Maryland's HB52

This is a discussion on Maryland's HB52 within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Okay... so I read on another site that Maryland has passed HB52. THis bill grants reciprocity with Va, Pa, Del (all surrounding states) SO I ...

Thread: Maryland's HB52

Maryland's HB52

Okay... so I read on another site that Maryland has passed HB52. THis bill grants reciprocity with Va, Pa, Del (all surrounding states) SO I go to the Maryland General Assmebly page and see that HB52 was last read in January, but with no updated status. SO now I guessing that what I read on the other site is BS.... does anyone know the status of this bill?
    Alex G.
    S&W M&P .45
    Virginia Beach, Va.
    Senior Chief Petty Officer, RETIRED, USN
    Certified NRA Pistol Instructor
    NRA Range Officer

2. Remove Ads

I don't know for sure. But...given a choice between the General Assembly's page and some internet forum I believe I'd go with the General Assembly.

If you go to the bill status page for HB52 and then go to the "Guns" subject index, as of today's updates, HB52 was heard in the House Judiciary Committee on 1/26 at 1pm. It hasn't been reported out, killed, or tabled, so no action has been taken, yet. It might die in committee with no action (and no recorded vote).
    - Tom
    You have the power to donate life.

Distinguished Member Array kazzaerexys's Avatar
    What Tom said. Still working its laborious way through the process, likely to an untimely end.

And, importantly, it is not a reciprocity bill. HB52 is an amendment to existing code with a single sentence, saying Maryland would recognize as valid carry permits issued by VA, PA, and DE. It says nothing about MD permits being recognized elsewhere, and it says nothing about the residency status of those holding said neighbor-state permits. Since any sane, law-abiding Marylander could get a Virginia permit, it is effectively an end-run around may-issue in the state of Maryland.

I'd love to see this sneak its way through the process, but I suspect the governor would veto it if it ever made it to his desk. *sigh*
    “What is a moderate interpretation of [the Constitution]? Halfway between what it says and [...] what you want it to say?” —Justice Antonin Scalia

SIG: P220R SS Elite SAO, P220R SAO, P220R Carry, P226R Navy, P226, P239/.40S&W, P2022/.40S&W; GSR 5", P6.

I'd definitely spend more time and money in Maryland if this made it. Not holding my breath on this one, though.

Distinguished Member Array GWRedDragon's Avatar
    Yeah, this has about as much chance as the proverbial snowball. Nice to dream about, though.
    "Trust in God with hand on sword" -Inscription on my family's coat of arms from medieval England
    ---Carry options: G26/MTAC, PF9/MiniTuck, PPK/Pocket, USP40/OWB---
    ---NOTE: I am not an expert. If I ever start acting like a know-it-all, please call me on it immediately. ---

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by GWRedDragon View Post
    Yeah, this has about as much chance as the proverbial snowball. Nice to dream about, though.
    Have you seen ALL the snow we've had this year??

(Sorry, I think you are right, but someone had to say it. )
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

Links