Defensive Carry banner

Recommend a new EDC pen for me

13K views 25 replies 21 participants last post by  mercop 
#1 ·
I currently carry an F. Perrin defensive pen, and need some suggestions on replacing it.

It's a stylish pen and I like the weight and length, but having a cap on it is just a pain. Half the time, it pops off when I try to take the pen out of my pocket, or when I hold it tightly in a hammerfist. Also, because the pen sits normally tip up, all the ink runs to the bottom and I end up drawing swirls for 10 seconds before I can get any ink out of it. Anyway, I finally decided it's time to move on.

I'm looking for something like the Surefire EWP-01, but without the outrageous pricetag. Something sturdy and hefty, but that doesn't scream "improvised weapon". I really like the fact that the Surefire has no cap. My next pen will for sure be either a clicky or twisty pen.

As much as I like the Surefire, I don't think I can bring myself to spend $130 on it. So what else is out there? Surely there must be other companies who make steel or aluminum clicky pens, but charge reasonable prices for them, right?

#2 ·
wow, I never even considered a defensive pen.

Learn something new everyday.

#4 ·
Yeah, I really like the idea of using a sturdy pen as a kobutan. Plus, I can take it anywhere, even on a plane, without anyone freaking out. After all, it's just a pen.

Pocket Shark

I like this, but I think its a marker not a pen?

EDIT: A quick google search revealed:

Amazon.com: Smith & Wesson SWPENMPBK Military and Police Tactical Pen, Black: Home Improvement

Not as expensive, but definitely screams WEAPON.

ThinkGeek :: Uzi Tactical Pen

Same thing, definitely not as expensive, but screams weapon. My question is quality? for the price its almost worth it.

Pens Product List | Benchmade

holy cow! Who knew benchmade made pens? but removeable caps are a killer for me too. The cap'd be lost the first day lol
Those are about the same ones I've found too. The Sharkie isn't what I'm looking for - too fat, obviously designed as a weapon, and I've heard it's almost impossible to find ink cartridges for them.

The S&W and Benchmade pens all have a removable threaded cap. This is great when using them defensively, but really gets in the way for every day use as a writing implement. I used to carry a KZ defensive pen that used the same design - that didn't last long. On top of the cap issues, it screamed weapon and I never got up the guts to try to take it through TSA security.

That pen was what drove me to look at the Perrin. It's sleek and attractive just as a pen, and has no angular spikes or tactical olive drab to give away its secondary purpose. I've flown with it many times, and loaned it to co-workers and friends without a second glance from anyone.

I like that Uzi pen in that it has no cap, and looks to be well built. If not for the obvious knurling and the silly "DNA catcher" spike on the end, it would be perfect. The crowned version isn't much better, but maybe I could take a bench grinder to it and flatten it off. Might be worth trying for the price.

Anyone have any other suggestions?

#3 ·
Pocket Shark

I like this, but I think its a marker not a pen?

EDIT: A quick google search revealed:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0..._m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=0FA3KBD5P4JAF5F7TX5X

Not as expensive, but definitely screams WEAPON.

http://www.thinkgeek.com/gadgets/tools/dd7c/#description

Same thing, definitely not as expensive, but screams weapon. My question is quality? for the price its almost worth it.

http://www.benchmade.com/products/product_list.aspx?category=52

holy cow! Who knew benchmade made pens? but removeable caps are a killer for me too. The cap'd be lost the first day lol

#5 ·
Not that they are intended to be used as weapons, but I have always been partial to the Fisher Space Pens. They don't leak, write on anything, have pressurized refills, so they even write upside down and you can use them in freezing conditions!
Fisher Space Pen Co.

Just my $.02

#6 ·
I carry a benchmade pen and it's been very good. The top just snaps on, it's not threaded but it is VERY secure. I just flew yesterday and it went threw security with out a second glance. The offer the benchmade in both stainless and aluminum. I really liked the look of the stainless one but it was too dang heavy.

The other thing I should mention is that they use the space pen refills. This is great because they are easy to find, they never leak and they will arts on just about anything.

#10 ·
I carry a benchmade pen and it's been very good. The top just snaps on, it's not threaded but it is VERY secure. I just flew yesterday and it went threw security with out a second glance. The offer the benchmade in both stainless and aluminum. I really liked the look of the stainless one but it was too dang heavy.
Hm, I thought for sure they had threaded caps. I'm pleased to hear that they don't, but I still wish they had no caps at all. They also seem to all be about the same price as the Surefire that I like.

The Mil-Tac looks a little high-profile to me, with the fluting and obvious point. Plus it's threaded according to the reviews I've read.

