Defensive Carry banner

The CZ SP -01...

1K views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  archer51 
#1 ·
What is your opinion on this seemingly nice LOOKING gun. I mean "nice LOOKING" because I have no experience with it, but WOW it felt great in my hand. It reminded me of the efficiency of the Browning Hi-power, and what the intentions of the Hi-Cap "Wundernines" are meant to deliver.

The gun I examined today, was indeed a 9mm. Wow, what a nicely "put together" firearm, specially in the DA/SA department. An "Insight" light to go on it ( no lazer ), and the gun with 3 dot painted fixed sights, nice black finish for $625.

Is this gun as nice in action, as it is in the hand?

#3 ·
There are different SP-01 models: SP-01 Tactical, SP-01, SP-01 Phantom (polymer frame), SP-01 Shadow (IPSC ready). Which one are you referring to? Unless someone changed the gun’s sights, I do not think that it is a SP-01 Shadow, because they have fiber optic sights from factory. Is the gun new or used? If used, that price is very high except for a Shadow in good shape. All other SP-01 (new production) can you get new for around $600 to $700 depending of the model.

I have a Shadow, it is a great pistol. I never had any kind of problems with it, and it is very accurate. Because of its weight the recoil is minimal. However, IMO it is way too clumsy and heavy to CC. But if you want it for the range or competition, then it is a very good pistol.

#4 ·
Thanks GM. Definitely not a polymer pistol. This one is "hefty". The fixed sights looked like they had that paint that charges with light, and eventually fades.

The dealer would give me the gun, and an Insight mounted light for that price, and I thought that it would make a good "house gun", since I only have fifty four thousand that could cover that role. Well give a few, take a few. I really don't need another night stand gun, but I would love to add this little beast to the stable.:comeandgetsome:

#7 ·
Did you visit the CZ site yet? If not go there and see the different SP-01 models (the prices showed there are way too high). I can only tell very well about my Shadow. Mine is not a “house gun”, but I am sure that it could make a very good one. What I should do is to try to find some information on the Internet and see how much that specific model cost, the same with the light. Personally, I do not trust dealers when they tell me that “it is a very good deal”, and even less when they try to make the product more attractive putting some extras. But as I said before, the SP-01 Shadow is a great pistol and I truly like it. Good luck!

#5 ·
If it's anything like the surplus 9x18 Makarov CZ-82 I acquired, it's a very well-made firearm. Like you said, the 82 fit my hand well, which I found surprising since it was made during the Cold War (88). Shoots very well, flawless function.

CZ firearms have a good reputation; I don't think you'd regret it.

#6 ·
My Phantom is very accurate and reliable. The trigger however, makes my H&K triggers feel better even after an adjustment from Ghost. I do not think it is too large for CC. I think everyone is getting too much press about the new fad, .380s and forgetting that we managed to conceal larger guns for a long time.

#8 ·

I have had mine for about six months. It is the all steel model and it is absolutely scary accurate. I have put approximately 500 rounds through it with no problems at all.

Great gun.

#9 ·
I have the phantom 9mm too. +1 on scary accurate. Mild recoil too, good ergonomics, good balance, points very naturally. Integrated rail. With polymer phantom you can't change the grips. If you want a laser the Lasermax Unimax, or the Armalaser Stingray both fit the rail. I have two other CZ's and hope to get more as life goes on. Great guns.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.