Rather straight-forward coverage of NPS Carry (Merged)

This is a discussion on Rather straight-forward coverage of NPS Carry (Merged) within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; in the Roanoke Times. Law allows firearms on Blue Ridge Parkway - Roanoke.com Law allows firearms on Blue Ridge Parkway A policy change extends state ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rather straight-forward coverage of NPS Carry (Merged)

VIP Member

Thumbs up Rather straight-forward coverage of NPS Carry (Merged)

in the Roanoke Times.

Law allows firearms on Blue Ridge Parkway - Roanoke.com

Law allows firearms on Blue Ridge Parkway
    A policy change extends state and local laws to national parks and wildlife refuges.
    By Matt Chittum
    981-3331

Starting Monday, legal gun owners may carry firearms onto the Blue Ridge Parkway with the same freedom the law allows elsewhere in Virginia.

The change also applies to Shenandoah National Park.

A new federal law signed by President Obama in May ends a Reagan-era ban on weapons in national parks and federal wildlife refuges, except for firearms that are dismantled or out of reach.

The new law doesn't create a specific law for national parks, but rather extends state and local laws onto the federal land, including laws allowing concealed weapons.

"As long as everybody's reasonable, everything works out," said Steve Stinnett, chief ranger for the parkway. "We commonly encounter people with concealed carry permits and it hasn't been a significant problem, so we don't see a significant problem going forward with that."

The parkway put out a news release Friday reminding gun owners that it's their responsibility to know the law in the location where they stand. And if they're driving the parkway, that law can change as they cross political boundaries.

"We're not going to interpret the law for people," Stinnett said. "We expect them to know the law if they're going to carry a firearm."

There are some restrictions. Hunting is still not allowed in the parks and refuges, though the park service's hunter access program is still in effect, Stinnett said.

And firearms are still prohibited in federal facilities in the parks, including visitors centers, offices, maintenance buildings -- "anywhere we have regular, recurring work by employees, volunteers and others working with the Park Service, Stinnett said.

The second President Bush first tried to end the ban in the parks, but his policy lasted only two months before federal judges rejected it in March 2009.

The bill creating the law that takes effect Monday was offered by Sen. Tom Coburn, R-Oklahoma, and attached as an amendment to the credit card holders' bill of rights.
    RT for avoiding usual hoplophoba.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    I wish someone would print the whole truth about the NPS ban. This article says it is a Reagan ban. Another I read said even Teddy Roosevelt wasn't allowed to cary in the parks.

What's the whole story?
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

VIP Member
    I agree and can you carry in all parks, I can't find anything solid

VIP Member

NRA Victory

This might be old news to some who have been following this topic.
    I consider this a major 2A victory. Cheers to NRA!

http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/new...D?OpenDocument
    If you understand, things are just as they are... If you do not understand, things are just as they are....
    - Zen Saying

...The law has been criticized by environmentalists, anti-gun groups and park supporters who fear it will lead to an increase in shootings of wildlife, historic buildings and even park personnel...

Yep, I can't wait to get my CCW permit so I can go shoot up the wildlife.

...In recent years, park officials have been trying to reign in rowdy behavior at the park by drunken canoeists and boaters.

This is already illegal, how many more laws are needed?

...She did question, however, how the law might make it more difficult for law enforcement officers to catch people illegally shooting wildlife from their vehicles...

Yeah, this is going to be a tough one...undercover poachers posing as CCW permit holders.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    ...The law has been criticized by environmentalists, anti-gun groups and park supporters who fear it will lead to an increase in shootings of wildlife, historic buildings and even park personnel...

Yep, I can't wait to get my CCW permit so I can go shoot up the wildlife.

...In recent years, park officials have been trying to reign in rowdy behavior at the park by drunken canoeists and boaters.

This is already illegal, how many more laws are needed?

...She did question, however, how the law might make it more difficult for law enforcement officers to catch people illegally shooting wildlife from their vehicles...

Yeah, this is going to be a tough one...undercover poachers posing as CCW permit holders.
    The article is just news in general and is only the STL writers viewpoint. I am sure there are many other similar newspaper articles.

As you do, I read through the lines.

I do consider this to be a significant NRA achievement.

I do not think this law would have been passed without NRA looking out for our 2A rights.
    If you understand, things are just as they are... If you do not understand, things are just as they are....
    - Zen Saying

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ccman View Post
    I agree and can you carry in all parks, I can't find anything solid
    As the article states, "The new law doesn't create a specific law for national parks, but rather extends state and local laws onto the federal land, including laws allowing concealed weapons."

