My first holster, first impressions.

This is a discussion on My first holster, first impressions. within the SHTF Gear Holsters forums, part of the Site Sponsors category; If you are reading this thread, you pretty much know what my first holster is. That's correct, a SHTFgear holster, ACE-1 for a p229 no-rail. ...

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By hwarang54
  • 1 Post By high pockets
  • 1 Post By slidewayz240

Thread: My first holster, first impressions.

My first holster, first impressions.

If you are reading this thread, you pretty much know what my first holster is. That's correct, a SHTFgear holster, ACE-1 for a p229 no-rail. I am doing a quick review before bed so you can get my first impressions, as first impressions last a lifetime.

Got home from work and opened the door. Said hi to my wife and my dogs, then saw a box on my favorite recliner. I had ordered a bunch of other stuff this week so I wasn't sure what it was until I saw the return label. It was SHTFgear LLC. I opened it in quick fashion to find the holster, wrapped in plastic with a little paper tag that said "p229." Also much paperwork including a word on retention and a letter from Clay (pretty sure it is a form-letter, but thanks for the thought!) along with my packing slip, and a letter saying they upgraded the clips to black powdercoat (THANKS CLAY!!!) . I unwrapped the holster, took off the tag, and placed the holster on the kitchen table. I sat there and looked at it for about 5 minutes, until my wife broke the monotony with a "That's it? That's what you paid 60$ for? I thought it would be prettier..." I thought to myself, "Yea, she's right. It doesn't look good." Of course, I have always been a function over form type of guy, but there is a point where no matter how well something functions, if it's THAT ugly, I won't buy it. This was not one of those times. And no one is going to see it besides me anyway. The holster is well put together with heavy kevlar stitching holding the kydex to the leather. The leather itself is fairly thick. The screws, clips and rivets are all metal (steel is what is advertised, but I have no way of verifying this). The clips are fairly flexible, but feel sturdy and have good memory (they don't stay bent).

I looked at it for a bit longer and could see how utilitarian it looked. The kevlar stitching is about the only accent you get besides the company logo. Besides that, what you see is what you get. I figured, "What the hey, let's give it a shot." I grabbed the holster, slid inside my waistband (as that is where it is advertised to go, you see) and slid the pistol in. It is extraordinarily easier to put on than I originally expected. The clips being fairly flexible made it SO much easier.

Suprisingly, I found holstering and reholstering while inside the waistband to be rather natural. I found drawing to be a bit of a challenge because I could feel my shoulder muscles cramping a bit and I had to put my arm at a strange angle. It is adjustable however, so I might lower the holster so it sits further down and that should fix the problem. The cant is perfect. The retention is pretty good even without having to have the holster mold to my body (I had to shake the holster upside down pretty hard to get the gun to unholster on its own). The holster holds the weight of my p229 very well and distributes the weight so I don't really notice it's there. The belt I was wearing was not a gun belt and I had to tighten the belt pretty good to keep it up, but that's about all there was to that. The holster itself is rather comfortable, even before it forms to my body. I can sit, bend, squat, etc rather comfortable. I have not driven in it yet.

I decided to play a game. I put the holster with the gun on, walked around the house, sat down to eat dinner, walked around the kitchen and did some other things for a couple HOURS. My wife finally asked me if I was gonna try the holster out. She was surprised to find out I was already carrying my handgun in it with the holster on and that I had been for the past couple of hours. She told me she never noticed anything different.

All in all, I am happy with this purchase. I find it will suit me rather well once I get my entire carry system in order. I will definitely be carrying it for a while. A good product and good service. I will write a longer, and more involved review, after I get my system in place and wear the holster around a bit longer.
    SHTFGearLLC likes this.

2. Remove Ads

You think it's comfortable now, wait til you try it with a gun belt. I have several SHTF ACE-1 holsters and I like them all. My most recent holster is for my HK P30, and I think it's great.
    SHTFGearLLC likes this.
    "If you make something idiot proof, someone will make a better idiot."

- Anon

Only IWB holster I use. I have one for my Full size 1911, Glock 26, and Taurus PT111
    SHTFGearLLC likes this.

Re: My first holster, first impressions.

Wearing it right now. Kind of itchy, but ill get used to it. I'm not used to having any kind of pressure there.

Can do all daily activities without messing with it, hit I can feel my shirt catching it. It's holds in place and the gun, while heavy, isn't as bad as a lot of people made it out to be.

Don't misunderstand here. Always exquisitely aware I am carrying q dearly weapon.
    Sent from my HTCEVOV4G using Tapatalk 2