Defensive Carry banner

Car carry question

2K views 11 replies 12 participants last post by  JustinG 
#1 ·
Hey guys, I'm looking for a good holster for my g19 that will fit in the door pocket of my truck for switching from IWB carry to getting in my truck. The door in question is on a 2001 f150 but I figure any holster that fits well in a door pocket will work. Anyone got suggestions?

#2 ·
I always preach using a good holster, but in this case it might be OK to somehow attach a cheaper nylon holster to 'in the car' attachment.

I have a cheapie padded holster (one size fits many) lodged between my seat and console. I sometimes remove the Glock from my holster and place it in the 'extra' holster. Sometimes I keep the Glock in place and just put a revolver in the 'extra' holster. It depends upon the area I may be traveling in...:rolleyes:

#3 ·
I remember a holster that has a strap that wraps around the seat and attaches so that the gun is drawn from the underside of the seat in front of you. I don't remember who makes it. Maybe someone knows. I don't know if that would work for you either.

#4 ·
Take a look at the Safepacker.

From Wilderness Tactical. Great little set up. You can thread the seat belt through it instead of putting the gun in the door pocket.

They have pics on their website. The advantage to this over the door pocket is that you will be reminded to take your weapon with you when you unbuckle and if a carjacker opens your door your weapon wont be out of reach.

I pocket carry on occassion and came to realize that I'd never be able to get to my pistol quickly. I've been trying to decide between the Safepacker and one of Tommy's Pistol Packs now.

Off the body carry has some advantages but it takes some getting used to.

Good luck,

Rick

#5 ·
I jam a Desantis Nemisis Pocket holster between the seat and the console for my G26. It stays put because of the tacky rubber outside. It is right next to my thigh and can be drawn with my strong hand as quick as lightning.

#7 ·
I have a cheapie velcroed inside my console. The top flips out to the right and it is handy. I suspect that you could do the same in the door panel.

#8 ·
Your car cannot obtain a permit...therefore it cannot carry.

#9 ·
I'm one that doesn't care for "car carry". It's too easy to get separated from your weapon in any number of ways.

To each their own but my weapon stays on me unless I'm locking it up.

For your interest however, I'd get an inexpensive nylon holster.

#11 ·
Ilike a few pictures I have seen of people taking cheap Kydex holsters (Uncle Mikes, Fobus, and velcro-ing them to the side of the lower console, right next to their right calf, upper ankle area. The kydex provides positive retention, and the gun is readily accessible and out of sight.

#12 ·
I too use a cheap nylon holster and cram in between my seat. I have a 98 Chevy and it has a 60/40 front seat so there is a crack in between the driver seat the the rest of the bench of the front seat.

80% of the time it stays on me however, but when I'm making a long trip back home I sometimes take it out and stuff it between the seats for the last few hours of the drive.

The one reason I don't like it between my seats is occasionally it will fall through and then I have to dig for the gun. If I were to ever need it I wouldn't want to have to be reaching for my weapon. Also, I hit a deer awhile back and the gun came flying out of the seat and landed by my pedals. That, to me, is just plain dangerous. If it was more secure I would probably carry it there more often, but for now it usually stays on me.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.