Brady Bunch campaigning for Gun Show law change

This is a discussion on Brady Bunch campaigning for Gun Show law change within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; They have convinced many Congressman, that this will cover "unlicensed dealers" , and not of course explaining they are really talking about " personal sales ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Brady Bunch campaigning for Gun Show law change

They have convinced many Congressman, that this will cover "unlicensed dealers" , and not of course explaining they are really talking about " personal sales by individuals" , not dealers.

I hope everyone is writing their Congressman to not fall for this disception by the Brady Bunch.

here is what's on their site : Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence

"No Background Check, No Gun, No Excuses"
    Watch our new video with Colin Goddard, Virginia Tech Survivor

Want More? Watch Colin shop at a Gun Show

SIGN THE PETITION
    Tell Congress it's time to close the gun show loophole

Dear Congress,
    It's time for you to close the gun show loophole. Convicted felons and other dangerous people should not be allowed to buy guns at gun shows without a Brady criminal background check.

First Name
    Second
    Last
    Email :
    City, State
    Phone :
    Zip code :

I have never purchased a gun at a gun show and I'm not at all familiar with the issue. What is the "gun show loop hole" that seems to get so much attention?

Edit - Never mind, did my own research.
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

I think the reality is that if we want to keep our 2A rights, we are going to have to do it by their rules. In the end background checks and no sales by individuals may be a fact of life for all states.

Too many gun owners I talk to have no problem with background checks because they are all law abiding citizens. I understand that is not the point when it comes to the 2A but that is the reality of people's perceptions.

Too many gun owners separate the 2A from "gun ownership" in their heads. And as long as they can get guns, even if they have to play by legal rules, they will.... After all we've all played by the rules of our states, as crazy as some may be.

There is a big difference between "gun owner", and "2A advocate", and I think that disconnect is something of an issue.

At columbine they broke over forty laws before showing up at the school.
    Just how many laws do we need before the Brady bunch feel safe?
    The facts show that it is not gun shows selling to people that shouldn’t have the guns.
    The guns at columbine were bought legally.
    So now who are we going to blame it on?

Quote Originally Posted by fatcat View Post
    I think the reality is that if we want to keep our 2A rights, we are going to have to do it by their rules.
    Whose rules?? Why compromise when the other side doesn't.

In the end background checks and no sales by individuals may be a fact of life for all states.
    Not if I or any of my peers have anything to do with it. Just because I decide to purchase a firearm from another individual, it does not mean I should be treated like a felon. Frankly, I think felons/parolees/prohibited persons should have a big red "F" on their drivers licenses/state IDs to identify themselves as felons. A law-abiding citizen should not have to prove they are a law-abiding person.

Too many gun owners I talk to have no problem with background checks because they are all law abiding citizens. I understand that is not the point when it comes to the 2A but that is the reality of people's perceptions.
    Years of conditioning will do that...I used to believe the same thing...then I moved out of Illinois. Now that I live in Virginia, I cherish the rights I have...and recognize those rights have been defended by those who have given their lives....there is NO WAY I am going to quietly allow "them" to define what the rules are. We fight them at the ballot box.

Too many gun owners separate the 2A from "gun ownership" in their heads. And as long as they can get guns, even if they have to play by legal rules, they will.... After all we've all played by the rules of our states, as crazy as some may be.

There is a big difference between "gun owner", and "2A advocate", and I think that disconnect is something of an issue.
    Agreed...that is why gun owners should be 2A advocates...."shall not be infringed" was not a suggestion. The more laws/rules endorsed by anti-gun, anti-freedom groups, and enacted by lawmakers do NOTHING by infringe on our rights and do nothing to prevent BGs from getting firearms.
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Distinguished Member Array Gunnutty's Avatar
    SIGguy229, I agree with you 100 percent. I've been in touch with my elected officials. I'm not going to let this go without a fight. A legal one of course.
    We will be much better off when we learn to deal with things as they really are, instead of how we wish them to be!

Mic
    Jesus again! why can't we just get some crime bills passed that punishes the criminals and not law abiding citizens
    Timid people sleep peacefully at night because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Molôn Labé!

Distinguished Member Array BigStick's Avatar
    I think the reality is that if we want to keep our 2A rights, we are going to have to do it by their rules.
    Absolutely not!!! Because their rules are NO GUNS!!

The rules they are oushing now are just the incrimental steps that they know they have to take because their real goals would never fly. Fight them every step of the way, because it will be way harder to get our rights back than it is to loose them.
    Walk softly ...

Just to make sure I understand the issue/arguement here -

The anti gun folks make a issue over the "gun show loop hole" because a un-licensed person can go there and sell fire arms without doing a back ground check.

The pro gun folks make a issue over making it a crime to do so because they think that the verbage would allow the law to be applied to ALL private sales not just those at gun shows.

Is that more or less correct?
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

Rollo...you have the gist...

However, there is NO gun show "loop hole". It's a fallacy based on the illogical premise that anyone/everyone who sells a gun (even those who are selling from their private collection) must be licensed. The Brady campaign (and the like) want to apply it to all sales...with criminal consequences.

Basically, if the government is not involved, the anti-gun (anti-freedom) advocates believe you and I must be doing something wrong.

You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

I wouldn't go so far as to say there is no loop hole... While it is true that what they try to make the loop hole sound like IE anyone can walk into a gun show and buy a gun from any vendor there without a back ground check is false. It is true that you can go to a gun show, get a booth and sell guns without running a background check as long as your not a FFL dealer.

The claims are pretty outlandish on both sides of the table to be honest. I think it's fair to say that none of us law abiding citizens want criminals to be able to buy weapons. However I think there is probably some middle ground that hasn't ben explored (by BOTH sides) that could go along way towards solving this issue. But I can say this for sure. Gun owners like myself and most others here are not served well by screaming "THERE IS NO LOOP HOLE!!!" That makes us as bad as they are and frankly I thought we were more responsible then them. Just like I don't think the other side is served well by screaming "ANY ONE CAN BUY A GUN AT A GUN SHOW!!!".

Quote Originally Posted by SIGguy229 View Post
    Rollo...you have the gist...

However, there is NO gun show "loop hole". It's a fallacy based on the illogical premise that anyone/everyone who sells a gun (even those who are selling from their private collection) must be licensed. The Brady campaign (and the like) want to apply it to all sales...with criminal consequences.

Basically, if the government is not involved, the anti-gun (anti-freedom) advocates believe you and I must be doing something wrong.

If you don't like the second amendment and how it was written, you have the right to move to another Country where guns are not legal, nobody is stopping you, so quit your whining. JMHO
    Μολὼν λαβέ

USN 78-82/USAF 82-93 Medically Retired
    Desert Shield/Desert Storm
    DAV Life Member
    NRA Life Member

Then I would venture to say that based on your premise that same response could be used to to reply to everyone that is complaining about Obama and liberals and well..pretty much anything to do with politics in our country.

Face it. The constitution CAN be changed. Some times for the better and some times for the worse. Political engagement and discussion is one of the things that makes this country great. To simply say "If you dont like it move to russia" is...well... I don't know what it it is.

Quote Originally Posted by PatrioticRick View Post
    If you don't like the second amendment and how it was written, you have the right to move to another Country where guns are not legal, nobody is stopping you, so quit your whining. JMHO

Freedom isn't a loophole....

No one knows that better then someone that wouldn't be able to vote if it werent for a constitutional amendment.
    Quote Originally Posted by SIGguy229 View Post
    Freedom isn't a loophole....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links