Defensive Carry banner

Some guns shoot point of aim, some don't

13K views 13 replies 13 participants last post by  1 old 0311 
#1 ·
Was wondering why some guns shoot point of aim and some don't? Between guns I own, shooting a friend's gun and guns I have rented, I notice some guns shoot where I line them up and some shoot a few inches low.

A gun doesn't vary it's placement either. If it shoots at a certain place once, it shoots it there every time (if I'm shooting correctly of course). Example: I've owned a XD 9 for about 5-6 years and can keep a somewhat tight group, but it aims a little low and the group is spread out to the 4 - 5 inch circle. I shot a friend's 92FS ONCE and was punching the center out of the target.

I am a fairly consistent shooter in that most of my groups are within a four - five inch diameter (roughly), just not always in the place I put the sights.

Any suggestions as far as if it's sights, if the gun just doesn't like me, etc. would be helpful. Usually shoot @ 7 yds. Thanks for your time and a great forum.

#2 ·
3 things: Proper grip...trigger control...see the FRONT sight not the target.

If you can master these three things, you will be more than a fairly consistent shooter and your groups will tighten. JMO

BTW..Welcome to Defensive Carry from South Carolina...

#3 ·
Some guns are set up from the factory to have what is known as a 6 o'clock hold. Where if you are aiming at a bullseye target, you basically aim at the bottom of the target. I believe the theory behind this is it allows you to see the whole target as you fire.

#6 ·
Point of Impact
Shooters may use a “point of aim” sight picture at 25
yards (See Figure 40-1). This means that, at 25 yards, the
bullet should impact the target at the point visible at the
top of the front sight. Shooters may also use a “6 o’clock”
sight picture to strike the center of the target. Springfield
Armory® firearms are designed to use the “6 o’clock” sight
picture at 25 yards (See Figure 40-2). However, some
firearms may shoot “point of aim” at 25 yards depending
on shooter and ammunition. Changing brand or type of
ammunition may alter point of impact.
Note: Use only clean, dry, original, high-quality,
That is from the xd's owners manual, which I found at Springfield Armory's site. They also have diagrams to go with it. So if your xd is hitting a little low of point of aim, it is doing what it should be.

#7 ·
How could a gun NOT point and aim...you just have to figure out where it's pointing when you aim (peripheral vision can be your friend)...take a point shooting class. After about 1500 rounds in just a few days, you'll start to figure out where to point.

I know it's not that simple, but one does not need the sights to hit the target...every time.:bier

#8 ·
Also guns are sighted in with one partigular bullet weight. Heavier, slower bullets will hit higher on the target than a lighter, faster one held to the same point of aim. (The slower bullet is in the barrel longer, giving the muzzle more time to rise under recoil.)

38 revolvers with fixed sights were usually sighted with standard velocity 158 grain loads for example. Change the load, change the point of impact.

#9 ·
Different eyes, different loads, different grips, different trigger pulls, et cetera.

In general, it the gun groups well but off target, either the sights or shooter needs adjustment.

#11 ·
When I first got my XDm .40SW, I would hit consistently low and to the left, I could not figure it out for the life of me. I handed the gun to my buddy (who is a very good shot) and he would consistently drill holes into the bullseye. Finally he suggested that I put a few snap caps in the magazine, mixed with live rounds, so I could see what happened with my sights when I was 'expecting' a live round.

Prior to this, I was used to firing a very nice 1911 with a light, crisp, and very short-pull trigger. I was always spot-on with this gun.

I found that at the very end of my trigger pull (which is much longer and softer than the 1911) the sight was consistently moving down and to the left.

I then got very serious about dry fire practicing at home. Once I developed the correct muscle memory to keep the sights straight, I was shooting very well.

For me, it was ALL about trigger control. I know the XD and the XDm both have similar triggers, so this could be your issue.

If not, then the sights are probably off :embarassed:

#12 ·
Some guns are just slightly(or majorly) messed up from the factory(sights)..some are not ive had guns dead on and ive had them that even aiming out of a ransom rest were 4" left and 3" low....that rest takes the human equation out of it...I did the rest test with that gun(Taurus PT99) to prove to a guy it was just that I could not shoot...once the sights were adjusted on it it ran PERFECT and was the ONLY gun ive ever owned that never had a single malfunction in over 2500+ rounds out of it. But out of the box the sights were way off...luckily that was the adjustable sight model..it gets harder when they become fixed...I had a buddy that had a snubby that shot about 3" low no fix to that as the sights were not adjustable he got sick of holding high and traded it off eventually. Those were the only 2 guns ive had experience with that were way off from the factory.

#13 ·
...I had a buddy that had a snubby that shot about 3" low no fix to that as the sights were not adjustable he got sick of holding high and traded it off eventually. Those were the only 2 guns ive had experience with that were way off from the factory.
There is a fix for that...a file and a retouch on the finish. That or have a good 'smith do it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.