Defensive Carry banner

Cover garments in the office?

2K views 16 replies 14 participants last post by  kikr 
#1 ·
I'm a few months from finishing graduate school and starting a career wearing a shirt and tie. For about the last 10 years my wardrobe has consisted of hawaiian shirts and shorts so concealment was easy.

I'd like to pick up some discrete cover garments that look nice with a shirt and tie.

Suit coats are an obvious choice but I just don't enjoy wearing them. I end up removing them the first chance I get. I don't mind wearing a nice vest though. I've asked about vests in "suit stores" before but all they have are vests cut above the belt line (or right at).

I'd love pictures or links to places where I might be able to find products that fit my need. Honestly I think that any vest that doesn't have to 1000 pockets would probably look fine in a business office environment.

I'm open to all suggestions though.

#3 ·
Vests that are part of vested suits are usually fitted and cut for the waist - not much room for concealment without going to custom tailoring.

Vests that are separates, worn under a jacket or blazer, are usually cut a little longer and fuller. A vest might provide enough concealment, as long as you aren't having to do a lot of bending and stretching in your job.

If I were going to be working in a shirt/tie environment and wanted to wear a vest, I'd go with a jacket, separate vest and slacks, rather than a suit. Or I'd skip the vest and go with a jacket that conceals well, and simply accept that I have to wear the jacket in order to carry.

#6 ·
dr_cmg said:
Check this site. http://www.abetterholster.com/ In stead of thinking of cover garment, think under garment.
Agreed ^^

For an office environment either that or a proper concealment holster be it a kydex Blade-Tech IWB/UCH or if leather is preferred one of the umpteen leather holsters available such as a Galco Skyops.

- Janq

#10 ·
Before the night is over expect to hear from fed_wif_a_sig about the UC Comfort shirt, but you don't have to wait. Check the last 3 posts on Mr_Dove's Innovations in Carry thread.

#11 ·
#13 ·
Dang am I that predictable? I just got in from another 20 hour duty day and yes the UC Comfort again worked flawlesly. Today I dressed down, just slacks and a dress shirt.

Combat Efective......In reference to the Action direct holster you listed, they work great (a couple of our guys wear them) but I have heard them complain after a long day about the shoulder straps digging in. One went to far as to go by a sewing shot and buy those old pads they use to put in shoulders of shirts to take the weight off.

Doc....Its a pleasure to meet you and Chris....you da man (again).

#16 ·
Ahhhh I love it when people ask that question. Blue I am a hugh fan of the UC Comfort for a specific type of concealment. Business environment where concealment is the highest priority. Thus eliminating an untucked shirt. Chris listed a link to an earlier post we did on this subject and the pictures I took. I have worn a t-shirt type holster for the past 14 years and it is my primary carry rig when wearing business clothes. When my assignement is more dressed down its a different story. However I have modified all my dress shirts to have snaps behind the buttons to facilitate a faster draw and have practiced with the rig so for me its perfect. Hope that helps.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.