Action needed -- Va Restaurant Ban Repeal

This is a discussion on Action needed -- Va Restaurant Ban Repeal within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; So this has passed both the House and Senate. On to the Governor for approval and into law. Please go to this poll and vote ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Action needed -- Va Restaurant Ban Repeal

So this has passed both the House and Senate. On to the Governor for approval and into law.

Please go to this poll and vote Yes, show DC how we feel!

Virginia Politics Blog - Va. Senate votes to allow guns in restaurants

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MeatPuppet View Post
    So this has passed both the House and Senate. On to the Governor for approval and into law.
    Not quite so fast/easy.

Different repeal bills have passed both bodies. No one bill has passed both, as "Crossover Day" is tomorrow.

For those not familiar with Va's legislative process, We have a 60-day mandated session on even numbered years. Wednesday is crossover day. All House bills that have passed the House will go to the Senate on that day, and Senators will hold committee hearings and consider House bills; while Senate bills that have passed go to the in the House and they will hold committee hearings and consider the Senate bills. After "Crossover Day" any bill that has not passed in the original body is dead for that mandated session.

BTW -- I think we will get one to the Governor for signature.

However, the politicians do play games. If you have been following the details, you will have seen some already. Another after-crossover game is to nitpick the other body's bill so nothing goes forward, but the "wobble" (I-support-2A-but) pols can claim to have voted for repeal.
    Last edited by DaveH; February 16th, 2010 at 09:35 PM. Reason: Added BTW
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

58% yes

42% no

DaveH: So what is the best way to go forward - should we contact our delegates and ask them to vote for the senate bill that passed?

BTW it looks like the Yes is at 72% and No is at 28% now and there's some good pro-2nd Amendment comments now.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by louie19 View Post
    DaveH: So what is the best way to go forward - should we contact our delegates and ask them to vote for the senate bill that passed?
    Now that the individual bodies can no longer consider their own bills, they will start afresh considering the bills that originated and passed in the other body. There will be another round of assignments to committees (and in some cases to subcommittees) hearings, and on those that clear the committee gauntlet full floor votes.

A general call to your Senator and Delegate now on your priority "issue"/"issues" at this point is a good idea.

As things unfold, I (or one of the other VCDL members on this Forum) will try to send timely updates, to generate calls & emails on individual bills.

Thanks for your support.

I get a kick out of the picture that the Anti's try to paint of the so-called "Gun Lobby", as somehow funded and driven by gun/ammunition manufactures and directed by the NRA.

You want to see the real picture of the "Gun Lobby" take a look at yourself in the mirror, this morning -- and better yet on the morning before you go to vote on election day.

VCDL is an all-volunteer, non-partisan grassroots organization driven and funded by its membership and dedicated to defending the human rights of all Virginians. We often march in a different direction than the NRA (see earlier post on last years "Freedom Rally" or check the history of the repeal of the NPS ban) and sometime pull them along behind us. We are truly grassroots and it is the action and support of folk like you (plural) that makes it work. Thank you all.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links