What the law says:

"Protecting the right of individuals to bear arms in the units of the National Park System and the National Wildlife Refuge System -- the secretary of the Interior shall not promulgate or enforce any regulation that prohibits an individual from possessing a firearm ... in any unit of the National Park System or the National Wildlife Refuge System."

It effectively lifts the ban on carry in national parks and U.S. Fish & Wildlife Service-administered wildlife refuges. An individual is subject to the carry law of the state, DC (bans handgun carry), or territory (American Somoa and U.S. Virgin Islands).

So you can't carry in all parks. And you can't carry in a federal building anywhere that federal employees work "on a regular basis".

So can I carry in an outhouse that a federal employee regularly cleans?
    Americans understood the right of self-preservation as permitting a citizen to repel force by force
    when the intervention of society... may be too late to prevent an injury.
    -Blackstone’s Commentaries 145–146, n. 42 (1803) in District of Columbia v. Heller, 554 U.S. 570 (2008)

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pistology View Post
    So you can't carry in all parks. And you can't carry in a federal building anywhere.
    No carry unless local law allows it.

Note the:

"We're not going to interpret the law for people," Stinnett said. "We expect them to know the law if they're going to carry a firearm."
    Many Parks and reserves cross boundaries and some are NOT marked.

For example --

1) A small part of the George Washington Memorial Parkway pavement is actually in DC, not Virginia. The last time I was up that way there was no sign and even if there was what are you going to do when you get to it on a limited access highway. See: columbia island washington dc - Google Maps

2) Also, check Roosevelt Island that is part of the George Washington Memorial Parkway. It is in DC, while most of the GW Parkway is on Virginia. The Island is accessible only from the northbound lanes of the George Washington Memorial Parkway. The entrance to the parking lot is located just north of the Roosevelt Bridge -- but it is still in DC and the last time I check there was no sign that you were entering DC.

Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

VIP Member
    Yes

Crybabies always looking for the negative; BUT somehow never find any.
    You would think these doomsayers would learn to quit trying to play fortuneteller
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

NRA - join today. Nuff said.

-
    'Be careful, even in small matters' - Miyamoto Musashi

Good article.

VIP Member

BTW --

1) Check additional comments @ http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...nps-carry.html

2) FWIIW -- the NRA was a late joiner in this fight. Check the timeline @ The National Park Service self defense ban repeal effort time line The early fight was grassroots led.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

VIP Member

Thumbs down All is not as it seems

gun owners will be able to carry a firearm into the Wolf Trap National Park for the Performing Arts, but not beyond the ticketed entrances to the Filene Center, the park's amphitheater.

"Whether you sit on the lawn or under the canopy, firearms are prohibited,"

Full story here:

washingtonpost.com

Federal government to lift restrictions on guns in national parks

By Ed O'Keefe
    Washington Post Staff Writer
    Friday, February 19, 2010

The federal government will lift long-standing restrictions on guns in national parks Monday, meaning that visitors with proper permits could pack heat along with camping and picnic gear to most of the 392 parks. The move concerns current and former employees of the National Park Service who are convinced that the move will damage the spirit of the nation's park system.

Depending on state gun laws, visitors will be able to carry concealed and loaded guns into parks, the Park Service said.

The District bans people from carrying firearms; Maryland law allows gun owners with permits to carry handguns and rifles. Virginia allows for open and concealed carrying with proper permits and has reciprocity agreements with 30 states.

West Virginia, home to Harpers Ferry National Historical Site, allows for open carrying but requires a state permit for concealed firearms.

The Park Service has spent months preparing for the new law, holding conference calls in recent days with park supervisors to review the changes and ensure they prepare signage and talking points for visitors, spokesman David Barna said.

Differing state restrictions make understanding the new law complicated, especially for parks situated in more than one state, Barna said. Supervisors will have to ensure that tourists keep guns out of visitor centers and rangers' office buildings, because federal law bans firearms in federal facilities. But guns could be carried into private lodges or concession stands, depending on state laws.

"The burden for the public rests with knowing what the law is in the state that you're in, in a similar way that you have to know the automotive or marriage license laws of the state you're in," Barna said. Park Web sites will provide links to states' gun laws, he said.

In the Washington area, gun owners will be able to carry a firearm into the Wolf Trap National Park for the Performing Arts, but not beyond the ticketed entrances to the Filene Center, the park's amphitheater.

"Whether you sit on the lawn or under the canopy, firearms are prohibited," said Park Service regional spokesman Bill Line. Private restaurants on the grounds will also ban weapons, Line said.

Congress lifted the gun ban last spring, after years of efforts by a bipartisan coalition that said differences in state and federal firearms laws made it difficult for gun owners to travel between state and federal lands.

