Starbucks Allows Open Carry, Brady Campaign Whines

This is a discussion on Starbucks Allows Open Carry, Brady Campaign Whines within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Starbucks is doing the responsible thing here. Leave the laws to the states and federal government, and live within them. Don't try to regulate your ...

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Starbucks Allows Open Carry, Brady Campaign Whines

Starbucks is doing the responsible thing here. Leave the laws to the states and federal government, and live within them. Don't try to regulate your customers with your own political agendas.

Starbucks has won back my business. I've e-mailed their Customer Care department applauding their decision.

The Brady Campaign doesn't understand why people would want to exercise their rights? How the hell does that make sense?
    "Bravery is the capacity to perform properly even when scared half to death." -- General Omar Bradley

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by Spec View Post
    oh didn't you know.... coffee makes people do crazy things....
    I can do crazy things without the benefit of coffee.

I do know that too much coffee gives me the shakes, and that screws up my aim. Does that count?

i refused to drink their coffee out of principle, because it will never be as good as the coffee i make at home (Puerto Rican espresso), and i can't justify spending $100 on a cup of their craptastic, Amazonian triple roast, lactose free, moch java latte, soy-infused dirty hippie coffee subsitute.

however, i don't think that buying a cup of their crap every once to in awhile to show my appreciation is gonna kill me.

So it's not about OC, it's about guns. Well of course it's the Brady's. But all the outcry about OC and then this statement. Hmm, just using OC to get the usually miss information out. My local Starbucks is in a Barnes and Noble, never had a problem OC'ing there.

“It’s everyone's right to sit in a restaurant or coffee shop with their families without intimidation or fear of guns,” he says, “either concealed or openly carried.”

Never been in a Starbucks. Always thought they were full of foul smelling longhairs wearing Birkenstocks. Guess I was wrong. I'll have to start patronizing them.

Quote Originally Posted by Pro2A View Post
    When I don't get mine in the morning it does...
    I agree with ya, lack of coffee is what drives me nuts! So starbucks is doing the community a service!
    "Firearms stand next in importance to the Constitution itself. They are the people's liberty teeth keystone... more than 99% of them by their silence indicate that they are in safe and sane hands. The very atmosphere of firearms everywhere restrains evil interference."
    - GEORGE WASHINGTON

Helmke’s e-mail diatribe further complains that, “The practice of packing heat in places like Starbucks is intimidating ...
    Free choice is a real bummer, sometimes. One can choose to fear or be intimidated by almost anything, it seems. But let's be clear: that a person feels intimidation or fear does NOT necessarily mean that another person is engaging in acts of intimidation or seeking to instill fear in anyone.

To upstanding people who choose to be able to defend themselves against crime, carrying a firearm is of little more consequence in the morning than selecting brown socks instead of black, or selecting the jacket and gloves instead of a parka. It is hardly a threatening act, and NO upstanding people are thereby threatened.

... and could be potentially dangerous to our families and communities -- and it must be stopped.
    Criminals are the only ones that are dangerous, and they are dangerous to us all. Upstanding people, however, are not. Upstanding people who simply choose to avoid a Luby's Cafe massacre, themselves, are NOT seeking to intimidate or instill fear in anyone. They are merely seeking to be left alone, NOT preyed upon, NOT criminalized, NOT victimized.

In our society, not a single person, agency or institution is tasked with the personal, private protective service of any given person. At least, for the unwashed. As such, the average person has only himself to rely upon. Which is one of the important reasons why the Second Amendment of the Constitution exists, to ensure that upstanding people have the ability to defend themselves against predation.

No amount of fear-mongering by such groups as the Brady bunch will ever change that right.

“It’s everyone's right to sit in a restaurant or coffee shop with their families without intimidation or fear of guns,” he says ...
    No, it's not a "right." Not a right, by any stretch. It's surely desirable, for everyone.

But here's the thing. Criminals exist amongst us. They sit at tables in those same restaurants we all go to. They blow a gasket whenever they choose, taking advantage of the weak, meek and incapable whenever they choose. Armed upstanding people, however, seek to change this dynamic, refusing to be merely bitchy, braying sheep with zero ability to defend themselves.

