Defensive Carry banner

Olympic AR-15 9mm that takes Glock mags.

21K views 15 replies 14 participants last post by  jonconsiglio 
#1 ·
I own several 9mm Glocks and was considering getting the Olympic AR-15 that takes the Glock mags in 9mm. Thought it would be nice to have a rifle that shot the same caliber and actually used the same mags as my pistol. Anyone own have any experience with this gun?

Thanks!

#3 ·
Maybe I should buy some more 33rd Glock magazines?

#5 ·
No experience with the Oly, but I just had a Lone Wolf AR/Glock in the shop. The gun itself was fine, the owner screwed it up trying to add some Taiwan Tactical stock to it. They're great. The only downside is they aren't compatible with other uppers. I have a ton of Sten magazines and was going to use one of my stripped lowers to make a 9mm eith Olympics Sten conversion, now after shooting the Lone Wolf I think I'll keep the Sten mags for another project (MAC M11) and go with a Glock mag AR.

#7 ·
Olympic Arms is generally considered to be at the lower end of AR platform rifle makers. Would it sever as a decent HD rifle....likely but not as well made as rifles from the better combat worthy makers like LMT, BCM, Colt, Noveski and Danial Defence. But basically on Par with Bushmaster, DPMS, Rock River and some others who make a decent rifle. They may have the only Glock compatable AR though so you may have to go that route for an AR with Glock mags compatability.

#8 ·
Lone Wolf makes a Glock compatable lower. Oly is the only company that offers a Sten magazine lower where others use modified Uzi magazines. The Uzi is a double column feed, the Sten is a single feed magazine ( and is available at dirt cheap prices ).

I own a lot of each kind of magazine (and in true gun-nut style I don't actually own anythng the Sten mags fit...yet ). I believe when I build a pistol caliber AR, it will be a Glock compatible lower. Oly is OK, but we do a lot of business with Lone Wolf where I work so I'll probably get a better deal from them.

#11 ·
+1 I love my Subbie. :wink: Looking at the cost of the Olympic, you could buy two new SUB-2000s and still have money left for a few 33 round mags and ammo.

#12 ·
Handgun / carbine alternatives

I too have been searching for a 9mm or 40 cal carbine (Glock mag compatible) as I own multiple Glocks. I stumbled on Mech Tech (MechTech - Home) - just as I found this site by chance. Mech Tech manufactures carbine conversions for most Glocks and 1911's. At first I was skeptical, but the site is very informative and the product appears well designed and nicely machined. This could prove to be a great alternative as opposed to the Olympic, Kel-tec Sub 2000, Ruger PC, or other; especially for Glock owners with mutiple models of the same cal. (19, 17 -22, 23).

#13 ·
Did the ATF ever rule on converting the Mech Tech from carbine back into a pistol?

Also new since this ancient thread was started is the "JRC" Just Right Carbine from EMF. It's a totally ambi design with a Glock magwell. I saw one at the gunshop but didn't get to shoot it. One is on my "eventually" list.

I have one of the Rugers and its nice, but a bit clunky with a pretty heavy bolt. Mine is marked "Police Carbine" instead of PC, and it served as a companion to my P85 and 89 for years.

#15 ·
Well I'd like to have a semi-auto pistol carbine myself. The old Tommy guns were pretty good, so I think a pistol carbine would be nice. I'd like the 9mm variety Thereon defense , Keltec, Oly or a lone wolfe.

Having both the carbine and the rifle in the same caliber would be nice hence the choosing the 9mm. A 45 would be a better choice but the cost difference in ammo is the deciding factor for me.

And yes I'd like a AR in 5.56 also.

#16 ·
I wouldn't suggest anything Olympic. If you want a good 9mm sub gun, there's a couple decent options out there and an AR coming from Colt soon as well, so I hear. I had an MP5 and though it had it's role, it's not someone I'd choose for home defense when other options are available.

Everyone is different, but I take the defense of my family extremely serious especially after almost shooting those guys breaking in last year. So, I spend the money on quality (and training) and I prefer 5.56. Will defeat a vest but also not over penetrate and not be AS deadly after penetrating the interior/exterior walls as much as even a 9mm or 45.

If this is a range toy, go for it and enjoy. If it's a home defense weapon, don't make a choice based on magazine availability.

Reactions: QKShooter
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.