The Bush administration had lifted the ban on concealed weapons in its final months, after pressure from gun rights groups, including the National Rifle Association. But a federal judge blocked the move last year. The Obama administration declined to appeal the ruling, and Congress passed the law. President Obama signed the measure without comment as part of a credit card reform package.

National parks hosted about 275 million visitors in 2008, the agency said. There were 3,760 reported major crimes, including five homicides and 37 rapes. The agency does not note which crimes involve firearms. Crime is down across the system's parks, according to the statistics.

Bill Wade, president of the Coalition of National Park Service Retirees, said that could change Monday.

"Visitors are going to go to national parks with an increased amount of suspicions and weariness and concern," Wade said. Worse, he said, the new law will erase the park system's reputation as a place of solitude and safety.

"People go to national parks to get away from things that they face in their everyday living, where they live and work. Now I think that social dynamic is really going to change," Wade said.

Scot McElveen, president of the Association of National Park Rangers, said that the new law violates the Park Service's original mission to serve as a preserve for the United States' natural resources and wildlife.

"Our tens of thousands of years of collective experience in operating and managing parks leads us to believe that allowing loaded, readily accessible firearms in parks is one that will lead to lessened preservation of park resources," McElveen said.

Critics are also concerned about the possibility of an increase in illegal hunting and poaching.

"There are a group of folks that will never break the law, no matter what, because they believe the law and want to keep their weapons," McElveen said. "But there's also a group in the middle that can be tempted by opportunity when they think that no one's around and no one will find out."

John Velleco, director of federal affairs for Gun Owners of America, said he thinks such concerns are misguided. "If poaching is a problem, go after the poachers. Don't go after the millions and millions of people who have concealed permits and who could otherwise carry on Park Service land," he said. The new law will only make the parks safer, Velleco said.

"If anything, it's going to lead to fewer criminal attacks, because people will be able to defend themselves," Velleco said.

Sen. Tom Coburn (R-Okla.), who led congressional efforts to change the law, said that concerns about the law's potential negative impact on parks are overblown.

"I don't expect anything major to come from this other than to restore the Second Amendment rights taken away by bureaucrats," Coburn said. If states want to change their gun laws, he said, "it'll be left up to the people and not the bureaucrats in Washington."
    [emphasis added]
    Μολὼν λαβέ

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

Firearms now allowed in most national parks and wildlife refuges

LA Times has a bit on carry in the parks - clickable link below:

LA Times - Firearms now allowed in most national parks and wildlife refuges

I'm at work and cannot blog on this one, but invite others to do so...

Firearms now allowed in most national parks and wildlife refuges
    February 22, 2010 | 10:45 am

A change in federal law goes into effect Monday that will allow firearms to be carried in many national parks and wildlife refuges.

The legislation, enacted by Congress and signed by President Obama in May, allows individuals with "carry" permits who can legally possess guns under federal, state and local laws to tote the weapons in national parks and wildlife refuges. Every state except Illinois and the District of Columbia have concealed and or open carry laws of some kind.

"For nearly 100 years, the mission of the National Park Service has been to protect and preserve the parks and to help all visitors enjoy them," National Park Service Director Jon Jarvis said in a news release. "We will administer this law as we do all others -- fairly and consistently."

Firearms have been prohibited in most national parks and wildlife refuges, with the exception of some parks in Alaska and those that allow hunting.

The new law will not change hunting regulations, nor the use of firearms in these areas. Guns will also continue to be prohibited in designated federal facilities within national parks and wildlife refuges, such as visitor centers, ranger stations and offices.

Firearms will be allowed in 373 of the 392 national parks. Since more than 30 of these parks are located in more than one state, visitors need to know where they are when in these parks and which state's law applies, as state and local firearms laws vary.
    To help visitors understand the laws and plan accordingly, park websites have been updated to include links to state firearms laws.

Many will probably decry this change, stating it could lead to more accidental shootings and/or crimes in our national parks and wildlife refuges. I'm curious as to what readers think -- is it a good idea, so that people can protect themselves if necessary, or will it lead to more problems than it might prevent?

-- Kelly Burgess

Photo: A Smith & Weston .357 is shown with various caliber handgun ammunition. Credit: Judi Bottoni / Associated Press

To follow this blog on Twitter, please visit @latimesoutposts.
    Lifetime NRA member.

Distinguished Member Array tinkerinWstuff's Avatar
    1st article I've seen today about it.
    "Run for your life from the man who tells you that money is evil. That sentence is the leper's bell of an approaching looter. So long as men live together on earth and need means to deal with one another-their only substitute, if they abandon money, is the muzzle of a gun."

Who is John Galt?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links