Night stand gun

This is a discussion on Night stand gun within the Sponsor Buy, Sell & Trade forums, part of the Marketplace category; Some of us have a preferred "night stand shooter", at the ready, which is our tool of choice in the case of an emergency. there ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Night stand gun

Sponsor

Night stand gun

Some of us have a preferred "night stand shooter", at the ready, which is our tool of choice in the case of an emergency. there are special holster used on the bedside which allow for a quick draw. But that is not the case with everyone else. Some of us literally lay our gun over a night stand at hands reach, in my case there are two of them,on each side of the bed.

We find that laying a couple of pieces of phosphorescent self adhesive on the bottom of the magazine, helps you locate your weapon in a moment of excitement.

Why two pieces? Two is better than one, two indicate a direction, a vector.
    Say , you could use the same technique on your light switches indicating the direction of the swipe needed to get that light on.

Please notice also both pieces are not the same size, indicating this way the direction of the barrel

You don't need to do on all mags, just that specific one, once you grab the gun, if you use your weak hand "saucer style", the self adhesive is covered so, this way it won't compromise your position.

The argument can be made by seasoned experts in the matter, that this enhancement is unnecessary, having practiced and honed that specific skill, unfortunately, that is not everyone, me included.
    When life is at risk every bit helps.
    Go with the glow

2. Remove Ads

I don't favor my weapon on the nightstand. It is placed on the floor in a position that as my arm drops to the floor, my hand acquires a firing grip.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

VIP Member
    I like that idea... Your stuff is great, I have made night sites for many guns that have no aftermarket source. My LCP and 642 to name a couple.
    "Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas!".... Sam Houston

Retired LEO
    Firearms Instructor
    NRA Life Member

VIP Member
    I have a G-19 with light/laser at my nightstand. It stays in the drawer during the day (no kids at my house) and I open the drawer at night and prop the grip up and on the edge of the drawer for easy reach......no fumbling.

The other night I was home alone and nearly asleep, or maybe I was drifting off. We have an antique armoire in our bedroom and one of the doors on it creaked loudly and was clearly swinging open. I'm laying there thinking "I'm not believing this". I'm 99% sure it was "accidental", but the 1% uncertainty was going to keep me awake. In one easy swoop I had the g19 in my hand, light on and pointed at the armoire. Of course no one was there, but it turned out to be a good unexpected exercise.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

Quote Originally Posted by ppkheat View Post
    I have a G-19 with light/laser at my nightstand. It stays in the drawer during the day (no kids at my house) and I open the drawer at night and prop the grip up and on the edge of the drawer for easy reach......no fumbling.

The other night I was home alone and nearly asleep, or maybe I was drifting off. We have an antique armoire in our bedroom and one of the doors on it creaked loudly and was clearly swinging open. I'm laying there thinking "I'm not believing this". I'm 99% sure it was "accidental", but the 1% uncertainty was going to keep me awake. In one easy swoop I had the g19 in my hand, light on and pointed at the armoire. Of course no one was there, but it turned out to be a good unexpected exercise.
    I am going to assume that you don't always live alone. If you do, then let this be a learning point, or not, for those that have others in their household. I'm not picking on you, but see a real chance for some unintended consequences here, and that is why I'm using your example. I hope you will bear with me, and not be offended.

I seem to recall more than one wise old sage saying, "Know your target and what is behind it."

Yes, it could've been an intruder in your home intent on doing you harm. In my case it could've also been the other person that has a set of keys to our house. It's her's, she just lets me think it's mine. What if she decided to come home early, and wasn't expected for another day or so, in order to suprise me?

Your example is why I'm not much of a fan of lights on guns, and prefer the light that I'm searching with, or identifying the target with, to be in my support hand. The light on the gun is only for once I have verified that there is a threat there. I can turn on the gun mounted light and drop the handheld light at this point. I contend that it would've been safer if you had your hand on the gun, ready but with the barrel pointed in a safe direction, and the light in your off hand identifying the target.

Good job keeping your finger off the trigger BTW. Lots of folks would've had to explain why the furniture has a hole in it that wasn't installed at the factory. Startle Reflex Response is a very real thing, and something to be aware of. It could've very easily have been tragic if it was a person that you knew, and maybe even love, that now has a perforation in a body part that the Good Lord didn't give them and they didn't pay to have pierced.

I realize that we all try to balance being safe with being prepared in case the unthinkable happens, but sometimes you just have to play the cards you are dealt, good hand or bad. Take care and stay safe.

Biker
    Last edited by BikerRN; November 16th, 2010 at 03:19 AM. Reason: typo

My EDC, a Glock-36, sits on the night stand next to the bed. If I open my eyes in the dark, the night sights (Trijicons) can be clearly seen and it's only a reach away.
    CVarner and lefty13 like this.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I keep my 1911 on the lamp beside my bed,chambered and locked,with 4 loaded magazines.And a Smith .500 in the bottom of the lampstand.Good night.

If you discharged a .500 in the house where I was, you wouldnt have to worry about the bad guy. LOL
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

GM
    Quote Originally Posted by jwhite75 View Post
    If you discharged a .500 in the house where I was, you wouldnt have to worry about the bad guy. LOL
    Neither would he need to worry anymore about blowing out his nor his family’s eardrum, because they will be gone forever . Not to talk about firing a S&W .500 in the dark .

Check following videos:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dPf4MUR4BKo
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fLr4hft7Lcg
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Rtw91crys8&feature=fvw
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

I don't have a "nightstand" per se. I have a cardboard box full of computer parts, discs and other electronic stuff with a lid on it next to the head of my bed. On that at night sit's my M&P .40c in its Supertuck and angled so that if I put my arm down it'll fall right into a natural grip. I keep the holster on it to avoid any nasty trigger accidents.
    My blog

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

Distinguished Member Array GunGeezer's Avatar
    Before I undress for bed, I remove my pocket carry gun and place it on the night stand. But if needed, I reach for my Mossberg Home Defense Tactical shotgun loaded with 00 buck on it's mattress rack within easy reach. If I need to shoot, I'm not waiting to put on my glasses. I just aim west.
    CVarner and lefty13 like this.

I'm in total agreement. I dont do anything special. I keep it in my Desantis holster with the adjustment set to very little pressure to pull out the weapon. It it positioned the same as yours.
    lefty13 likes this.

Distinguished Member Array C9H13NO3's Avatar
    My night sights glow enough for me to locate the gun quickly. I always have it in the same place on the nightstand, oriented in the same direction.
    lefty13 likes this.
    -Ryan

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.

Ex Member
    I am a VERY light sleeper, have a great alarm system, triple locks on everything, and two dogs. By the time a BG gets in I have enough time to be filling sand bags.

G36 with laser two extra mags ... Alarm system, Dog, gated community...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast