GOOD LTE in Roanoke Times

This is a discussion on GOOD LTE in Roanoke Times within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; http://www.roanoke.com/editorials/letters/wb/238349 How can fewer guns equal more safety? Luanne Traud asks in her column "More guns, less safety" of Feb. 21 how people know that ...

Thread: GOOD LTE in Roanoke Times

VIP Member

GOOD LTE in Roanoke Times

http://www.roanoke.com/editorials/letters/wb/238349

How can fewer guns equal more safety?

Luanne Traud asks in her column "More guns, less safety" of Feb. 21 how people know that a person with a concealed carry permit is a law-abiding citizen who "wouldn't think of mixing a six-shooter and a shot of whiskey."

The simple explanation is that people with concealed carry permits have gone to the trouble and expense of obtaining a permit, an indication that they have an interest in being law-abiding citizens. You can carry a concealed weapon without obtaining a permit if you have no interest in obeying laws.

The real question is how did she come up with the premise that more guns means less safety?

To quote Gary Kleck, a professor of criminology at Florida State University and author of several books based on his research, "if criminals have guns and use them in attacks on people, the victims are more likely to die." Additionally, he says that "strong evidence has found that crime victims who use guns during a crime are less likely to be injured or killed, and less likely to lose property than crime victims who adopt any other strategy, including nonresistance."

JACKIE COLLINS
    BLACKSBURG
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

2. Remove Ads

Links