Defensive Carry banner

Action needed -- Va Restaurant Ban Repeal

2K views 19 replies 7 participants last post by  DaveH 
#1 ·
Lets get behind this.

I pulled the following bill from an earlier thread so as not to have it buried with other bills, some of which are on different tracks or are dead.

If you are from Virginia, please join us in the email campaign.

The following is from a VA-ALERT.

VA-ALERT is a project of the Virginia Citizens Defense League, Inc.

[First person singular pronouns (I, my, mine, etc) reference Philip Van Cleave, President VCDL]

Restaurant Ban Repeal vote in House Militia, Police and Public
Safety committee this morning - good news! Action Item.

This morning the full Militia, Police, and Public Safety committee
voted 16 to 6 to report out HB 505, Delegate Gilbert's restaurant ban
repeal bill!

The bill now heads to the House Floor for a vote in a few days.

The bill passed with substitute wording that allows current and
retired police officers an exemption from the drinking prohibition.

I am not thrilled with that new wording because it creates two classes
of people: current/retired police officers and Commonwealth Attorneys
who can drink in a restaurant while carrying concealed and the rest of
us who can't.

HOWEVER, that is something we can look at fixing next year.
Strategically it is best to let the bill move forward as is and get
the restaurant ban repealed.

The vote on the bill had two surprises:

Delegates Barlow and Shuler, both Democrats who had supported the
repeal last year, voted "no" this morning!

And self-proclaimed "pro-gun" Delegates Paula Miller and Roslyn Tyler
voted "no" also. Can you imagine what they would do if they were anti-
gun?

A tale of two Delegates: the freshman Democratic Delegate from
Portsmouth, Matthew James, voted against the repeal, while the
freshman Democratic Delegate from Fairfax, Mark Keam, voted with gun
owners in ending the ban. Keam has proven in several subcommittee
votes to be thoughtful and open minded on gun issues.

Here are the Delegates that supported your rights this morning. If
you live in their districts, be sure to thank them for their vote:

Sherwood, Griffith, Wright, Carrico, Lingamfelter, Nutter, Athey,
Cline, Gilbert, Merricks, Cleaveland, Morefield, Edmunds, Cox, J.A.,
Lewis, Keam

And those who did not support you. Let them know that you want their
support when HB 505 gets to the Floor:

Jim Scott, Barlow, Shuler, Paula Miller, Tyler, James

-

ACTION ITEMS

First, let's all contact our Delegate and ask him or her to support
the restaurant ban repeal, as it will soon be up for a vote on the
Floor.

Click on the link below to send a prewritten (but editable) message to
your Delegate:

VCDL's "Write Your Legislators" Tool

--

If you are a constituent of Delegate Barlow or Delegate Shuler, you
should contact them to find out why they didn't support the restaurant
ban repeal and encourage them to vote for HB 505 on the Floor.

Here is their contact information:

Delegate Barlow:
Phone: 804-698-1064
Email: delwbarlow@house.virginia.gov

Delegate Shuler:
Phone: 804-698-1012
Email: deljshuler@house.virginia.gov

#3 ·
Here is the amended form of the section. The substitute language added, today, is in italics.
J3. No person who carries a concealed handgun onto the premises of any restaurant or club as defined in § 4.1-100 for which a license to sell and serve alcoholic beverages for on-premises consumption has been granted by the Virginia Alcoholic Beverage Control Board under Title 4.1 of the Code of Virginia may consume an alcoholic beverage while on the premises; however, nothing herein regarding the consumption of alcohol shall apply to a federal, state, or local law-enforcement officer or a retired law-enforcement officer who meets the definition of a "qualified retired law-enforcement officer" pursuant to 18 U.S.C. § 926C and is carrying the identification required by such statute.

#5 ·
I hope you are just speculating that some folk on the other side might stoop to that.

VCDL has built a good reputation for courtesy, reliability, and fair play. I hope that you are not suggesting that anyone undermine that.

The Tracking tool at VCDL's 2010 Legislation Tracking Tool facilitates send to the committee. This is where out-of-State folk can email as a visitor.

FWIW -- VCDL has at the request of other State's Grassroots RKBA organization mounted email calls to express the effect of that State's law on our trips and the potential for accompanying spending in their State, etc.

Please don't misrepresent yourself.

#6 ·
I use the Write your Legislators tool for the first time today. My delegate is anti-gun but I figured that he should know that there are people in his district who care that this bill passes.

This bill will really make my life easier and I think safer if it succeeds, along with many many others in Virginia. Similar bills have passed in the past few years only to be vetoed by the Governor. So I will be praying that it passes.

#7 ·
I'm getting an appointment with my Delegate to demonstrate not being able to go into the restaurant with my suit coat worn normally, versus being able to eat (and drink alcohol, though I won't point that out) if I tuck my suit coat behind my gun. :rolleyes:

Hopefully, that will demonstrate just how ridiculous it is to ban CHP holders who are carrying.

#9 ·
:yup:

:congrats:

More from a VA-ALERT.

The pro-gun bills now head to the Senate Floor for a vote by the entire Senate early next week, probably Monday.

ACTION ITEM:

Thursday or Friday, if you haven't already done so, call YOUR Senator and ask him or her to support SB 334, Senator Hanger's restaurant ban repeal. The Senators' phone numbers can be found by clicking here:

Senate of Virginia - Telephone List

#10 ·
Help us show the sheep that there is a majority in favor of restaurant carry.

Vote here:

Should it be legal for people with gun permits to carry concealed weapons into restaurants that sell alcohol? | HamptonRoads.com | PilotOnline.com

Here is what we are dealing with in the Commonwealth:

A modest proposal: Guns in every bar

The Virginian-Pilot
© February 10, 2010

A Senate committee is expected to hear a bill today that would allow people with concealed weapons permits to carry their guns into Virginia's bars. If lawmakers pass the legislation, Gov. Bob McDonnell, who has supported the measure, is likely to sign it.

