Action needed -- Va Restaurant Ban Repeal

This is a discussion on Action needed -- Va Restaurant Ban Repeal within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Lets get behind this. I pulled the following bill from an earlier thread so as not to have it buried with other bills, some of ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Action needed -- Va Restaurant Ban Repeal

VIP Member

Exclamation Action needed -- Va Restaurant Ban Repeal

Lets get behind this.

I pulled the following bill from an earlier thread so as not to have it buried with other bills, some of which are on different tracks or are dead.

If you are from Virginia, please join us in the email campaign.

The following is from a VA-ALERT.

VA-ALERT is a project of the Virginia Citizens Defense League, Inc.

[First person singular pronouns (I, my, mine, etc) reference Philip Van Cleave, President VCDL]

Restaurant Ban Repeal vote in House Militia, Police and Public
    Safety committee this morning - good news! Action Item.

This morning the full Militia, Police, and Public Safety committee
    voted 16 to 6 to report out HB 505, Delegate Gilbert's restaurant ban
    repeal bill!

The bill now heads to the House Floor for a vote in a few days.

The bill passed with substitute wording that allows current and
    retired police officers an exemption from the drinking prohibition.

I am not thrilled with that new wording because it creates two classes
    of people: current/retired police officers and Commonwealth Attorneys
    who can drink in a restaurant while carrying concealed and the rest of
    us who can't.

HOWEVER, that is something we can look at fixing next year.
    Strategically it is best to let the bill move forward as is and get
    the restaurant ban repealed.

The vote on the bill had two surprises:

Delegates Barlow and Shuler, both Democrats who had supported the
    repeal last year, voted "no" this morning!

And self-proclaimed "pro-gun" Delegates Paula Miller and Roslyn Tyler
    voted "no" also. Can you imagine what they would do if they were anti-
    gun?

A tale of two Delegates: the freshman Democratic Delegate from
    Portsmouth, Matthew James, voted against the repeal, while the
    freshman Democratic Delegate from Fairfax, Mark Keam, voted with gun
    owners in ending the ban. Keam has proven in several subcommittee
    votes to be thoughtful and open minded on gun issues.

Here are the Delegates that supported your rights this morning. If
    you live in their districts, be sure to thank them for their vote:

Sherwood, Griffith, Wright, Carrico, Lingamfelter, Nutter, Athey,
    Cline, Gilbert, Merricks, Cleaveland, Morefield, Edmunds, Cox, J.A.,
    Lewis, Keam

And those who did not support you. Let them know that you want their
    support when HB 505 gets to the Floor:

Jim Scott, Barlow, Shuler, Paula Miller, Tyler, James

-

ACTION ITEMS

First, let's all contact our Delegate and ask him or her to support
    the restaurant ban repeal, as it will soon be up for a vote on the
    Floor.

Click on the link below to send a prewritten (but editable) message to
    your Delegate:

VCDL's "Write Your Legislators" Tool

--

If you are a constituent of Delegate Barlow or Delegate Shuler, you
    should contact them to find out why they didn't support the restaurant
    ban repeal and encourage them to vote for HB 505 on the Floor.

Here is their contact information:

Delegate Barlow:
    Phone: 804-698-1064
    Email: delwbarlow@house.virginia.gov

Delegate Shuler:
    Phone: 804-698-1012
    Email: deljshuler@house.virginia.gov
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

2. Remove Ads

Mic
    Good luck
    Timid people sleep peacefully at night because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Molôn Labé!

Here is the amended form of the section. The substitute language added, today, is in italics.
    J3. No person who carries a concealed handgun onto the premises of any restaurant or club as defined in § 4.1-100 for which a license to sell and serve alcoholic beverages for on-premises consumption has been granted by the Virginia Alcoholic Beverage Control Board under Title 4.1 of the Code of Virginia may consume an alcoholic beverage while on the premises; however, nothing herein regarding the consumption of alcohol shall apply to a federal, state, or local law-enforcement officer or a retired law-enforcement officer who meets the definition of a "qualified retired law-enforcement officer" pursuant to 18 U.S.C. § 926C and is carrying the identification required by such statute.
    - Tom
    You have the power to donate life.

I'm sure the "honorable" folks at the Brady Campaign have never thought of this -- but, enter an address and zip code to a representative that is within their district and your message counts.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by StevePVB View Post
    I'm sure the "honorable" folks at the Brady Campaign have never thought of this -- but, enter an address and zip code to a representative that is within their district and your message counts.
    I hope you are just speculating that some folk on the other side might stoop to that.

VCDL has built a good reputation for courtesy, reliability, and fair play. I hope that you are not suggesting that anyone undermine that.

The Tracking tool at VCDL's 2010 Legislation Tracking Tool facilitates send to the committee. This is where out-of-State folk can email as a visitor.

FWIW -- VCDL has at the request of other State's Grassroots RKBA organization mounted email calls to express the effect of that State's law on our trips and the potential for accompanying spending in their State, etc.

Please don't misrepresent yourself.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

I use the Write your Legislators tool for the first time today. My delegate is anti-gun but I figured that he should know that there are people in his district who care that this bill passes.

This bill will really make my life easier and I think safer if it succeeds, along with many many others in Virginia. Similar bills have passed in the past few years only to be vetoed by the Governor. So I will be praying that it passes.

I'm getting an appointment with my Delegate to demonstrate not being able to go into the restaurant with my suit coat worn normally, versus being able to eat (and drink alcohol, though I won't point that out) if I tuck my suit coat behind my gun.

Hopefully, that will demonstrate just how ridiculous it is to ban CHP holders who are carrying.
    - Tom
    You have the power to donate life.

