Salt Lake Tribune editorial's take on "brandishing for self-defense"

This is a discussion on Salt Lake Tribune editorial's take on "brandishing for self-defense" within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; 'I've got a gun' Showing a weapon in self-defense Tribune Editorial 02/02/2010 Salt Lake Tribune often editorializes against gun rights, as it have in the ...

Thread: Salt Lake Tribune editorial's take on "brandishing for self-defense"

'I've got a gun'

Showing a weapon in self-defense

Tribune Editorial
    02/02/2010
    Salt Lake Tribune often editorializes against gun rights, as it have in the past. This editorial is no exception -- more of the same in hysteria and paranoia.

As for amending the law, I'm for it, however every permit carrier should be discretionary in reacting to situation in proper manner and attitude if the law is amended to allow brandishing for purpose of self-defense to deter threat.

IMO, the laws that allow the use of a firearm in self-defense (which is every state, so far as I know) also cover making it visible. The standard is the same: that you have a legitimate and reasonable belief that you are about to lose your life or suffer crippling injury if you don't take drastic measures now. If you do draw but fail to fire it, you're highly unlikely to be convicted of "brandishing" or "menacing" if indeed your fear was justified as reasonable and legitimate.

One need not actually fire the gun, and it often turns out that merely drawing the gun is sufficient to inform the criminal attacker that the teat's gone dry in terms of the potential victim's willingness to be threatened with death. BTDT once, myself, actually, in which drawing and displaying the gun (at low ready) was all that was needed, at which point the two attackers thought better of their grand stupidity, disappearing into the dark.

It wasn't illegal then, in Calif (when I was forced to defend myself against two attackers). It's not illegal in Oregon. The way the law is written in Utah's statutes, I don't think it's currently illegal either.

So, why the proposed statute tweak?
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

In SC the laws (and i am prity certain in many other sates it is similar) says that you can use deadly force only if a reasonable person would fear for his life (and throw in a couple specifics and legal terms). Now adding a provision to allow one to harmlessly and defensively brandish allows you to draw on the 2 thugs that are not showing weapons but are still coming at you when you told them multiple times to stop. under current laws you might win but if you were allowed to brandish under the law then you would not have a big lawyer fee for doing that. It pushes the grey area a little farther out so that one can reasonably make a decision to protect oneself without also gooing through legal ramifications at the same time.

Distinguished Member Array tangoseal's Avatar
    I havent read any of the above however .... I believe that brandishing a weapon is a good thing.

I dont want to shoot anyone. If I had a chance to show force with out using it then I have just avoided tons of legal battle and financial loss and maybe jail time because I pulled the trigger. So if showing a gun will stop a crime before it is committed then that is all the matters to me. If I have to shoot then I have to shoot.
    "I believe that the right of the citizen to keep and bear arms must not be infringed if liberty in America is to survive." - Ronald Reagan

As I said before just the sight of a gun will put a stop to a problem without having to kill someone. I see it as about the same as open carry. How do you feel about it. There was a situation in our neighbor hood about a year ago when a group of thugs passing through or neighbor hood jumped one of our teens and all five of them were beating on him. One of the neighbors came out of the house and fired a shot gun into the air which stopped the beating. he then held them at gunpoint until the cops showed up.10 minutes later. the teenager was beat up pretty bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom G View Post
    As I said before just the sight of a gun will put a stop to a problem without having to kill someone.
    Might. It might, indeed. Just as a shotgun brought out by a "good sam" neighbor, or an openly holstered firearm, either can change the mix which the aggressor(s) believed existed. And, in justifiable circumstances if going all the way can be considered self-defense, it seems ludicrous that only going halfway wouldn't also be.

If the amendment truly helps make it less likely a person in justifiable circumstances will be criminalized, then I'm all for it.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Sponsored Links