What does this do to my gun rights?

This is a discussion on What does this do to my gun rights? within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I would install cctv cameras in the home. Get the kid into a drug program. And put the Ex on notice that he is not ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What does this do to my gun rights?

I would install cctv cameras in the home. Get the kid into a drug program. And put the Ex on notice that he is not welcome into your home. Any contact between your wife and ex can be handled the phone or thru attorneys.

I would look in to getting the kid amancipated. Get rid of the kid. Maybe the kid and Ex will overdose together. Get rid of two problems at once.

Emancipation: Encyclopedia of Everyday Law

2. Remove Ads

Restraining order against ex hubby.

Criminal charges of "giving false information to a police office in the performance of his duties" against ex hubby.

Criminal charges of "making a false police report" against ex hubby.

Civil charges of malicious prosecution against ex hubby.

Tell kid to get a job and get out. Now.

Tell wifey to pack stuff cuz we're moving. Then sell house & move. If wifey don't like the idea, tell wifey to pack stuff cuz SHE'S moving.

Live happily ever after.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    It sounds like a case of the cops feeling they had to do something, which turned out to be arresting you. I don't think the arrest will have much impact, it's a conviction that gets the real attention. People get arrested improperly all the time and the DA drops the charges later.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Thanks guys for all the helpful replies thus far I've tried in vain to get my wife to accept the facts for what they are,but shes in denial over the seriousness of this kid's plight and thats that hes has a SERIOUS drug/alcohol abuse problem. The kid has asked to be emancipated but she won't hear of it. I've done my best to be a good husband and stepfather I've made mistakes I'm not perfect but I'm human and I'm a good person.

I feel shes is doing this kid a real disservice by denying his problems and I feel that a drug rehab program is the best thing for him right now. All this has a taken a tremendous toll both emotionally and financially on our marriage. I have to trust that my faith in our lord will carry me through this.
    Snub nose revolvers,the original concealed carry guns.

I'm glad to hear that justice finally prevailed.
    Martial Blade Concepts, Jiu-Jitsu & Eskrima NRA, GOA, NYSRPA, LIF, Old Bethpage Rifle & Pistol Club

Distinguished Member Array BlueNinjaGo's Avatar
    Well that's a horrible story, but it could have been worse. When dealing with a woman and her child, you can throw all logic out the window. Even for a father it's hard, but from my observations it's a bit easier for a father (or father figure) to see what's best for the child, even if it's hard to admit.

As for the "drug" issue, what kind of drugs are you talking about? What kind of proof do you have?

General advice for any parent: If you have think your child is experimenting/abusing/using, do a few things. When they are not home, go through their room. Look any place they can hide something. If you see something that you THINK might be drug-related, take pictures of it, but replace it. You don't want your teenager to know what you're up to. Either ask someone or look it up online to see if it's drug related. Heck, PM me and I'll try to help. Next would be to get them tested. They sell "test at home" tests at the pharmacy, but if you make them take it, the cat is out of the bag. You can take them to the doctor for "routine tests". Have them draw blood and test it.

I'd go with the second option in case something like what happened to the OP goes down, you have documented proof the child is using. Kids lie to get their parents (biological or by law) in trouble. Plus if you have proof, it's harder to deny and treatment is much easier to assess.

Can't you have him admitted to rehab or something? Or call the Police on him if he keeps drugs in the house or you know where he gets high.
    Exodus 22:2 "If a thief is caught breaking in and is struck so that he dies, the defender is not guilty of bloodshed"

Quote Originally Posted by BlueNinjaGo View Post
    You can take them to the doctor for "routine tests". Have them draw blood and test it.
    My Dad tried that on me. (But I wasn't on drugs). I got to the doctor and he told me what was going on. Said he wasn't allowed to test me without my knowledge.
    Exodus 22:2 "If a thief is caught breaking in and is struck so that he dies, the defender is not guilty of bloodshed"

Quote Originally Posted by fastk9dad View Post
    I have no advice but I wish you all the best though this tough situation.
    +1

Reminds me of my uncle. He got involved with drugs and caused my grandparents endless grief.
    Ron Paul 2012

There are three kinds of Yankees: Yankees, Damn Yankees, and Floridians

Distinguished Member Array BlueNinjaGo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dsee11789 View Post
    My Dad tried that on me. (But I wasn't on drugs). I got to the doctor and he told me what was going on. Said he wasn't allowed to test me without my knowledge.
    Really? Would it be a state law that said that? I would think as long as the child is a minor the parent's say would be all that matters. I mean, what age does the child have to know and/or consent?

BlueninjaGo I have proof my stepson was "baker acted" which here in Florida means that is anyone appears to be a danger to themselves or others they can be legally held for psychiatric evaluation for 72 hours. This has been done to my stepson about 6 times now,hes become violent and has attacked my wife with everything from a butcher knife to broken window glass.

While he was being evaluated they did blood work on him and he had cocaine,marijuana,pcp,xanex and a few other things in his system more than once. I've implored my wife to commit him before he harms himself or someone else. I've removed myself from the situation until this is taken care of I refuse to live in that situation any longer.
    Snub nose revolvers,the original concealed carry guns.

Hand her $100 or whatever it takes to go do some shopping, and take her son. Then change the locks on all the doors while she's gone.

I used to get in debates with my "EX" related to discipline of the kids. She didn't believe in ANY at ALL. My 'kids' are now in their 30's, want to know who they said they had the most respect for ? It wasn't mom and they tell her now what an idiot they thought she was.

Distinguished Member Array nutz4utwo's Avatar
    1911luver, glad the charges were dropped and you can get on with your life. Sorry about the mess.

For your benefit and others reading, I highly recommend keeping all firearms under lock and key unless they are in your direct control (holstered on your body). This includes people who don't have kids or strangers in their house... there are too many situations in life where an unsecured firearm will cause trouble.

Best of luck.
    "a reminder that no law can replace personal responsibility" - Bill Clinton 2010.

Quote Originally Posted by 1911luver View Post
    BlueninjaGo I have proof my stepson was "baker acted" which here in Florida means that is anyone appears to be a danger to themselves or others they can be legally held for psychiatric evaluation for 72 hours. This has been done to my stepson about 6 times now,hes become violent and has attacked my wife with everything from a butcher knife to broken window glass.

While he was being evaluated they did blood work on him and he had cocaine,marijuana,pcp,xanex and a few other things in his system more than once. I've implored my wife to commit him before he harms himself or someone else. I've removed myself from the situation until this is taken care of I refuse to live in that situation any longer.
    Wow!!! The kid has all of that ^^ documented and they still believed him over you and your wife? Well, people held for psychiatric evaluation 6 times who attack thier mother with butcher knives and have coke/pot/angel dust/xanax/etc. in their systems NEVER lie....

You're dealing with some bad stuff.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Quote Originally Posted by 1911luver View Post
    Thanks guys for all the helpful replies thus far I've tried in vain to get my wife to accept the facts for what they are,but shes in denial over the seriousness of this kid's plight and thats that hes has a SERIOUS drug/alcohol abuse problem. The kid has asked to be emancipated but she won't hear of it. I've done my best to be a good husband and stepfather I've made mistakes I'm not perfect but I'm human and I'm a good person.

I feel shes is doing this kid a real disservice by denying his problems and I feel that a drug rehab program is the best thing for him right now. All this has a taken a tremendous toll both emotionally and financially on our marriage. I have to trust that my faith in our lord will carry me through this.
    It appears your wife won't face the facts and is in fact an enabler for her son.

Given this my advise would be to get a divorce now and protective orders against her exhusband and her son.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links