Defensive Carry banner

Single Shot Shotguns

8K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  earthworm 
#1 ·
The rabid raccoon had caused concern being as there was three year old child and new puppy in the household.
Even though there is fence around the yard…
Raccoons, if they ever get a thumb, we humans are in for a lot more trouble.

The single shot shotgun is a simple, reliable firearm. I grew up when every household had at least one behind the back door. I admit I still have a soft spot for these simple firearms. In fact as some know, I do keep a NEF Youth model 20 handy. I had asked for a wood and blue, instead the stock numbers were confused and I kept the one that came in.

What I wanted and prefer is: Pardner Youth 20 Gauge (SB1-250)

Mine is: Topper Junior 20 Gauge (SB1-258)
http://www.hr1871.com/Firearms/Shotguns/topper.aspx

I have fired a few shotguns and shells in my day, and have patterned many a gun and load. This gun, with its fixed modified barrel, tosses some of the best pellet patterns and slug groups. Mine did so well, others chose these as well. Instead of whacking gun barrel and not having any choke, this gun’s total length is 36” and has choke.

I have felled a limit of 15 doves – with only 12 shells fired; taken small game, and critter control…

…Speaking of which, that Rabid Raccoon and folks being “in fear of” a child and family pet.

I was toting a NEF exactly like the one I keep at home. Even had the Koplin elastic shell cuff on butt- stock, with electrical tape to keep from sliding like mine…granted I had a hand in this gun, and setting it up.

I had 5 Remington Slugs, on the butt stock, one in my weak hand, and one in the chamber…, seven rounds total.

My sidearm was my Keltec P-11 with 124 gr JHP as I use for my “niche” CCW.

Young Lady, backing me up - was using a bone stock 1300 in 20 ga, Skeet choke with Remington slugs, her sidearm was a Model 66 with .357 loads. She can shoot these guns - very very well.

Raccoon was suspected be in down on the property – on past the house where a clump of trees are, some brush, and beyond are some fields.

As we approached, I started walking as I would out bird hunting, quail for instance. I heard him first, then he bolted out and ran toward me, I moved lateral, fired the first slug, thumbed the action open, as I side stepped lateral again, spent shell out, new slug from weak hand finger and fired again.
Ruark said to shoot again…I do.

Imagine the triangle of nipples to nose, first slug entered about an inch under ones Adam’s Apple, he fell of course, falling left , second slug entered between eye and nose.

One normal stride for me is about One yard. Distance from where he ran out bushes to where I fired 18 steps, and he was moving in fast. I fired when he was eight steps away.

Interesting is, about the time I started to slap trigger, he raised up, and I changed to COM shot. Cannot explain it, just like a clay, or bird changing a wee bit at the last Nth of a second. I was going for a head shot...he was coming in fast...who knows why threats do what they do...

If it breaks - its broke as they say...

Tueller drills are not just for handguns.

Lady backing me up, stayed weak side and matched my moves. She is an accomplished shooter, shoots from low gun for skeet, 5 stand and Sporting Clays, and she can run a pump gun, and keep it feed without looking.

I never looked at the single shot as ejected or reloaded, eyes on threat and moving laterally.

I have had my surprises with critter control, poke with long stick, while she covered then long rope, and slip knotted and dragged to the brush pile, later set ablaze. Just what you do – how it is done.

I am a huge proponent of slugs, both slugs exited, and the damage was terrible.

Single shot shotguns are about a C note new, used are less. Proven throughout history to take game, protect the home and critter control.

Why a youth model when I am 6’ and 170 #s?
A bigger person can shoot a smaller gun – a small person cannot shoot a bigger gun.
I use these for kids and petite shooters in teaching, or allow a petite person to hunt that needs a gun to fit. These are easy to tote when there will be more toting – than shooting.
Fits in a vehicle real easy, bone stock, politically / legally correct in more jurisdictions.

Yep, they still work.

Couple of lessons in this sharing of critter control of the other day, more to this sharing than the single shot shotgun, figured you folks have picked up on these.

Just a kid sized single shot shotgun – honest.

Regards,

Steve

See less See more
#2 ·
Never to be under rated Steve.

I regret, as we most do when selling a gun - the loss of my single shot folding .410. More so over the years. It was nothing that special - I think an inexpensive Italian deal, hinged below chamber and very portable, but one heck of a ''handy'' shottie.

If I spot anything like it again I'll be buying but can say that I've never yet seen anything like it since. I was an idiot to sell it!

#4 ·
Hey Chris!

Here is my take.

When I was growing up folks learned to shoot - period. Just how raised, what you did. Heck back then one could order a gun thru the mail, and not pay for it until the Postman delivered it to your door! Well until that got stopped...

