This is a discussion on Firearms Use In Crime and Self Defense within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; * In the United States during 1997, people committed 15,289 murders. The perpetrators used a firearm in 10,369 of these instances. * In the United ...
* In the United States during 1997, people committed 15,289 murders. The perpetrators used a firearm in 10,369 of these instances.
* In the United States during 1997, people committed about 7,927,000 violent crimes. The perpetrators used a firearm in about 691,000 of these instances.
* As of 1992, for about every 14 violent crimes (murder, rape, etc…) committed in the United States, one person is sentenced to prison.
* As of 1992, average length of imprisonment for:
-- Murder 10.0 years
-- Rape 7.6 years
-- Aggravated Assault 3.4 years
* In the early/mid 1990\'s, criminals on parole or early release from prison committed about 5,000 murders, 17,000 rapes, and 200,000 robberies a year.
* Americans use firearms to defend themselves from criminals about 760,000 times a year. This figure is the lowest among a group of 15 nationwide polls done by organizations including Gallup and the Los Angeles Times.
* Approximately 11% of gun owners and 13% of handgun owners have used their firearms for protection from criminals.
* When citizens use guns for protection from criminals, the criminal is wounded in about 1 out of every 100 instances, and the criminal is killed in about 1 out of every 1000 instances.
* Washington D.C. enacted a virtual ban on handguns in 1976. Between 1976 and 1991, Washington D.C.\'s homicide rate rose 200%, while the U.S. rate rose 12%.