Defensive Carry banner

SOG Aegis or Spyderco Endura 4

9K views 17 replies 14 participants last post by  NCHornet 
#1 ·
Looking for a new EDC. Of these two, which would you choose and why? I can get the SOG brand new for $46 delivered and the Spyderco for $60 delivered. Which holds a better edge for normal cutting tasks?

#2 ·
I'm not familiar with the aegis but I currently carry a endura 4 and freaking LOVE it. It's big enough for heavy duty work but small enough for EDC work. Razor sharp. wicked fast to deploy. Plenty light, great lock up etc etc etc. Hands down the best knife i've owned.

#5 ·
Another vote for Spyderco Endura 4. It's my EDC (FRN Black Blade Combo Edge) and I love it. It holds a great edge yet is easy to sharpen. The AUS-8 steel in the Aegis is a good steel, but is a bit softer than the VG-10 in the Endura, the latter holding its edge better. I also like the one-handed opening of the Spyderco w/o the need for springs w/the SOG. Personal preference thing.

#6 ·
Go Spyderco. I have both and the Spydee is the better knife. It holds an edge longer. And just seems to be made better. My SOGs edge seems to chip real easy. And is harder to sharpen. Im a Spydee man from here on out.

#7 ·
I own an Aegis and a couple of Spyderco's. First, let me say this, Spyderco quality is unsurpassed by any other given the price per value you get.

I really like the Aegis, I like the styling of the blade, its sharp. Though its a softer steel, so it needs sharpening more than the Spyderco's. Assisted opening is quick, not the fastest out there though. It opens smoothly and locks up tight. The gymping (spelling check?) on the blade really locks your thumb down. Over all a nice knife for the price.

My Spyderco's are my favorite though, I just really like the quality of build and quality of steel used on most of their models. Currently own a Centofante III and a Tenacious.

#9 · (Edited)
My comment will probabaly confuse you more than help but it may not. Carry and get them both. Not sure about that SOG Aegis model but if it has a alternate pocket clip side unlike the Endura you can have one for both your left and right side pocket. I'm a cop and I regularly carry my SOG Flash II on my left side and my Endura or a Cold Steel Extra Large Voyager on my right side.
The serrated spyder edge of the Spyderco models are unreal nasty sharp but a ***** to sharpen on those rare occasions that you need to sharpen them unlike the either straight edge or combo edges of most SOG Knives, plus my Flash II gets a real sharp edge real quick though the quality on my Flash isn't as good as Japanese steel made in Seki City.

#11 ·
sounds like the spyderco is they way to go. Unfortunately i can't afford both or i would. So between the endura or centofante which would you choose? Both are the same price.
endura.

#14 ·
Endura....Like American Express, I NEVER leave home without my Spyderco Endura...JMO

#15 ·
I would go with the SOG as a pure personal choice because I just don't like the shape of the Endura blade. It's purely an aesthetic thing with that particular knife. The Endura is no doubt a top of the line excellent blade but I just can't bring myself to buy one because I just don't like the looks of it. Yeah, I know... pretty lame reason, but I would go with the SOG because I don't think you're getting any less of a great knife.

#17 ·
I think you can tell by this picture which one I EDC... Endura 4.

Wouldn't have any other knife, other than my Endura and my Gerber.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.