I like simple, I am Practical not Tactical. I know what a bone stock shotgun will do, be it Pump, Semi, SXS , O/U , or Single shot. I have fired hundreds of thousands of shotgun shells. One gun I have alone has over 200K.

I also have this soft spot for kids , ladies , and the elderly. I chose to work with ladies that had been abused, and elderly on a budget.

Yep, I know a JC Higgens bone stock shotgun can be had for $85 , and these are fine shotguns! Too many Cinderella's out there for under $200. 870s, 1200s, 1300s, JC Higgens...etc.

We literally hoarded single shot shotguns and single shot .22 rifles. We taught kids, and had guns to teach, and give away. Something for that widow down the way, the kid going off to College, that abused lady, or single mom with a kid(s).

Pawn shops would hold these, call us, and for as little as $15, have a reliable firearm not dependent on magazines, and simple, safe to store and use.

1) Mother Nature reeks havoc such as tornado,or flood, and all guns lost, or cannot get to, we didn't wait for Gov't, we went in, had stores of everything any way. Toss out some Single shot firearms, and kids to adults could take of getting food, to defending against critters to any looters.

I know for a fact this was repeated during Katrina.

2) Teaching aid, no the .410 is not the best first gun for a kid, the 28 ga is. Still many kids received one - new or passed down. Primer only hulls to teach the safety, correct basics and fundamentals, mounting gun to face, stance, everything.

Then reload with Popcorn kernals, kid , lady, eldery - can break a balloon. Instills confidence, re-enforces the basics, and lessons transiton to pellet or slug loads. Less felt recoil is the key to teaching.

These popcorn loads gets pigeons out of a barn, and does not damage the barn, fixtures, or equipment.

I know a .410 is the most challenging of the 4 gauges to compete with in skeet. I also know the 28 ga posts the highest scores, there is a reason, and that is for another thread, or folks can do a search, I am not the only one that has posted the reasons why.

Still, I like to tote a .410 single shot to walk the property, just something about it, dog keeping company, maybe a kid.

The 20 ga is the most versatile, Rule of 96s makes the 12 bore less of a choice for the single shot [payload to weight of gun and recoil].

I often tote, keep handy and use a 20 ga single shot.
Maybe I am allowing a kid, a lady , or elderly on a budget to see, they can have a reliable firearm on a budget. The kids see an adult, and they do not feel "looked down" or feel "like a kid with a "kids" gun" - with their single shot.

Then maybe I had my childhood cut short and making up for it...
Maybe I like to have fun...

Then perhaps it is not the firearm - always the willingness and mindset of the shooter, training to know how to shoot, and one cannot buy skill and targets.

:yup:

Steve

#5 ·
Then maybe I had my childhood cut short and making up for it...
Childhood Steve never stops - ideally - we just (hopefully) get more sensible :wink:
Maybe I like to have fun...
Ditto that ;smilez:

#6 · (Edited)
I started hunting with my grandfathers old Stevens single shot 20. I later moved onto a 16 single shot, and then hit the big time with my Mossy 500 12 guage. After a number of years of successful hunting I started to loathe toting the heavy 500 on miles long rabbit hunts, and it never worked well for early season squirrels. So just this past March while at the goody store I spied a used NEF 20 guage single shot for $65. All is well now. I will take this one on more hunts than the 500 ever saw or will see again. It sits by my chair in the TV room loaded and with a full butt cuff to be the first greeting for any unwelcome visitors.

Thanks for this thread Steve. I hope to read more people's responses to what is probably the most common and under appreciated firearm in modern history, the single shot shotgun.

Edit to add: Well, I guess the single shot shotgun isn't modern technology at all, but really where it all began. I've seen some damn old fowlers in collections and all smoothbore muskets could also be classified as single shot shotguns as well.

#7 ·
As a hunter and just a person that enjoys spending a lot of time walking the woods I am a fan of the single shot also.

Years ago I bought a NEF 20 Ga and modified it to suit me. I shortened the barrel and stock,added sling and swivels and a shell carrier. It is the perfect woods walking firearm. I usually carry it with #4's and it will do a job on poisionous snakes,rabid animals and two legged animals if need be.

I enjoy shooting it and will carry a pocket full of shells and knock down pine cones,rotten stumps or just any good safe target.

I keep it stashed in the garage as an emergency back up if I ever need it.

I will try to post a picture but it may take a try or two!

#8 ·
It Is Written:"Thou shalt not curse that which works".
I wouldn't consider the old break-open single barrel the best firearm ever designed or made & certainly not the most tactical but it's hard to argue with the amount of game taken or social situations defused by these old classics.
Idle thought:how about a NEF in .308 with .223 & 12 gauge barrels as a 'stash' gun?Ought to cover 90% of potentially available ammo*wink*.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.