However, the bearing of arms most certainly is a right, in the USA. No upstanding person intimidates or imposes fear on others. How the fearful choose to see the world is something else entirely, and it has nothing to do with the benign and non-threatening actions of upstanding citizens.

The only material difference between such groups is in the choice to be able to defend against crime. One group desires to have options. The other group chooses a life of fear, of putting the head in the sand, of having no options when the chips are down. That's fine, for them, but that does NOT give them the right to deny the rights of others to defend themselves against crime. Not in this country, it does not.

Starbucks is doing the responsible thing here. Leave the laws to the states and federal government, and live within them. Don't try to regulate your customers with your own political agendas
    Exactly.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

I think that each and every one of us who has a starbucks near them needs to go in their store and buy a coffee or pastry and tell the manager what a great thing they are doing and that we and our friends will frequent their store more often. If every store has this happening it will definately become the talk of their meetings and then district meetings. Eventually when businesses see what a boost it gave the compnay others will catch on.
    Exodus 22:2 "If a thief is caught breaking in and is struck so that he dies, the defender is not guilty of bloodshed"

Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    No, it's not a "right." Not a right, by any stretch. It's surely desirable, for everyone.

However, the bearing of arms most certainly is a right, in the USA. No upstanding person intimidates or imposes fear on others. How the fearful choose to see the world is something else entirely, and it has nothing to do with the benign and non-threatening actions of upstanding citizens.
    Exactly. People love to say they have a "right" to this or that... when that isn't written anywhere. I have a written right to bear arms. I have a written right to demonstrate my beliefs peacefully. I have a written right to speak my mind about my beliefs.

"The others" do not have a written right to feel anything. "I don't feel safe around people carrying guns." Well, my written rights trump your feelings. Sorry about your luck.
    "Bravery is the capacity to perform properly even when scared half to death." -- General Omar Bradley

Distinguished Member Array Agave's Avatar
    I open carried to Starbucks absolutely expecting to get thrown out. I was pleasantly surprised. I figured it was just because the shop is in West Tennessee.
    The preceding post may contain sarcasm; it's just better that way. However, it is still intended with construction and with the Love of my L-rd Y'shua.

NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, Tennessee Certified Instructor

Ohh great...I have a starbucks 5 minutes from my house..I have been there maybe twice in 5 yrs...I guess I will go in and support them ...but most importantly let them know why!! BTW I CC but any support is great
    Led By Love Of Country

Quote Originally Posted by dsee11789 View Post
    I think that each and every one of us who has a starbucks near them needs to go in their store and buy a coffee or pastry and tell the manager what a great thing they are doing and that we and our friends will frequent their store more often. If every store has this happening it will definately become the talk of their meetings and then district meetings. Eventually when businesses see what a boost it gave the compnay others will catch on.
    Agreed, and I was thinking to do just that on my next trip into town.
    I pretty much avoid Starbucks for it being rip-off priced but since they are offering this sort of support then heck I will stop in at both local spots to do just what you propose.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

It is kind of funny. Of all places you'd think Starbucks would be on the anti-gun bandwagon.
    Exodus 22:2 "If a thief is caught breaking in and is struck so that he dies, the defender is not guilty of bloodshed"

Quote Originally Posted by dsee11789 View Post
    i think that each and every one of us who has a starbucks near them needs to go in their store and buy a coffee or pastry and tell the manager what a great thing they are doing and that we and our friends will frequent their store more often. If every store has this happening it will definately become the talk of their meetings and then district meetings. Eventually when businesses see what a boost it gave the compnay others will catch on.
    i agree! +1000

Distinguished Member Array BigStick's Avatar
    So, did Starbucks actually change their policy or do anything? It's great that they are "supporting" gun owners, but the article doesn't say they have changed anything, just that the Brady leaders brought light to their policy of compliance with state laws. I think their media campaign to beat Starbucks into submission and scare people away might actually have the opposite effect of driving gun owners into Starbucks, for no other reason than because they brought the subject up. I love it Once again the Bradys show their ignorance and prejudices, and how out of touch they are with America.
    Walk softly ...

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Links