New pants for my LCR

This is a discussion on New pants for my LCR within the SHTF Gear Holsters forums, part of the Site Sponsors category; I was out at the range today making holes in paper with my .357 LCR--fun wheel gun and I'm learning where & how to hold ...

Thread: New pants for my LCR

Wink New pants for my LCR

I was out at the range today making holes in paper with my .357 LCR--fun wheel gun and I'm learning where & how to hold to keep 'em in the 10-ring. Got home this afternoon with a grin plastered on my face, when things just got better.....

Mr Postman brought me a new SHTF Hybrid. This is my first SHTF holster, and I am impressed! Great fit, excellent materials, and superb workmanship. I haven't used it yet, but will try to write further reviews; so far I'm really pleased.

Thank you SHTF!
    Last edited by Nix; June 8th, 2013 at 11:07 AM. Reason: correction

2. Remove Ads

Took delivery yesterday and wore the rig all day today. It may still be a little stiff, but there were several times today that I forgot it was there. Very comfortable. No issues with retention, despite being very active working in the yard and on the Jeep. Don't think I'm 'printing' much, except when I really lean forward (wearing at 4 o'clock). I'm still really pleased.

DC
    Looks nice. I use Mr. Softy for mine.

I have three shtf gear holsters and they are great. Give the leather backer a good week or two to break in it will awesome I promise.

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 2
    ”God grants Liberty only to those who love it, and are always ready to guard and defend it.”
    ~Daniel Webster

Your points are shallow... my points are Hollow....

I was thinking about treating it with a rubdown of Montana Pitch blend: beeswax, pine pitch, and mink oil. This stuff is great for renewing and protecting leather. Any reason not to treat the leather side of the holster?

I have not had a need for mine to be treated, also I dont know how much it would do. The dye blocks the pores of the leather so I am not sure it would absorb well. If in doubt you could always email SHTF gear and see what they say.
    ”God grants Liberty only to those who love it, and are always ready to guard and defend it.”
    ~Daniel Webster

Your points are shallow... my points are Hollow....

Administrator
    I would just wear it every day for a week or so before you do anything to your leather.
    And then if you do decide to treat it with anything - apply it sparingly.

Nice piece, nice rig! And speed strips too. Just curious, why the gap in the middle? I have five rounds in mine as well, but leave the open space by the "tab" for a better hold on the strip.
    "Yet this government never of itself furthered any enterprise, but by the alacrity with which it got out of the way... The character inherent in the American people has done all that has been accomplished; and it would have done somewhat more, if the government had not sometimes got in its way."

Distinguished Member Array dben002's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Nix View Post
    I was thinking about treating it with a rubdown of Montana Pitch blend: beeswax, pine pitch, and mink oil. This stuff is great for renewing and protecting leather. Any reason not to treat the leather side of the holster?
    The kind folks at Mitch Rosen advised me never/ever/don't do it/ apply oil to a leather holster, but of course we are talking a full leather iwb holster not a leather backed kydex rig. The oil will soften the leather and a full leather holster you would not want to do this to as it would decrease retention after leather softens and would stretch. Don't know what it would do to the leather backing of a kydex rig..may be no problem at all ....but then there's the but...................I would shoot an email to them just to be sure before you do that......
    There are two types of people who carry concealed weapons...Responsible ones and Irresponsible ones...which are you...

Distinguished Member Array Once's Avatar
    Looks good

Quote Originally Posted by maxwell97 View Post
    And speed strips too. Just curious, why the gap in the middle? I have five rounds in mine as well, but leave the open space by the "tab" for a better hold on the strip.
    Makes it a little easier to drop the first two rounds in simultaneously...or so I've convinced myself. Give it a try.

I asked Clay at SHTF Gear about dressing the leather with a wax blend, here is his response:

We do apply a type of wax to the surface of the leather when it is in the shop. I wouldn't think any harm would come from applying a small amount of it to the top grain (its penetration may be limited by our wax coating). Generally speaking, I would say it is unnecessary.
    I'll hold off for a while on re-dressing the leather since SHTF already waxed it. These guys seem to do it right!