From 2009: Story from abc news: New awb on the way

From 2009: Story from abc news: New awb on the way

This is a discussion on From 2009: Story from abc news: New awb on the way within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Obama to Seek New Assault Weapons Ban Previous Ban Expired in 2004 During the Bush Administration By JASON RYAN WASHINGTON, Feb. 25, 2009— The Obama ...

Thread: From 2009: Story from abc news: New awb on the way

Exclamation From 2009: Story from abc news: New awb on the way

Obama to Seek New Assault Weapons Ban
    Previous Ban Expired in 2004 During the Bush Administration

By JASON RYAN
    WASHINGTON, Feb. 25, 2009—

The Obama administration will seek to reinstate the assault weapons ban that expired in 2004 during the Bush administration, Attorney General Eric Holder said today.

"As President Obama indicated during the campaign, there are just a few gun-related changes that we would like to make, and among them would be to reinstitute the ban on the sale of assault weapons," Holder told reporters.

Holder said that putting the ban back in place would not only be a positive move by the United States, it would help cut down on the flow of guns going across the border into Mexico, which is struggling with heavy violence among drug cartels along the border.

"I think that will have a positive impact in Mexico, at a minimum." Holder said at a news conference on the arrest of more than 700 people in a drug enforcement crackdown on Mexican drug cartels operating in the U.S.

Mexican government officials have complained that the availability of sophisticated guns from the United States have emboldened drug traffickers to fight over access routes into the U.S.

A State Department travel warning issued Feb. 20, 2009, reflected government concerns about the violence.

"Some recent Mexican army and police confrontations with drug cartels have resembled small-unit combat, with cartels employing automatic weapons and grenades," the warning said. "Large firefights have taken place in many towns and cities across Mexico, but most recently in northern Mexico, including Tijuana, Chihuahua City and Ciudad Juarez."

At the news conference today, Holder described his discussions with his Mexican counterpart about the recent spike in violence.

"I met yesterday with Attorney General Medina Mora of Mexico, and we discussed the unprecedented levels of violence his country is facing because of their enforcement efforts," he said.

Holder declined to offer any time frame for the reimplementation of the assault weapons ban, however.

"It's something, as I said, that the president talked about during the campaign," he said. "There are obviously a number of things that are -- that have been taking up a substantial amount of his time, and so, I'm not sure exactly what the sequencing will be."

In a brief interview with ABC News, Wayne LaPierre, president of the National Rifle Association, said, "I think there are a lot of Democrats on Capitol Hill cringing at Eric Holder's comments right now."

During his confirmation hearing, Holder told the Senate Judiciary Committee about other gun control measures the Obama administration may consider.

"I think closing the gun show loophole, the banning of cop-killer bullets and I also think that making the assault weapons ban permanent, would be something that would be permitted under Heller," Holder said, referring to the Supreme Court ruling in Washington, D.C. v. Heller, which asserted the Second Amendment as an individual's right to own a weapon.

The Assault Weapons Ban signed into law by President Clinton in 1994 banned 19 types of semi-automatic military-style guns and ammunition clips with more than 10 rounds.

"A semi-automatic is a quintessential self-defense firearm owned by American citizens in this country," LaPierre said. "I think it is clearly covered under Heller and it's clearly, I think, protected by the Constitution."

ABC News Internet Ventures
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Pretty simple...
    Pure...

The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

wpk
    Those guys really don't want to stay in office, do they?
    "America is a nation of laws; poorly written and randomly enforced." -Frank Zappa

“Man will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest.” -Denis Diderot

Guess I need to go ahead and get the AR then before they go up even more in price.
    Healthy children will not fear life, if their parents have integrity enough not to fear death.
    -TIME DEUM ET OPERARE IUSTITIAM--

It seems totally ridiculous to me that the U.S. of A. would consider banning a type of weapon because another country (Mexico) struggles with gun violence. Do they not have government, LEO, and military of their own to deal with thier violence and gun issues without the US changing our policy on thier behalf? I doubt that the drug cartels are legally obtaining thier weapons nor are they legally sending them to Mexico. This would only impact law abiding citizens...which is exactly what the proposed legislation would be disigned to impact. The smoke and mirrors and BS reasons they hide behind make me sick. They just need to call it what it is...to say it is because they want to help curtail gun violence in Mexico is just plain insulting.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

JD
    Administrator
    That story aired a year ago. It's old news, nothing new and has been posted many, many times.

Quote Originally Posted by ExSoldier View Post
    Obama to Seek New Assault Weapons Ban
    Previous Ban Expired in 2004 During the Bush Administration

By JASON RYAN
    WASHINGTON, Feb. 25, 2009—

Sponsored Links