What type of screw do you prefer on holster hardware?

This is a discussion on What type of screw do you prefer on holster hardware? within the SHTF Gear Holsters forums, part of the Site Sponsors category; Many of you have used screws on holsters before, either for belt clip attachment or retention adjustment. I'm wondering what type of screw head you ...

View Poll Results: What type of screw head do you prefer on a holster?

Voters
52. You may not vote on this poll
  • Allen/Hex Key

30 57.69%
  • Phillips

12 23.08%
  • Slotted

10 19.23%
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By technomonster

Thread: What type of screw do you prefer on holster hardware?

Sponsor

What type of screw do you prefer on holster hardware?

Many of you have used screws on holsters before, either for belt clip attachment or retention adjustment. I'm wondering what type of screw head you prefer? Each has their pro's and con's. Look forward to hearing your feedback!
    The Most Advanced Hybrid Holsters- Custom Formed for over 200 guns! 30 Day Money Back Guarantee, Lifetime Warranty
    www.shtfgear.com

www.facebook.com/shtf.gear

Glock 42 Holsters now shipping! www.shtfgear.com/ACE-1-GLOCK-42
    XDs 4.0 Holsters now shipping! www.shtfgear.com/ACE-1-SPR-XDS-4

2. Remove Ads

Sponsor
    I really like the advantages of the hex key, minimal chance of stripping and you can really control how much force you use. But I'm also a bit fan of the Phillips because it is so wide spread.
    The Most Advanced Hybrid Holsters- Custom Formed for over 200 guns! 30 Day Money Back Guarantee, Lifetime Warranty
    www.shtfgear.com

www.facebook.com/shtf.gear

Glock 42 Holsters now shipping! www.shtfgear.com/ACE-1-GLOCK-42
    XDs 4.0 Holsters now shipping! www.shtfgear.com/ACE-1-SPR-XDS-4

Hex or Torx, both are great and the torx has even more load bearing surface area than hex so less chance of stripping out the head. For holster hardware the hex is great for me so far but I'd try the torx if it was more common in the "sex" screw market.
    North Carolina Concealed Handgun Permit Instructor
    NRA Personal Protection and Basic Pistol Instructor

We're talking about an adjustment screw here, and with a little 'lock tight', I really can't see what difference it would make.OMOYMV
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member
    for machines i like hex and torx or even torx plus for high torque stuff but it's over kill for holsters. slotted Phillips are preferred for holsters because Philips drivers are so common and you dont need the exact size, slotted Philips offer the stability of Phillips to prevent the driver from slipping on the fastener while allowing the screw to be turned with everyday objects in a pinch.
    IndianaSig likes this.
    “Show me a young Conservative and I'll show you someone with no heart. Show me an old Liberal and I'll show you someone with no brains.” Winston Churchill

VIP Member
    I don't run retention screws on my holsters, so that isn't a consideration. I prefer slotted, simply because they don't require a sized set of tools to drive/loosen, and because they are harder to strip out than phillips heads, at least for me.
    "Who are the ones that we kept in charge? Killers, thieves, and lawyers"

Tom Waits, God's Away on Business

I would prefer slotted mainly as it's easier to improvise with standard screw heads. My experience with standard, Phillips and hex heads has never been with holsters just typical maintenance problems found in machinery and buildings. When repairing-replacing anything due to vandalism I prefer hex heads or even torx as being somewhat more exotic vandals and punks aren't inclined to carry sophisticated tools.
    Excess concrete and rebar is another great vandalism fixer.

I didn't mean to go off topic but I've made many 'fixes' due to bored punks and their destructive tendencies.
    Firing a suppressed is on my Bucket List.

John 3:16 Gettin' Old ain't for Sissies.

America...a Constitutional Republic. NOT a democracy as the liberals would have us believe.

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    We're talking about an adjustment screw here, and with a little 'lock tight', I really can't see what difference it would make.OMOYMV
    Lok-Tite...a mechanic or maintenance worker's good buddy (Add Kroil to the mix and you've got some real hot ammo in your tool box.)
    Firing a suppressed is on my Bucket List.

John 3:16 Gettin' Old ain't for Sissies.

America...a Constitutional Republic. NOT a democracy as the liberals would have us believe.

I don't always carry two concealed S&W 500's.........JUST KIDDING!

Phillips. Hands down. For a holster, anything else is just an annoyance.

If it has a retention screw (and most of my holsters don't) I would prefer that it be slotted. The less specialty tools I have to carry, the better. Nothing like having to adjust or repair something in the field and discovering that the one tool you need is back home on the workbench.
    "The superior man, when resting in safety, does not forget that danger may come." ~ Confucius

VIP Member
    Always allen head or star . You can tighten a bit more with these fasteners . I work with all types and by far the better type.
    Member of the NRA
    Gun Safety is Life Safety
    {A}RMS discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property...Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them
    1775 Thomas Paine