Restaurateurs and others are outraged by the possibility, noting security issues. Some also worry because the bill contains no provisions for keeping out gun-carrying customers and is a threat to property rights. But they may be missing the benefits and opportunities such legislation presents.

To begin with, the proposed law would allow 214,000 Virginians to carry hidden weapons into any establishment that has an ABC license:
pizza parlors, bowling alleys, sports bars, nightclubs, country clubs, fine restaurants.

In case anyone is worried about the volatile mix of alcohol and firearms, naysayers should know that the Senate bill requires gun toters to abstain and threatens them with - shudder! - misdemeanors if they don't.

Such a law would undoubtedly be good for tourism in the Old Dominion. Forget "Virginia is for Lovers." Forget eco-tourism. Virginia could make a name for itself in the emerging market for armed tourism: Virginia is for self-defense.

Twenty-three states, including North Carolina, expressly prohibit loaded guns in bars. Virginia, already known as the armory to countless East Coast cities, could cement its reputation as a gun-friendly state, welcoming to all and anyone frustrated by laws
back home.

Think of the conventions we could attract! Nashville's visitors bureau bemoaned the loss of business when Tennessee passed this law last year. Virginia should look on the bright side. The commonwealth could market itself as the Wild West of the East, with Attorney General Ken Cuccinelli keeping order as Marshal Matt Dillon in a dark business suit.

The possibilities for creating jobs and stimulating the economy are endless. Nightclubs worried about enforcing the law will be looking to hire more security officers, just in case. Instead of offering coats and ties for under-dressed men to borrow, swank restaurants could offer bulletproof vests. Serving shots would take on a new meaning.
Get in a fight over a girl or guy? Call in your armed wingman.

When then-Gov. Tim Kaine vetoed the measure last year, he warned that allowing it to become law would put the public, employees and public safety officers at risk. Restaurateurs argue that they will have no way of knowing whether to serve an alcoholic beverage to a customer because they won't know who has a weapon.

Here's a hint: Given the law, it'll be the one drinking club soda.
That might put a dent in a restaurant's receipts, but it'll do the same for Virginia's drunken-driving rate. See how that works? With the
right marketing, even good sense's loss can be Virginia's gain.

#11 ·
Vote has moved from about equal to about 3:1

#12 ·
Passed the House by 67 to 27

More from a VA-ALERT.

[First person singular pronouns (I, my, mine, etc) reference Philip Van Cleave, President VCDL]

YES! HB 505, Delegate Gilbert's restaurant ban repeal bill, has just
passed the House by 67 to 27 and now heads to the Senate!! The Senate
version (SB 344 - Senator Hanger) will be voted on early next week.

Keep your fingers crossed!

#13 ·
Good -- Restaurant ban repeal passed in Senate

Good news from a VA-ALERT.

FLASH: The vote was 22 to 18!! No further details yet.

NOTE: There could still be a chance of mischief - I will confirm once
the Senate has recessed to make sure the bill can't be reconsidered
for a new vote.

Also the guns in locked compartments and containers passed 24 to 16!

Assuming no mischief, the bills will then head to the House.

The House will be voting on a bunch of gun bills today, so expect
another alert later today.
:congrats::congrats::congrats::congrats::congrats:

#15 · (Edited)
21 v. 78 now

As of 8pm: 47% against v. 52% for and climbing!

#17 · (Edited)
So this has passed both the House and Senate. On to the Governor for approval and into law.
Not quite so fast/easy.

Different repeal bills have passed both bodies. No one bill has passed both, as "Crossover Day" is tomorrow.

For those not familiar with Va's legislative process, We have a 60-day mandated session on even numbered years. Wednesday is crossover day. All House bills that have passed the House will go to the Senate on that day, and Senators will hold committee hearings and consider House bills; while Senate bills that have passed go to the in the House and they will hold committee hearings and consider the Senate bills. After "Crossover Day" any bill that has not passed in the original body is dead for that mandated session.

BTW -- I think we will get one to the Governor for signature.

However, the politicians do play games. If you have been following the details, you will have seen some already. Another after-crossover game is to nitpick the other body's bill so nothing goes forward, but the "wobble" (I-support-2A-but) pols can claim to have voted for repeal. :aargh4:

#20 ·
DaveH: So what is the best way to go forward - should we contact our delegates and ask them to vote for the senate bill that passed?
Now that the individual bodies can no longer consider their own bills, they will start afresh considering the bills that originated and passed in the other body. There will be another round of assignments to committees (and in some cases to subcommittees) hearings, and on those that clear the committee gauntlet full floor votes.

A general call to your Senator and Delegate now on your priority "issue"/"issues" at this point is a good idea.

As things unfold, I (or one of the other VCDL members on this Forum) will try to send timely updates, to generate calls & emails on individual bills.

Thanks for your support. :congrats:

I get a kick out of the picture that the Anti's try to paint of the so-called "Gun Lobby", as somehow funded and driven by gun/ammunition manufactures and directed by the NRA.

You want to see the real picture of the "Gun Lobby" take a look at yourself in the mirror, this morning -- and better yet on the morning before you go to vote on election day.

VCDL is an all-volunteer, non-partisan grassroots organization driven and funded by its membership and dedicated to defending the human rights of all Virginians. We often march in a different direction than the NRA (see earlier post on last years "Freedom Rally" or check the history of the repeal of the NPS ban) and sometime pull them along behind us. We are truly grassroots and it is the action and support of folk like you (plural) that makes it work. Thank you all. :congrats:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.