The Senate companion bill was reported out of its committee, notably with the support of Creigh Deeds. Glad to see he is still supporting gun owners.

The rollcall of the vote to send SB334 to the whole VA Senate: LIS > Bill Tracking > > 2010 session

Track SB334 at LIS > Bill Tracking > SB334 > 2010 session

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by louie19 View Post
    The Senate companion bill was reported out of its committee, notably with the support of Creigh Deeds. Glad to see he is still supporting gun owners.

The rollcall of the vote to send SB334 to the whole VA Senate: LIS > Bill Tracking > > 2010 session

Track SB334 at LIS > Bill Tracking > SB334 > 2010 session

More from a VA-ALERT.

The pro-gun bills now head to the Senate Floor for a vote by the entire Senate early next week, probably Monday.

ACTION ITEM:

Thursday or Friday, if you haven't already done so, call YOUR Senator and ask him or her to support SB 334, Senator Hanger's restaurant ban repeal. The Senators' phone numbers can be found by clicking here:

Senate of Virginia - Telephone List
    Μολὼν λαβέ

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

Help us show the sheep that there is a majority in favor of restaurant carry.

Vote here:

Should it be legal for people with gun permits to carry concealed weapons into restaurants that sell alcohol? | HamptonRoads.com | PilotOnline.com

Here is what we are dealing with in the Commonwealth:

A modest proposal: Guns in every bar

The Virginian-Pilot
    © February 10, 2010

A Senate committee is expected to hear a bill today that would allow people with concealed weapons permits to carry their guns into Virginia's bars. If lawmakers pass the legislation, Gov. Bob McDonnell, who has supported the measure, is likely to sign it.

Restaurateurs and others are outraged by the possibility, noting security issues. Some also worry because the bill contains no provisions for keeping out gun-carrying customers and is a threat to property rights. But they may be missing the benefits and opportunities such legislation presents.

To begin with, the proposed law would allow 214,000 Virginians to carry hidden weapons into any establishment that has an ABC license:
    pizza parlors, bowling alleys, sports bars, nightclubs, country clubs, fine restaurants.

In case anyone is worried about the volatile mix of alcohol and firearms, naysayers should know that the Senate bill requires gun toters to abstain and threatens them with - shudder! - misdemeanors if they don't.

Such a law would undoubtedly be good for tourism in the Old Dominion. Forget "Virginia is for Lovers." Forget eco-tourism. Virginia could make a name for itself in the emerging market for armed tourism: Virginia is for self-defense.

Twenty-three states, including North Carolina, expressly prohibit loaded guns in bars. Virginia, already known as the armory to countless East Coast cities, could cement its reputation as a gun-friendly state, welcoming to all and anyone frustrated by laws
    back home.

Think of the conventions we could attract! Nashville's visitors bureau bemoaned the loss of business when Tennessee passed this law last year. Virginia should look on the bright side. The commonwealth could market itself as the Wild West of the East, with Attorney General Ken Cuccinelli keeping order as Marshal Matt Dillon in a dark business suit.

The possibilities for creating jobs and stimulating the economy are endless. Nightclubs worried about enforcing the law will be looking to hire more security officers, just in case. Instead of offering coats and ties for under-dressed men to borrow, swank restaurants could offer bulletproof vests. Serving shots would take on a new meaning.
    Get in a fight over a girl or guy? Call in your armed wingman.

When then-Gov. Tim Kaine vetoed the measure last year, he warned that allowing it to become law would put the public, employees and public safety officers at risk. Restaurateurs argue that they will have no way of knowing whether to serve an alcoholic beverage to a customer because they won't know who has a weapon.

Here's a hint: Given the law, it'll be the one drinking club soda.
    That might put a dent in a restaurant's receipts, but it'll do the same for Virginia's drunken-driving rate. See how that works? With the
    right marketing, even good sense's loss can be Virginia's gain.

VIP Member
    Vote has moved from about equal to about 3:1
    Μολὼν λαβέ

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

VIP Member

Thumbs up Passed the House by 67 to 27

More from a VA-ALERT.

[First person singular pronouns (I, my, mine, etc) reference Philip Van Cleave, President VCDL]

YES! HB 505, Delegate Gilbert's restaurant ban repeal bill, has just
    passed the House by 67 to 27 and now heads to the Senate!! The Senate
    version (SB 344 - Senator Hanger) will be voted on early next week.

Keep your fingers crossed!
    Μολὼν λαβέ

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

VIP Member

Thumbs up Good -- Restaurant ban repeal passed in Senate

Good news from a VA-ALERT.

FLASH: The vote was 22 to 18!! No further details yet.

NOTE: There could still be a chance of mischief - I will confirm once
    the Senate has recessed to make sure the bill can't be reconsidered
    for a new vote.

Also the guns in locked compartments and containers passed 24 to 16!

Assuming no mischief, the bills will then head to the House.

The House will be voting on a bunch of gun bills today, so expect
    another alert later today.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

FYI - Washington Post has an article on it - apparently they didn't realize you could do the "Virginia Tuck" / open carry into restaurants.

Even more important, we should all vote in their poll:
    Do you agree with the Virginia Senate's decision to allow guns in restaurants?

Right now it is 20% Yes and 80% No.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by louie19 View Post
    FYI - Washington Post has an article on it - apparently they didn't realize you could do the "Virginia Tuck" / open carry into restaurants.

Even more important, we should all vote in their poll:
    Do you agree with the Virginia Senate's decision to allow guns in restaurants?

Right now it is 20% Yes and 80% No.
    21 v. 78 now

As of 8pm: 47% against v. 52% for and climbing!
    Last edited by DaveH; February 16th, 2010 at 08:03 PM. Reason: update numbers
    Μολὼν λαβέ

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links