Rather straight-forward coverage of NPS Carry (Merged) - Page 2

Rather straight-forward coverage of NPS Carry (Merged)

This is a discussion on Rather straight-forward coverage of NPS Carry (Merged) within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; It's a front page item at ABCNews.com: Guns in National Parks: Firearms Now Allowed in Yellowstone, Yosemite, and 370 Other Parks - ABC News - ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Rather straight-forward coverage of NPS Carry (Merged)

"Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Wow, I can finally protect myself in a national park should the need arise....

I wonder why that took so long? And whoever proposed the bill for the president to sign, thank you!

The only thing obama has done that i agree with..
    You may not like guns. You may choose not to own one. That is your right.
    You might not believe in God. That is your choice.
    However, if someone breaks into your home at 3AM the first two things you are going to do are:
    1) Call someone with a gun.
    2)Pray they get there in time." - A wise man

VIP Member
    [QUOTE=PistologyWhat the law says:

So can I carry in an outhouse that a federal employee regularly cleans?[/QUOTE]

Techinally no. It is still considered a building on federal property.

In many states, concealed carry into a rest stop is an exception by state law but open carry is usually not allowed.
    If you understand, things are just as they are... If you do not understand, things are just as they are....
    - Zen Saying

Quote Originally Posted by SIGP250 View Post
    Techinally no. It is still considered a building on federal property.

In many states, concealed carry into a rest stop is an exception by state law but open carry is usually not allowed.
    Wouldn't it have to be posted then? I was under the impression of Federal Buildings that are "normally occupied" by federal workers.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Phantoms View Post
    Wouldn't it have to be posted then? I was under the impression of Federal Buildings that are "normally occupied" by federal workers.
    I am sure there will be litigation, additional rule-making, and maybe new legislation.

Again take a look at The National Park Service self defense ban repeal effort time line for interesting background on this struggle for our rights.

My guess is that the rule-makers and Anti-RKBA judges handpicked for test cases by the Brady bunch and Bloomberg and his billions will continue to nip around the edges. If so, maybe we'll need to get another amendment to one of the "must-sign" bills.

BTW speaking of Bloomberg maybe the real reason he wants the $5 billion [yes with a "B"] from Quadrangle Group is to fight the progress RKBA-candidates/incumbents are making and the opportunities the upcoming open seats and creating -- not just to duck the criminal probe lead by Attorney General Andrew Cuomo.

Bloomberg Pulls Personal Investment Out of Quadrangle
    by Bob Hennelly

NEW YORK, NY February 23, 2010 —This week Mayor Bloomberg decided to withdraw of his fortune from the Quadrangle Group. The investment firm was founded by his close friend Steven Rattner and the company is the subject of an ongoing criminal probe by New York Attorney General Andrew Cuomo. The mayor told reporters yesterday he'd rather not address his personal finances.

BLOOMBERG: It's not something that should be discussed in the public domain and I don't plan to. I was very satisfied with what Quadrangle did. They built an organization that I wanted and the plan was always for me to take it over and I did it. Whatever I do with my money is something that I will keep in my domain.

HOST: With us now to talk about the significance of the mayor's move is WNYC's Bob Hennelly.
    Dang I hope Cuomo nails him.

In any case we need to stay diligent. The fight isn't over, yet -- if it will ever be over.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

There is a person that posted from the anti-gun fear point of view. This is what I posted, partly in reply and partly to add my thoughts.
    We'll see if it gets put on the the webpage.
    This is a two part comment. The first part is directed to Peter Saga. Peter, may I ask the reasons for your thoughts on this? I mean no ill intent, nor any malice. I actually served in the US military to help preserve your right to your thoughts and speech, so please don't misconstrue this as a personal attack.
    The reason for my asking is that I feel kind of insulted by your comments. I know that they aren't directed to me in particular. I do however think that in an indirect manner, they are somewhat putting me in a group that I don't think exists.
    I have been around firearms for most of my life and I am a hunter and a sportsman and a person who carries on a daily basis in my home state. I am extremely cautious with my firearms and I feel that they carry a great burden of responsibility.
    I am not one to randomly fire, nor am I one to use a firearm recklessly. I do understand your concerns, as quite frankly, there are some stupid people out there, but if you spend the time, you will find that the percentage of legal firearms owners that have an "accident" are infinitesimally small. In addition, bear spray most times is more effective than a firearm in stopping a charging bear.

As to my opinion regarding this bill passing; I am very glad it did. This is our right and just a little less infringement. Additionally, I feel that this is again, for those that have been checked out by the local police as well as the FBI as being citizens of good moral character and are also law abiding. Criminals by definition disobey laws and those with a concealed weapons permit are those that are following law and are thus subject to a higher standard. As a father and husband, I surely am not going to risk everything by being stupid with a gun, so why shouldn't I be allowed to carry in such places?

But alas, this is my opinion and I am grateful to live in a country where we can publicly express them, regardless of which side of the issue we see.
    “The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government.”

Patrick Henry
    Quote Originally Posted by UnklFungus
    If it is ok to disarm legal citizens to reduce crime, then doesn't it stand to disband the military to prevent war?

Quote Originally Posted by Janq View Post
    Wow, the antis quoted in this article are just completely WHACK! I am boggled at the depth of stupidity are utter nonsense escaping the mouths of them.
    The Brady person has got to live on another planet, he's just got to.
    “The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government.”

Patrick Henry
    Quote Originally Posted by UnklFungus
    If it is ok to disarm legal citizens to reduce crime, then doesn't it stand to disband the military to prevent war?

Thumbs up Outhouses

National Park Service to educate public on gun rights

According to National Park Spokesperson Phil Selleck, the Park Service is not going to go through any formal rulemaking process for each park. Instead said Selleck, the Service is going to work to "educate the public" and park employees on the gun carry rights in each park. Selleck said that federal law at 18 U.S.C. 930 continues to ban gun carry in "federal facilities," but advised that the Park Service does not consider unattended structures such as "outhouses" to be federal facilities because "employees are not regularly present there to perform official duties."

VIP Member
    Well, if you want to know something, ask a newbie. What a relief! Welcome to the forum, Mark.
    You are a really big guy to be in IL and NM. I can guess on which side you carry.
    Americans understood the right of self-preservation as permitting a citizen to repel force by force
    when the intervention of society... may be too late to prevent an injury.
    -Blackstone’s Commentaries 145–146, n. 42 (1803) in District of Columbia v. Heller, 554 U.S. 570 (2008)

VIP Member

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Mark IL NM View Post

National Park Service to educate public on gun rights

According to National Park Spokesperson Phil Selleck, the Park Service is not going to go through any formal rulemaking process for each park. Instead said Selleck, the Service is going to work to "educate the public" and park employees on the gun carry rights in each park. Selleck said that federal law at 18 U.S.C. 930 continues to ban gun carry in "federal facilities," but advised that the Park Service does not consider unattended structures such as "outhouses" to be federal facilities because "employees are not regularly present there to perform official duties."
    Thanks for the reference.

That was my understanding, also.

But I hadn't gotten around to doing the research.

Welcome to the campfire.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links