NYC at it again!!

This is a discussion on NYC at it again!! within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Some New Yorkers tax dollars at work. Glad they're not using my money....

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: NYC at it again!!

Lead Moderator
    Some New Yorkers tax dollars at work. Glad they're not using my money.
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

2. Remove Ads

Senior Moderator
    It seems New York is very concerned about guns. So naturally, their background checks for handgun permits would be very rigorous, right?

Ooops, apparently not: http://www.atf.gov/firearms/050206op...er-ny_ffls.pdf

New York's investigations are substandard, and FFLs may no longer rely on them...

ROFLMAO!!!

Matt

Senior Moderator
    I sent the ATF Field Office for NY an email:

To whom it may concern:

Recently, there has been a spate of media coverage over New York City Mayor Mike Bloomberg's recent lawsuit against several dealers located outside the state of New York.

It seems that Mr. Bloomberg hired people to go to these shops to attempt "straw purchases" of handguns, which he freely states in his media releases.

At the very least, these individuals have conspired to supply false information on the form 4473s they executed to make these purchases, regardless of whether they took physical possession of the firearms or not.

Politicians should not be above the law. When a politician elects to conspire with others to commit a felony in furtherance of their political goals, this should not escape the scrutiny of law enforcement. Had a private citizen engaged in this conduct, he or she would most likely be charged at either the state or federal levels.

It is my hope that the ATF will look into this matter, and handle it accordingly.

Sincerely,
    Matthew Larson
    Casselberry, Florida
    It will be interesting to see what, if any, response I get.

Matt

VIP Member
    I think the same missive should be sent to the FBI and the US Attorney General.
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

Matt,

You won't get a response. This may fall under the "stings" that local police are allowed to conduct, like on selling cigarettes to underage people.

"They" are allowed to break the law while putting us into prison when we do so (accidentally or with intent). "They" are above the law and nothing will happen to them.

Wayne

Distinguished Member Array AutoFan's Avatar
    But as I understand it, Bloomberg didn't use cops in the "sting", but hired PI's. So wouldn't it fall outside of the realm where cops can break the law in order to enforce it? And Bloomberg, as a local official, can't legally run a sting on violations of a federal statue (unless NYC has a straw man law on the books).

Even so, you are right that nothing will happen to him, as he is the mayor of a major metro city and wasn't caught on video doing drugs with a hooker.

One of the gun shops charged is a guy in my county, who sells at shows and out of his home. The news, this morning, was referring to it as a sting. But this sting was conducted by PI's, not law enforcement, across state lines, without contacting or coordinating with local or state law enforcement in the other states involved (or at least, according to the AG, here, not in Virginia).

I'd like to know exactly what they did. If they misrepresented their purchase, and there was no way for the seller to know it was a straw purchase, then this sounds like it might qualify as entrapment, if the sting is even legal. It isn't clear to me that the PI qualifies as an agent of the law.
    - Tom
    You have the power to donate life.

Senior Moderator
    If they filed false information on the 4473s, they committed a felony at the federal level, and probably at the state level as well.

Since these were private investigators (probably not licensed in the states they visited for this activity), they should not have any immunity. Regardless of whether or not they actually took possession of the firearms, executing a falsified 4473 is a criminal act.

Matt

Senior Member Array ssssthesnake's Avatar
    how do you discourage sinceless law suites when the citys file them and dose mean that i can sue newyork if i find a product from that city did harm in california ***
    Last edited by ssssthesnake; May 20th, 2006 at 12:02 AM.

so how do we push the issue? There has to be a way to file a complaint. I retired from NYPD and yes the city just does what it wants when it wants. What's funny is the Gun companies kept selling guns to the city even as the city was filing those HUD lawsuits.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mcclearypl
    On this same note I got a call from a new person in my city trying to report a person wearing a weapon while doing yard work. I advised her that was ok in Florida and that we would not be taking any police action. She made noises like a stuck pig and advised she was going to move back to NYC where she felt safe. I reckin we won both ways. She wont be here and wont be voting here we cant loose.
    ....let me know if she needs a ride to the airport.....

I was in NYC, NJ and Charlotte over the past three days....it was great being in the Big Apple (and the PRNJ) enjoying a great dinner all the while carrying concealed my duty SIGARMS P229.
    USAF: Loving Our Obscene Amenities Since 1947

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links