#8 ·
how about a 6" piece of dowel..harmmless looking and accepted everywhere...slip it in your pocket and you dont even have to remove it for a metal detector...you can carry several in a piece of carry on luggage and nobody is going to question them...if they do its therapy for your arthritis or you roll them under your feet for massage...and you can make 6 of them for $1.99...but its not a cool $40 tactical pen...

#21 ·
I've had one of those Fisher Bullet Space Pens for years, and love it. I don't know how many times it's been through the wash because I forget I've got it in my pocket.

I've found that a simple, traditional Cross pen would make a nice defensive tool in a pinch. Never needed to try it, but it's strong, sharp, and would certainly ruin someone's day. It's also one of the most common pens out there, and elicits no TSA stares when travelling. The mechanical pencil is even sharper at the point. There is no need to remove the lid if I might need to employ it. While I'm not allowed to carry at work (not getting into that debate here), I've always got a Benchmade folder, a Surefire light, and that Cross pen.

Cheers.

#12 ·
Wow. I'm really slow on the take sometimes. I noticed the other day that the Benchmade website had pens but it never occurred to me that they were intended for tactical use. Now I have to ask the dumb question, how is a tactical pen different from any other pen? How are you supposed to use a tactical pen? I mean you could stab someone in the eyeball with a bic, so I'm sure that this isn't the intended use or why spend big money on a pen to do something that an el-cheapo can do?

#15 ·
The idea behind the "tactical" pens is to ruggedize an everyday carry-anywhere item. Any pen can be used defensively as a kobutan, but the cheap plastic ones are likely to snap after the first strike, or bend when used as a pain compliance or joint control tool. A well-built aluminum or steel pen will be sturdy enough to use as many times as necessary if that is your only weapon.

Better: The ASP Street Defender. This is a kubaton with a CS option. Mace your target first, then go to town.
Good luck taking that one on an airplane. If I'm attacked while somewhere that I can legally carry CS, I'm going to reach for my pistol first. The whole reason I'm looking for a pen is as a force multiplier while in a controlled area, like an airport or a federal facility.

I appreciate all the suggestions. I'm still looking for the "perfect" pen, but for now, I picked up a Zebra F-701 at wally world for $4. It's a clicky pen (twist would be better), all steel, decent weight, but could be a little bigger around for a better grip. It held up to me trying to bend it with all my strength, so I think it would do ok if I had to use it defensively.

I guess I can start saving my pennies for that Surefire pen, but dang - I can think of a lot of other things worth spending $100 on.

#13 ·
I have the Fisher Military Pen. It's all metal, clicky style, no cap to lose and the pocket clip is firmly attached - writes every time, even on wet or slick paper and upside down angles. When everybody else is scribbling to get their pen to write...
I must say that I use it for writing though, there's a lot of other things that I would grab before I went for my pen.

#19 ·
That zebra would be perfect if it were a bit larger in diameter and about 1/2" longer. As is, it's difficult for me to get a good solid grip, and the tip doesn't protrude quite far enough from my hand to be an effective hook.

I also picked up a stainless steel sharpie yesterday just to try it out. Nice pen, it like the size, and the ability to write on anything. Unfortunately, the entire front half of the pen is composed of the plastic ink cartridge, and the back half is very very thin steel. I can flex it pretty easily, and I could just imagine the top popping off and the ink cartridge cracking in half if I hit anything with purpose.

#20 ·
#23 · (Edited)
For those of you with a Zebra 701, you can swap the ink cartridge with a Fisher Space Pen cartridge. It roughs up the clicking a bit, but works fine. You can the Fisher cartridges at any Staples or Office Depot for about $6 and they write great. I tried to use the heavier-duty 401 cap with this combo but the wider barrel before the nib of the Fisher than a Zebra cartridge means that it won't positively click into place 100%.

Other options are a Parker Jotter in stainless and the matching mechanical pencil. Any Cross pen, as mentioned above, and these were used defensively as far back as the 1970s in various dojos. The Fisher Astronaut Pen runs about $50 and is is solid brass and steel in construction which should prove more than adequate to any defensive use.

#24 ·
I use to carry a Mont Blanc for years until eventually it broke twice. Since then, I simply carry whatever feels good in my hand. HOWEVER, I do have an affinity towards precision instruments like most of us in the gun hobby. Personally, I think the notion of ‘tactical’ pens is utterly BS. Still, I like them simply for their build quality and to date, I haven’t found anything better than the SureFire EWP-01.

http://www.surefire.com/maxexp/main...=6&prrfnbr=24555&sesent=0,0&search_id=2163389

#26 ·
I have a course dedicated to the Combat Pen/Kubaton. I fly all the time with the Schrade pen. That said most people only consider hammer fisting when it comes to using the pen. There are more effective uses that will more readily present themselves during and actual attack. Get some training and just carry a pen, there is no best. When flying just put it in your back when going through security instead of laying it out in the open. Then put it back on

.- George

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.