Defensive Carry banner

380 or 38 special for pocket carry?

• 7 rounds of 380

Votes: 118 40.4%
  • 5 rounds of 38 Special

Votes: 174 59.6%

380 or 38 Special for pocket carry. Pick one.

17K views 79 replies 68 participants last post by  maritz01 
#1 ·
Two different options for pocket carry a Kel-Tec (or Ruger LCP) 380 or J-frame 38 Special (Mag-Na-Ported).

The 380 offers 7 rounds with the following ballistics:
102 gr. Golden Saber @ 775 F.P.S. / 136# KE
90 gr. Hydra Shock @ 845 F.P.S. / 143# KE

The ported Model 638 offers 5 shots with slightly more power:
110 Silvertip (not +p) 821 F.P.S. / 165# KE
130 gr. Bonded PDX +P 848 F.P.S. / 207# KE

Which one would you pick for pocket carry? Why?

#2 ·
If you can conceal the revolver I'd say go for it. Personally I have an LCR and I find my self leaving it at home because in a pair of jeans the grip protrudes nearly out the pocket. Same thing in cargo shorts unless they have pretty deep front pockets, which mine don't, and carrying the gun in the actual cargo pocket is somewhat uncomfortable. When actually walking the gun brushes against my leg, so it's hard to forget it's there. With the LCP you won't even know you have a gun on you.

#3 ·
Oops. I didn't see where the TC mentioned "pocket carry".

I'd take a .38 due to ammo availability and the extra power. But I can't imagine pocket carrying one, except for maybe a very large jacket pocket.

For a real pocket carry, a Ruger LCP is where I'd put my money.

#5 ·
I have both, I have carried each, just this week.
My preference if making a choice would be the .38...still easy to conceal and a little more powerful SD weapon.:22a:

#6 ·
I'll take the seven 95gr Gold Dots with 950FPS and 200FPE over the 5 rounds .38 with just slightly higher ballistics. Faster reloads and more firepower wins the day IMO. YMMV

#8 ·
I have a chioce of carry guns. However, if I were to have to choose only one, and were going out to buy one single all-around PDW, I'd go with a J-frame. A 442, 642, 637 etc.

380s are inexpensive to buy and (when you can find ammo) fairly inexpensive to shoot. 38 can get expensive. Regardless of what you choose remember you'll need to practice with it. How that plays in your financial situation up to you.

Best!

Craig

#10 ·
.38 the 642 all but disapears in your pocket... plus if you have slightly bigger hands I think the J-frame fits the hand a little better then the LCP or the like.

#11 ·
Really either one will work, however the autos are flatter and don't seem to print as much. The .38 is more powerful but is limited to 5 rounds of course. If you can spend the bucks, the Kahr PM9 9mm would be an excellent choice as it is as flat as any .380 and carries the same number of rounds (6+1) and is even more powerful than the .38 snubbie. Just my .02 worth.

#12 ·
Revolvers are nearly dead as defense weapons. I don't think they'll ever die, because they are so simple, but police dropped them for a reason (make that several reasons). Personally, if I had to carry puny, I'd take the .380 way before I'd take a 5-shot. I do have an LCP, but it's backup only, and a backup ought to be little. The LCP can take the place of a reload for your 1911 or Sig, because they weight less than a reload for those weapons.

#14 ·
I would personally avoid a ported barrel for a SD gun. Remember that you don't always have the luxury in a SD situation to extend your arm fully and pull the trigger. You might find yourself being rushed and only have time to pull the gun to your hip before pulling the trigger. This situation will leave you with hot gasses and fouling straight to your face. Think about it. Porting is great for target guns but IMO is not helpful in a SD situation.

#18 ·
Im currently trying to figure out how to carry a M38 in my pocket. I agree with Big Larry. I like the 38 but I have very few pants with pockets deep enough. I know my work pants hide it but the butt shines from the openind. If I carry my P32 its just there doesnt bulge or shine. I have thought of painting (yes painting a 1968-1969 J frame) the but with a flat black paint so maybe it would better blend. Just thoughts. When I can where my shirt untucked I like to have my M38 in my pocket and my Glock 26 either at 4:00 IWB or in a Safecarry. That being said I would love to vote J frame but not sure I can just yet I refuse to give up.

#21 ·
I go with the 380 and 6+1 and 6 in spare mag.

Reloads much faster, and is flatter, and easier to conceal, and 13 ready rounds is better than 5, and trying to find 5 loose rounds or speed loader that needs a lot of work to become proficient, with when all you need do is insert mag and re chamber.

#22 ·
Agreeing with adameeski

I prefer the 38, but pocket carry is a really personal issue because you "feel" the gun so much more. BUT... I'm writing to agree with adameeski - ported guns have zero place in SD. If you need to use your gun in a hurry, you'll be lucky to have time to fire it, much less extend your arm. The point is to injure the other guy with a bullet, not burn yourself needlessly.

#25 ·
I'll take two extra rounds, and easier to carry with similar ballistics (with buffalo bore .380) and a faster and easier to conceal reload.

Unless I'm in a snubbie mood.

Oh, what the hey, I'll just stick my Glock in my Smartcarry and not worry about it.:smile:

#26 ·
From what I see coming into the Store as trades, I see the 38 Spl snubbies going out the door as fast as the LCP guns, except for no ammo to go in the 380. Not much difference in size except for girth between the LCP and the revolver.. In truth, 5 shots out of the revolver beats the one FTF in the 380.. Just my opinion though.

#29 ·
I have and LCP and an S&W 649 357 magnum. I carry both in the front pocket with a pocket holster without any issues. The 649 is a little heavy (stainless), but if I am carrying the gun and have to use the thing just the noise will stop anyone in their tracks and the bullet certainly packs a punch. However, I do not hesitate to carry the LCP as well as I have done for the last couple of months.

Good luck.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.