It is a very interesting perspective, and one I would be inclined to agree with---except---most folks really are law abiding. So if there was some law passed requiring you to get rid of your guns, most (including many here who say they never would) would comply; because that is what law abiding folks do.
    I think you're right, also many who own guns are not that avid in using them for a sporting interest. Many don't even have them as home protection, I know people who own guns that keep them in the attic or basement packed away. The only reason they have them is they were passed down or they once had an interest in them but have changed interest. These people will hand them over before then put their neck on the line.

Right now my concern is more with the state in which I live, NY has some rabid anti gun legislation they are trying to pass.
    For as the lightning comes from the east and flashes to the west, so also will the coming of the son of man be. Mathew 24:27

NRA Member

Administrator

I can't speak for anybody else but, for certain you can believe that they are not ever taking mine.

The expression..."It Is A Good Day To Die." comes to mind.

Now...quit hoggin' that popcorn.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete14 View Post
    Good thing I have 20,000 rounds in my basement!
    What was your address? I want to send you a card...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

They do it in small grabs, not in huge broad based moves like the health care bill they've been unsuccessful passing.
    Like the Brady Bill, it wasn't the huge gun confiscation, it was a bunch of "reasonable" restrictions. (High cap magazines, certain features on "assault weapons", etc)
    A little at a time, over decades if necessary.

Senior Moderator
    Can it happen here?

I think so. We only have to look as far as Canada,England or Australia. While they didn't actually go house to house taking guns, they simply legislated them into oblivion. Here on this forum we read about the ridiculous happening in England where they go to great expense to prosecute people that use guns in self defense while letting the thugs that caused the use of them to go free.

Some of our own states even require registration of firearms and for what purpose? History will prove that the only reason for registration of weapons is for the purpose of confiscation. There is no other reason.

Can you use a handgun to defend yourself in Illinois?
    Can you buy ammo without a "firearm owners I.D. card? Why not?
    How about D.C.? Until recently, you couldn't even legally own a handgun if you happened to live there.

We have a President that has surrounded himself with known anti-gunners in his Administration. The POTUS, The VPOTUS, the Speaker of the House, the Secretary of State,the Attorney General, all of them would eliminate private ownership of firearms if they thought they could get away with it and many of them have publicly stated that fact. The United Nations, which many of them believe in, works around the clock to eliminate private ownership of weapons though various methods.

Our own Senators and Congressmen can tax them to death or legislate them into oblivion or make them so difficult to manufacture with bogus legislation that it will eventually cost a fortune to buy one, which will effectively prohibit the average American from being about to buy one because they cant afford it.

Can it happen here?

I believe that it can. Look around at some of the ridiculous regulations. You don't have to look far or long to figure out what they are about.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    Can it happen here?

I think so. We only have to look as far as Canada,England or Australia. While they didn't actually go house to house taking guns, they simply legislated them into oblivion. Here on this forum we read about the ridiculous happening in England where they go to great expense to prosecute people that use guns in self defense while letting the thugs that caused the use of them to go free.

Some of our own states even require registration of firearms and for what purpose? History will prove that the only reason for registration of weapons is for the purpose of confiscation. There is no other reason.

Can you use a handgun to defend yourself in Illinois?
    Can you buy ammo without a "firearm owners I.D. card? Why not?
    How about D.C.? Until recently, you couldn't even legally own a handgun if you happened to live there.

We have a President that has surrounded himself with known anti-gunners in his Administration. The POTUS, The VPOTUS, the Speaker of the House, the Secretary of State,the Attorney General, all of them would eliminate private ownership of firearms if they thought they could get away with it and many of them have publicly stated that fact. The United Nations, which many of them believe in, works around the clock to eliminate private ownership of weapons though various methods.

Our own Senators and Congressmen can tax them to death or legislate them into oblivion or make them so difficult to manufacture with bogus legislation that it will eventually cost a fortune to buy one, which will effectively prohibit the average American from being able to buy one because they cant afford it.

Can it happen here?

I believe that it can. Look around at some of the ridiculous regulations. You don't have to look far or long to figure out what they are about.
    +1 It has already started.

NRA Member

Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    Can it happen here?

I think so. We only have to look as far as Canada,England or Australia. While they didn't actually go house to house taking guns, they simply legislated them into oblivion.
    As of 2009 there were 7.5 million registered firearms in Canada and who knows how many unregistered there are. This does not seem like oblivion to me.

Facts and Figures (October – December, 2009)

I believe the difference between our country and most is that we have the right to bear arms in our constitution. I doubt that Canada, England or Australia say anything about that in whatever they have.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links